To start with the good points: Angelfish did a first class job of organizing the holdiday to Mauritius especially hotel transfers (we stayed at two hotels) and flight connections.
We stayed at the Sands Resort Hotel for the first four days. Its was well situated on a bay and our room was very comfortable. The problem was the food. The buffet every evening was well below what should have been served at this class of hotel. One one night the lamb joint was served raw (not pink) with blood running out of it as the serving staff hasked it off the bone. Many of the buffet offerings seemed like yesterday's regurgitated meals dressed up as something different.
When it came to the wine, the problems only got worse. The hotel was promoting several wines so you would expect them to have sufficient stock but this proved not to be the case. We were among the few residents drinking wine. On the last evening I asked for the hotels selection but was eventually told it was not available. I then moved on to the second (out of three) special selections to be told this was also not available. I then asked to see the restaurant manager. I suggested to him that I have a similar bottle of wine (same grape) from the main list but at the price of the special selection. The difference was 50 rupees (£1) My wife heard all the conversation. The available bottle duly arrived but when I came to pay for it the full price had been substituted. The restaurant manager was well aware of our conversation and at no stage did he say he could not reduce the price.
When I went to pay our hotel bill on having crossed out the full price and substituted the special offer price this was not acceptable to the hotel manager. He would not honour the deal I had struck with the restaurant manager and said he could not change the price. The restaurant manager would not look me in the eye when I confornted him with the hotel staff and manager looking on. Goodwill was there none nor honesty from head of staff. For these reasons we would never go back to the Sands Resort Hotel nor recommend it to any of our friends. It is simply no way to run an hotel.
As for 20 degrees South our next hotel, it was like chalk and cheese. No recomendation could be higher. A totally different attitude and awareness was self evident. Everything about this hotel was quite exceptional. It saved out holiday and made us freel much better about Mauritius and it's people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa is a 4 star deluxe all Suite hotel situated in Wolmar, on the west coast of Mauritius. With its 92 spacious suites, 3 restaurants, spa, entertainment facilities, fine sandy beach, crystal clear lagoon and unrivalled view across the Bay of Tamarin and Le Morne, this resort is the ideal hideaway for those looking for serenity, comfort and personalised service in an elegant setting and typical Mauritian architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Sunspot Tours, LoveHolidays, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sands Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Hotel Flic En Flac
- Sands Resort Mauritius
- Sands Suites Resort & Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac