Nice rooms and facilities, but stale smelling room and noisy
I stayed in two resorts while on Mauritius: Constance Belle Mare Plage Hotel at the east coast for 300 euro per night half board and Sofitel at the west-coast for 150 euro per night incl breakfast (stay 4 nights, pay for 3 package). Both stays I booked directly through the hotels website a few days earlier, and both were the cheapest rooms available.
The grounds and rooms are very nice.
But as soon as I entered the stale smelling room, where obviously people had been smoking- I realised that when booking on the website, it had not asked for a smoking or non-smoking preference. According to staff I should have made a request for non-smoking room. I recommended that they would give the choice when booking, as I hardly have encountered hotels were people still can smoke in the room. I was given a non-smoking room only the next day. The stale room is the reason for a low score on cleanliness.
Furthermore it is a very noisy place.
I asked for a quiet room when booking. The first day there was a day long annual children’s activity on one side of the complex at the boathouse/restaurant, with loud music audible on the grounds and in my room.
I was recommended to lounge on the grounds further away, but gardening with motorised equipment was going on. So no quiet relaxing there.
When I complained, I received a complementary visit to the musical spa, which was nice and relaxing. But I also asked that as I had to change to a non-smoking room anyway, shouldn’t I move to a room on the other side of the complex, away from the boathouse and restaurant. According to staff my room was really on the quiet side, and the noise would only last for that day.
Well, the next day gardening started on my side of the building, with again a lot of motorised equipment.
The third day, they started cutting two trees at the section where my room was, with motorised saws and sawing the branches in smaller pieces, which took some time as well. What do you mean this is the quiet part of the building?
Furthermore, it seems that it is deemed necessary to put music on in all the public areas such as the lobby and restaurants, as if the sound of the waves, the rustling of the palmtrees and the laughter of the kids playing (I am getting mushy here) is too quiet.
Totally annoying was that in some area's (lobby) you could hear two kinds of music, f.e. the band playing live music and the recorded music in the lobby.
On the positive: compared with Constance Belle Mare Plage Hotel, the rooms look much fancier, with a partly wooden floor, a small walk in closet, and a beautiful appointed bathroom with separate rain shower and a detachable shower, and really separate toilet.
The bathroom does have shutters that you can open, to watch tv in your bed. In this case no tap poking in your back as was the case in Belle Mare Plage.
Coffee and tea making facilities are standard, (in belle mare plage you had to ask for them) and the bed is much softer, lovely! And love small details such as daily complementary bottle of water.
Be aware there can be noise from rooms above, probably because of the wooden floors. I would advise the upper (second) floor to avoid that (my non-smoking room was on second floor, more privacy on balcony as well).
There is adsl and wireless in the room, both are not free.
Breakfast buffet offers plenty of choice, with fresly squeezed orangejuice.
Room service; taste of dish was okay, but it arrived almost cold.
One reviewer mentioned central airconditioning; the airco in my room could be totally controlled from the room.
Pool: with its pale blue coloured tiles it looks less fancy than the pools at Belle Mare, but the pool is huge and clean, with plenty of space for kids and for people who want to swim laps at the same time. No complaints there.
And big big plus are the daybeds and hammocks in the gardens. Loved it!!!
Snorkelling was not good, bad visibility and not very interesting coral. A trip to black river was supposedly good for snorkelling according to boat house lady, but could not go through, as visibility was too bad.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the delights of Mauritius at this luxury hotel, which spreads over 9 hectares of tropical garden on the west coast of the island. Most of our rooms and suites have been fully renovated in a modern Asian decor using natural materials. Rooms are equipped with broadband Internet access and the Sofitel MyBed for ultimate comfort. Pamper yourself at our Asian style spa, enjoy a day at the golden beach, or savour gourmet cuisine in our restaurant and we will make sure you relax in style! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Southall Travel, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Mauritius l`Imperial Resort And Spa
- Sofitel Mauritius l`Imperial Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sofitel Imperial Hotel
- Accor Imperial Hotel
- Sofitel Flic En Flac
- Wolmar Sofitel
- Sofitel Imperial Mauritius
- Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa Flic En Flac