“Cozy and beautiful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Accra
“Cozy and beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is a true four star hotel and unless you are looking for privacy and space, this is a very good choice. The beach is nice, great for kids too, the hotel reception is beautiful and so tropical in style, views are scenic and cocktails are very, very good. I was not impressed with food, it was a bit cheap in presentation, quality and taste. Service tends to be a bit slow during lunch time, but all in all this hotel is a value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sister-karamazov

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had a fantastic time at this resort. The location is superb, the facilities are great and the staff were incredibility friendly - they were more like family.

The head chef met us on arrival and we choose the menu for the entire stay and they accommodated it. In fact, they went over and above what we requested. The evening before leaving, the resort arranged a family meal on the beach.

It was our first time there and we'll certainly be visiting again. We met a number of guests for who this was their 2nd or 3rd stay at the hotel because they love it so much. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Travel-Happy-2000
lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at the Sands for four nights, and we were extremely pleased with the helpful, courteous service which we received throughout our stay.
The hotel is situated in a very beautiful spot, overlooking a bay, with Tamarin mountain and Le Morne across the water.
The hotel is spacious enough to feel uncrowded, yet small enough to feel homely.
It may be particularly suited to those with mobility difficulties, as everything is within easy reach, and there are ground-floor rooms opening onto patio areas.
The Achilles heel, in my opinion, was the food. The menus were themed on a daily basis, with Chinese one day, Italian on another day etc.
I found the dishes to be quite bland and lacking in variety.
What we discovered, on enquiring, was that the chefs were willing to prepare specific dishes if given sufficient notice. So we ordered various local dishes, including dhal puris, rougaille and vegetable curries.
My advice to the hotel management would be to offer, each evening, a selection of local Mauritian dishes, thereby letting guests sample dishes with which they may not be familiar.

4 Thank birgitta_7
cape town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Large resorts are not my thing. The idea of queuing for food, en mass sun-worship and inactivity I find unappealing. However having spend 3 nights at the Sands recently, I am something of a convert.
The entrance, bar and open dining area are spacious and tropically tasteful in decor. The rooms are large and well appointed ( though the decor is perhaps a little dated ) and our room on the ground floor allowed us a great sea view and the ease of walking out directly onto the beach. The gardens are lovely and the pool probably one of the better places in the world from which to watch a magnificent sunset. The front of house and bar staff are friendly and the Mojitas are sensational. Breakfast had everything one could wish for except freshly squeezed orange juice and rather poor coffee. The supper buffet is ..well ..a buffet though having said this, the ingredients were fresh and the choice abundant. I prefer to have my food served and to able to distinguish individual tastes - so perhaps I should have reached into the pocket and dined at the al a carte restaurant ). The birds at breakfast were a plus. During and after dinner there was sophisticated live music.
I loved the water and spent hours in the sea. The watersport set up was not explained to me and I didn't bother to ask since I had my own snorkelling equipment ( the coral is bleached and the snorkelling not as good off the shore as elsewhere in Mauritius ). Tamarind beach, a short and shady walk from The Sands has wave action and is relatively free of coral underfoot. Surf lessons and board hire are available there. The public bus leave from the Hilton resort 10 minutes walk away and from here you can explore the island cheaply and safely ( though not in air-conditioning).
Flic-en-Flac town is 20 minute walk or a quick cab ride away.
The front of house manager Melvyn was very helpful in arranging car hire and in offering us a late check-out.
In all The Sands combines the feel of a boutique hotel and the friendly all-inclusive style of a beach resort. ..and very little queuing for food ! I recommend it highly .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Evesham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I don't know where to start with this review, and I don't really want to repeat what previous reviewers have said. I stayed at the Sands with my husband for 9 days, and it was one of (if not the) best holiday we have had.
The room was huge, and very clean. The air conditioning packed a punch. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept on in a hotel, and the pillows were amazing.
The food was great - the breakfast buffet provided an excellent selection every day, and the egg station was brilliant - eggs cooked to order in any way.
Dinner was a bit more hit and miss. Because occupancy was low for the first three days of our stay, a full buffet wasn't offered, and the food was lacking because of it. When the full buffet was provided for the rest of the week, it was much better, but some days were definitely better than others.
In terms of customer service, I cannot enthuse enough about the standard of service and helpfulness we received each and every day. In terms of service alone, the hotel definitely deserves five stars.
The pool area and beach areas were immaculate and absolutely beautiful. Every day we marveled at how spectacular the view was.
We borrowed bikes from the hotel to cycle into Flic en Flac, and we were escorted by Christophe who showed us the sights of the resort. He deserves a shout out for being so helpful, as does Melvyn the Concierge. He arranged car hire for us, where by a car was magically delivered to the hotel for us, and taken away when we had finished.
We also went snorkeling twice during our stay - another activity provided free by the hotel.
If I had to have any niggles (and they are tiny), they would be:
Bar prices are very high at the hotel. As a sweetener, a free bottle of water each day per guest would be most appreciated.
Equally, taxis are expensive, so an occassional free shuttle in to Flic en Flac would be really great - if only once or twice a day, as it is too far to walk.
The evening buffet could be a little hit and miss (I'm a very exacting foodie!!) but overall was fine.
The evening entertainment was a little low key, and normally finished by 10pm, which was a little early if you lingered over dinner.
in conclusion, I would not hesitate to recommend the Sands - in fact, I'm already trying to work out how soon I can return!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tamarin wing and it was great. Get top floor for best views of the beach.
2 Thank donna3101
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

For my honeymoon, I planned and booked at the Sands Resort and Spa in Mauritius. First of all let me tell you that this was an unforgettable experience and I would recommend it to anyone. I would go back there no question. The hotel treated us so well that I really thought that this experience needed to be shared with others.

I booked my honey moon for 12 days for last September 2013. When we arrived at the resort we were treated so well, had our room shown to us and everything explained including the complementary honeymoon special dinner. We then proceeded to have our first dinner. The dinner’s at the resort are buffets, and let me tell you all was better than expected. The variety of food is amazing and we had no complaints. But let me warn you that tasting a bit of everything will make your stomach so full that it might hurt later :-).

Waking up the next morning to the magical sound of waves is unreal. The view from the room is magical, really you are in paradies. We proceeded to have our first breakfast at the resort, and again a buffet of foods. Too much to choose from.

The next few days went by beautifully when we had unexpected news of a death in the family. The staff and indeed the General Manager at the time (Guillaume Brillatz) of the resort were very sympathetic and understanding. The General Manager asked what they could do to help, they phoned the airport to change our flights etc. He further went on to tell me that I must not stress about the remaining days and that he will credit me the remaining 8 days.I thought that this is really worth mentioning as nowadays not a lot of resorts do that, especially on a special honeymoon packages.

Well 5 months went past and we went back to complete our honeymoon with the remaining 8 days this month. A very special thank you as well to the reservation manager (Marlyne Bornes) who was great with the communication via email to re-book and re-plan my honeymoon.

The advantage I had was that I could now compare the hotel again and let me tell you everything was the same as the first time if not better. The service is amazing in this hotel and the food selection extraordinary. Our complements to the Chef’s.
On Valentine’s Day, which also happens to be my wife’s birthday, the Chef made a special cake who he self-delivered to our table, which made the day extra special.

The rooms in the resort are very big and so are the bathrooms. They service the room once in the morning and then once at night, where they also leave a chocolate on the pillows.

When sitting on the beach during the day, waiters come around with complimentary juice drinks and a small variety snack. Some days it was a sandwich other days a small pizza etc.

All in all this has been an unforgettable experience, were the accommodation, food and service has been beyond expectations. I would recommend this resort to anyone as it was recommended to me by my brother in law (GreekMike on Trip Advisor). We will definitely be visiting this resort again.

Thank you again to all the staff and management of the Sands Resort and Spa.

1 Thank John_Panayotou
Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at this superb hotel for 13 nights (Jan/Feb 2014) and we cannot speak too highly of it. The setting is wonderful with a fantastic view from the main restaurant out across the infinity pool towards the sunset. It has its own beach at the end of a long strip which made it feel almost private as few holidaymakers from other hotels would venture our way. There were always sun loungers available on the beach and frequently by the pool as well. We thoroughly enjoyed the facilities like snorkelling, sailing, local cycling and walks, the gym, water-skiing, etc. All at no extra cost and within a few metres walk of our room! This was a truly relaxing holiday but with plenty of activity when you wanted it.

I cannot fault the attitude of the staff in any way - always polite, eager to assist, nothing too much trouble and all looked very smart. I think it unfair to pick out any individual staff for praise - I think they all should be commended - especially with having to deal with a Level 3 cyclone that struck us just before the end of our holiday. They had to cope with clearing up the wet and debris but remained cheerful and continued to serve breakfast. Fantastic! If we decide to return to Mauritius in the future we will look no further than the Sands Resort and Spa. My only disappointment was nothing to do with the hotel - it was a complete lack of trophy fish!

Room Tip: We took advice from Tripadvisor comments and would agree - go for 1st floor in the Tamarin wing. Th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,378 reviews

Been to Sands Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!