My wife and I stayed here the middle two weeks of September. The hotel is placed at the end of the coast road from Flic en Flac, this is a good thing as you only have one other hotel next to you on the beach. The other side of you is a 20 minuet walk into Tamarin bay.
The arrival is swift and easy you are taken to the bar area and offered a welcome drink and 10 minuets later you are off to your room. The rooms are the same all with sea views just set over three floors, apart from one large two story suite. We had a ground floor room (130) in the Tamarin wing which had everything you needed for a holiday. The only down side was the iron, it is just a hot plate. I feel it needs to be upgraded to a steam iron as the iron at the moment struggles to remove creases from linen items.
The food was fantastically good you will never have the same themed night over a two week period, but you may put some weight on due to it being a buffet with large plates especially the deserts. We did eat in the Spices one night and the extra money that we had to pay was well worth it, this food would not be out of place in a top London restaurant.
The beach is cleaned every morning but you will still need some sort of water shoes as there is a lot of dead coral in the swimming area. You can book a swim with dolphins with an outside company but I would save your money and go with the hotel boat house as it is cheaper and closer (Rs700 P/P). There is also lots of other free things to do at the boat house with well looked after equipment.
The bar is near the pool and does loads of different cocktails made by an award wining barman. The pool is always warm and is large enough for the hotel with fabulous views across the bay. The spa was being revamped while we were there but we could have used the spa next door at the Maradiva although we did not.
Now for the top tips:
1. The nearest Spar shop is in Flic en Flac a Rs250 taxi ride or an hours walk down the beach.
2. Don't pay an agent for visits book a hire car for 4 days and go at your own pace for cheaper.
3. For a great lunch walk to Tamarin bay and find the noodle shack on the beach road.
I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff at the hotel who really did make our stay fantastic. Please look for my other reviews on Mauritius.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa is a 4 star deluxe all Suite hotel situated in Wolmar, on the west coast of Mauritius. With its 92 spacious suites, 3 restaurants, spa, entertainment facilities, fine sandy beach, crystal clear lagoon and unrivalled view across the Bay of Tamarin and Le Morne, this resort is the ideal hideaway for those looking for serenity, comfort and personalised service in an elegant setting and typical Mauritian architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Sands Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Resort Mauritius
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac