I spent a very pleasant and comfortable 10 nights at The Sands. When I booked I hadn't realised two things: that August was in Mauritius’s winter season and that the half board option was only for the buffet dinner.
Luckily, as it turned out, this wasn't as disastrous as it might have been. When I holiday I like a complete change from the British weather (that is, very warm, sunny and reliable) and I dislike buffet restaurants for dinner.
The weather was not as hot as I would have liked it to be but it was reasonably warm during the day if a little chilly at night and we only had one rainy day. This would suit people who don't like it hot.
The food in the buffet restaurant was very good though. It was delicious, well presented and the theme night menus meant that there was a lot of variety. We didn't have the same food twice in the 10 nights we were there. I especially enjoyed the Chinese night but found that the food was a little cold. This is a disadvantage of buffet dining, but fortunately the restaurant manager assured us that we could have food heated up if it wasn't hot enough for us. Unfortunately ,we didn't find this out until later in our holiday. The desserts were the best I have ever seen or tasted and cut into small, delicate portions for sampling!. There was such an irresistible variety that I had to lose a few ponds when I got home! We also splashed out on the lobster dinner on the beach and this was excellent and well worth the price tag.
The breakfast buffet was fine and the hot/cook to order section was particularly good. I felt there could have been more choice of fruit and juice. I saw a few pieces of chipped crockery which I should not have seen in a 4 star hotel. The other hygiene issue was juice and cakes left uncovered for the birds to peck at. However, these are minor, easily resolved issues that didn't seriously detract from the comfort of this lovely hotel.
The room was spacious with seating area, enormous bathroom and walk in wardrobe area and I liked the subtle neutral decor.
There was an amazing view from the pool and beach. Unfortunately, we has to put towels out in order to get a beach umbrellas but there were usually enough umbrellas around the pool.
The staff were absolutely wonderful - attentive and professional at all times, but relaxed enough to crack the occasional joke with guests. Any issues were immediately resolved.
I would recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa is a 4 star deluxe all Suite hotel situated in Wolmar, on the west coast of Mauritius. With its 92 spacious suites, 3 restaurants, spa, entertainment facilities, fine sandy beach, crystal clear lagoon and unrivalled view across the Bay of Tamarin and Le Morne, this resort is the ideal hideaway for those looking for serenity, comfort and personalised service in an elegant setting and typical Mauritian architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TravelUp, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sands Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Resort Mauritius
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac