“Unbeatable”

Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Flic En Flac
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We spent 16 nights in December in an exclusive Villa right on the beach. We were in heaven. Very relaxing holiday.

Here are some of the good points:-

Villas - unique idea on the island. Very luxurious, private and spacious. Fully equipped with TVs in both lounge and bedroom, Bose ipod connector for both lounge and patio. Individual wifi system that connects the Mauritius telephone company to each villa independently, so although slow compared to European speeds, you dont get peaks and troughs in your download speed. Furniture very comfortable and a really soft four poster bed. Luxurious bathroom with separate toilet and bidet. Outside shower against a screening wall surrounded by flowers and trees. Tea and Coffee making facilities replenished daily and delicious fruit delivered around lunctime. Room-making service is exceptional.

2 Restaurants offering - Japanese, asian and european - all the chefs were very gifted. Particularly good fish (Sachrechien and Daurade). I have never tasted Terriyaki beef softer than this. Desserts are an absolute dream. Dinner on the beach under a tent is highly recommended.

Gardens - these are kept to a high standard and very well stocked with many palm trees and bougainvillae surrounding a fountain in front of the main Reception. Delightful to walk along the main path to dinner every night under the stars.

Beach - very clean and any debris from the sea is removed every morning. Loungers are well spaced and noone encroachs upon the other, unlike other cramped hotel beaches which you will pass if you walk up to Flic en Flac on the beach.

Spa - Very interesting Ayurveda doctor (Aadarsh) who offers some wonderful treatments. Sauna and Jacuzzi and hot pool are a dream to relax in after breakfast.

Staff - the most friendly and helpful personnel we have ever encountered in the dozen or so hotels we have stayed at on the island. They cannot do enough for you. Highly approachable Management (Iain and Kamal) who were extremely friendly and always available. A cut above the rest. We could mention 30 staff by name but it is meaningless as all 240 should be listed. There are some very special ones though - Rishi and Swaraj.

Reception is run by the marvellous Priya and her staff. There are 2 shops selling reasonably priced watches, clothes and sundries - their mosquito spray is highly recommended (!). Hotel does not take huge commission for exchanging Foreign currency, unlike others.

Here are some of the bad points:-

To be honest, no hotel is abolutely perfect but for us, the MV comes close to it.

We finally found our ideal hotel and we highly recommend for couples without very young children who,of course, are catered for but are rarely seen here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chamoixelf
Iain M, General Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for the positive review of our resort. I am truly grateful for the time you have taken to write such detailed comments, which helps us greatly, especially for training and motivating the staff; I am delighted that you really enjoyed your holidays and you appreciated our facilities and services provided. You can be assured I will pass on your comments regarding the team, they will be very happy reading this.

I am pleased to know that you take away many wonderful memories of your stay among us and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

After three years living in Mauritius and visits to many hotels, I thought I knew all that the island had to offer. But then I tried Maradiva. It deliberately follows a different path to the road well trodden by other hotels on the island. Instead of packing in extra rooms, Maradiva has just 63 "villas", all single storey and self-standing. This means that you get unparalleled privacy, and there are no tall structures to dominate your view.
Each villa resembles a good quality five star hotel room on the inside, with a good sized bedroom with very comfortable bed, work desk, wifi/internet, a good quality TV, and a large and well-equipped bathroom with a nice touch - full-length windows in the shower to give you a sense of showering outside. The bathroom also opens into a private side entrance with an outside waterfall shower, enabling you to wash off the sand after a day on the beach and then go straight into the bathroom for a shower and change without trampling through the rest of your room.
But what sets Maradiva apart from other hotels on the island is the extensive verandah, which is like an outside living room with a private plunge pool. Although the furniture looks a little old (possibly because it is outside), the verandah is equipped with all the latest modern facilities such as a nespresso machine and a Bose Wave sound system, as well as a well-stocked minibar. Unlike any other hotel I have stayed in on the island, this means you actually WANT to spend time in your villa, allowing you quality, private time with your partner, family or friends. Perfect for couples wanting a relaxing time together, or families with children. And, because if you choose one of the meals packages the food is still included if it is delivered to your villa (room service is usually outside these packages in Mauritius), you really can have that secluded, private, luxury experience if that is what you want.
The service is also pretty special, even by the very high standards Mauritius sets itself. With only 63 villas, the staff know all of their guests, and cater for their needs individually, usually without you thinking about it (eg the wonderful lady who, without prompting, brought me the plate I had forgotten when she noticed me cutting bread at the breakfast bar). The genuinely personal service even extended to menu planning for my baby - I don't know how we are going to get him back on Bledina after his stay in Maradiva with gourmet food designed for him!
To help you choose if Maradiva is right for you, there are a couple of things you might want to think about:
- first, it is on the west coast, so doesn't have the picture-perfect, stereotypical Indian Ocean turquoise lagoons. Tamarin Bay, where Maradiva is situated, is a beautiful location, framed by mountains to the south, but feels somehow more Mediterranean than Indian Ocean. If you are a fan of snorkelling, you might think about booking a day at the fabulous Ile de Deux Cocos in the marine reserve of Blue Bay to complement your trip. And do take a catamaran trip too - there are dolphins in Tamarin Bay and some easily reachable snorkelling sites where you can visit the turquoise lagoons. The beach at Maradiva is in keeping with the private, secluded feel of the rest of the hotel. So much space for so few people, and they have left the trees which creates some fabulous shaded areas for reading or snoozing without the risk of sunburn, as well as privacy.
- second, it only has 63 villas. In almost all respects this is a huge advantage, but it does mean that the hotel only has two restaurants, one offering Mediterranean dishes, the other Asian (Indian and Japanese) cuisine. The food is fine (and there are no buffet meals, you even order your breakfast freshly cooked from a menu), but if like me you believe that variety is important, you might want to think about negotiating a rate with a couple of nights dinner away if you are staying for 2 weeks - I can recommend some restaurants in the area if you are interested. You also, of course, won't find lively bars in a hotel like Maradiva - or actually in any of the 5-star hotels in Mauritius. But if you think you might want a night out, there are plenty of bars in neighbouring Flic-en-Flac that can cater for you.
We will definitely return to this outstanding property. Its a bit of a secret in Mauritius, and if you choose to stay there, the staff will make you feel as special and unique as Maradiva itself.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nick445
Iain M, General Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review, with some great feedback for us and future guests who are looking to stay with us. I was enchanted to read how much you entirely enjoyed your time at Maradiva; in particular the serenity, privacy, food, activities and the service. I am proud to share your views with my team.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We spent 10 days at Maradiva. It is expensive (the rack rate on our villa was €1000, around $1,400 per night) but all I can say is that everything is, well, a bit average. Most things are more 4 star than 5 star.
The villas are large and comfortable. The promised butler never turned up, but that was fine. The aircon not working, and the way staff just walked into your villa, wasn't so good.
Generally, the staff needed more training. Nothing got done until you found a manag (and I mean getting an espresso at breakfast, not anything major). 5 star properties have staff who can understand simple requests.
The food was pretty boring, other than the curries (Mauritius is around 65% from the Indian subcontinent). All seafood, most fish and most meat are imported frozen. Nothing is seasonal (the island was full of fresh lychee and a range of fruit and vegetables that were in season, but they never appeared on the menu). And the food, while it looks fancy, has little taste, no seasoning and no spice (even the curries). The local food, creole, is great but you won't find that here for some reason.
So, if you want a luxurious and expensive break, and don't mind dull food and average service, this might be the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank David S
Kamal N, Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We truly value this feedback from you and sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

You can be assured your comments have been addressed with the Management team, in order to apply immediate corrective actions. I wish to thank you for your constructive comments that will certainly help us to provide improved consistent services in future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist in the future, I do hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best. i.mccormack@maradiva.com

Reviewed 19 November 2013

If you want a quiet , relaxing holiday then this is the place to go.

The villas are excellent and well positioned for ultimate privacy, they are clean and well decorated, the gardens are maintained beautifully.

The staff at the pool/beach/bar are superb and go out of their way to make your holiday special. Look out for Nazil / Stefan and Bilal
Also Adil in the Coast to Coast was always very obliging and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for him

Prices for drinks etc were what we were expecting having reviewed other comments and having visited the island before, it is £10 for a glass of wine and £ 40 for the bottle, so be prepared

Agree with previous comments that allocation of 6 coffees per day, set a tone which we felt was unnecessary given the price of the holiday and staying in a luxury resort

Previous comments re the Internet were well founded and we were not prepared to accept Kumal’s response which was that it was to do with the main connection to the hotel, the issue was with the routers in the rooms having European plugs whereas the sockets were UK, also the passwords given for your villa are not necessarily correct. Advice is to take a UK to Europe adaptor with you, or the hotel should use the correct routers & plugs.

We visted all of the restaurants, we loved Cilantro (Japanese) what a good experience and amazing food, the Cilantro (Indian) we did not personally like so much, they almost try to hard !!

Coast to Coast had a good variety of food and we liked the fact it was all A La Carte and not buffet. Service could be a bit patchy, it sometimes seemed that there were too many managers and not enough staff. The staff were always pleasant and willing to please, however at times when the restaurant was busy, you could be waiting for a considerable, for Menu’s or bread or someone to take your order etc. We felt this could be easily rectified by staff having allocated tables, rather than serving any table which had guests, which results in things/people being missed.

Cakes were delivered to your villa every afternoon, this was a really nice touch. It would have been nice to have had a couple more of these extras provided as in other hotels, ie mid morning fruit around the pool, ice cream etc

We did have an issue with wanting to reserve a tent for my wifes 50th birthday, admittedly we did leave it late in trying to reserve this, we were told none were available, we then asked to reserve a table in Coast to Coast and were told that was impossible, it seemed that whatever we asked nothing could be done, at the end of the day we told the manager to forget the whole thing. The following day however there had been a change of heart and the manager had not only reserved us a special table but had also reserved us the tent for the following day, We did appreciate this, however it would have been nice for this to have happened in the first instance. It seemed to be more about what they could’nt do rather than what they could.

Overall, with a few tweaks this could be a truly amazing hotel. We would certainly return to Maradiva Villas and would recommend it for that ultimate holiday

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank deaconwife
Kamal N, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay at our resort.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your time at The Resort; in particular the Japanese restaurant and the service in our food and beverage outlets. We are very proud of the entire team and I will be sure to share your comments with them. I also wanted to apologise for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. The details will be reviewed with the team in order for us to improve as we move forward. We thank you for these constructive comments.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Maradiva soon again and would be delighted to assist with the details of a future stay.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

This hotel is sadly not a 5*.

We stayed here for 12 nights of our honeymoon and sincerely wished we hadn't. Whilst the rooms, with the benefit of a private plunge pool and luxurious bathroom, were pleasant enough, the hotel fell considerably short in many other areas.

However, firstly I would like to stress that many of the staff were wonderful, including the team on reception, the waiting staff at Coast 2 Coast and the bar men. Even Brinda our maid was one of the most friendly and helpful people we had the pleasure of meeting. A special mention should also go to Jusveen in Coast 2 Coast. The team in the spa were equally lovely and we enjoyed our complimentary treatment.

Unfortunately, this is where the positive comments end. The manager at the hotel, in our opinion, lacks the ability and drive to operate a 5* star hotel, which from our experience, takes a lot more than simply chatting to some of your guests at dinner. During our stay, I was taken ill with bacterial gastroenteritis and was sick for 7 days. I fell ill almost four days into our honeymoon and at that point we hadn't left the resort. Ultimately, we do not know what caused my illness although it was likely to have been a bacteria in the food - be it undercooked or perhaps from contamination through bird droppings, and antibiotics were needed. This was not a viral infection as confirmed by the Dr. To pick up bacteria in what is held out to be a 5* resort at this cost is terrible enough, however when we reported the matter to the manager he made it perfectly clear it was his priority to try and absolve the hotel of all forms of liability. Upon becoming ill I immediately notified reception and the restaurant manager, given as I have said, we had not left the resort since arriving. Their first question was to ask if I had enjoyed the food? Next was to deny any kind of liability that this could have been the cause. At no point was I asked if I was ok, or if I needed anything to help ease my discomfort. Each time I subsequently saw the manager over the course of the next few days he immediately referred to the outcome of lab tests rather than to enquire of my health or whether there was anything he could do to help.

My illness continued for 4 days when it became clear we needed to call the hotel nurse and ultimately a doctor. The nurse gave conflicting advice to the Doctor which nearly ended up with me in hospital. It was not until my wife had a particularly frank and quite heated discussion with the manager that he stopped referring to the tests and extra water was provided to help prevent me from becoming dehydrated and plain food was offered.

As other reviewers have stated, local birds - while pretty - do climb all over the tables and leave droppings. My wife leant back in her seat one day and found it on her shirt when we returned to our room. They also reach the breakfast buffet and I regularly saw birds eating the cereals which were still left out for guests, the nets providing little protection.

There were also incidents where the water from the sinks/bath came through brown, albeit that eventually cleared if you ran the taps long enough. Of course we never drank the tap water, but still this is not very nice. One other thing I could never understand was that still water by the bottle was free at breakfast and mostly during the day from the bar - but is chargeable at night - with the same bottle varying from 120Rs to 240Rs on random nights. Wine is, as noted by other guests, also over priced with no reason for this other than "all the other resorts charge this much". The local Spar will sell the same bottle for a fraction of the price and apparently the hotel are OK with you keeping your own alcohol in the minibar?

In summary, the rooms are nice but having spent the remainder of our honeymoon at the Four Seasons on the other side of the island (which we have also reviewed) - there is a HUGE contrast in what actually is 5* and what is trying but failing miserably to be 5*. I would advise against honeymooners booking this hotel, or anyone who values their health, as it is overpriced and below par.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Boston_Gall
Kamal N, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, comments relating to our guests stay is extremely important to me as to identifying areas where we may need to focus and fine tune.

I am most surprised and disappointed to read some of your comments as we pride ourselves on the way we are committed to taking care of our guests especially when guests fall ill from time to time, in your case we spent a lot of time with making sure you were well looked after and informed! We will keep details of the medical proceedings and outcome by relevant bodies, private and confidential as it should be. It is a shame you felt we did not take care of you as expected. I do hope you are feeling much better now and you are back to 100% once again.

When visiting a tropical Island you need to expect elements of local wildlife, be it Mauritius, Maldives, Caribbean etc. This is all part of the experience and charm of these regions, certain aspects of this such as birds flying close to guests during breakfast is unavoidable (same in any of the mentioned regions), we do our utmost to minimize any inconvenience to our guests and protect our food accordingly, most of our guests enjoy this part of the day and actually encourage the birds to join them on their tables by feeding them.

Regarding the cost of water there is only one price in our system to charge and unsure why there would be any conflicting charges, I will monitor this as to ensure there is consistency. The wines at the resort do have a higher charge compared to what you can buy at a local supermarket as is same at every resort worldwide. The wines in Mauritius start off at a high price due to freight and duties when entering Mauritius.

I am pleased to read you recognised some of our team members for which I will be sure to relay to them, however sincerely saddened your expectations were not met especially during your honeymoon and apologise for any misunderstandings or inconvenience. Please find my email address: k.nundloll@maradiva.com I would be delighted to hear from you and discuss any of your concerns together.

Kind Regards.
Kamal

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at Maradiva in October 2013 for four nights at the end of our honeymoon. We echo some of the other poor / average reviews of this hotel. The hotel just does not compare with other hotels of this class / price point.

Pros: Mauritius is beautiful. There is plenty of space on Maradiva's beach - and you can always find an empty chair. We walked passed some of the nearby hotels and the beaches were crowded. We also liked the detached villas. The bartenders at the bar (next to Coast to Coast) were great and very friendly.

Cons:
Villas felt dated. The water pressure in the shower was unacceptable (for a hotel of this price). Moreover, it would take up to five minutes of running the water for the hot water to come on. We actually called the front desk to have someone look into the hot water - thinking it was broken (no, it just takes a long time). Also, the wifi / internet did not work in our villa. We called the front desk and they said that the "service was down" and they were waiting for the telephone company to come fix it (it was down for our entire stay). Also, we felt there were too many "rules" or items you are charged for (for a hotel of this price / star rating. For example, you can have six cups of coffee per day in your villa but you are charged for the seventh (?). Huh? It just set the wrong tone on the first night. Or there are charges for the laundry - each item has a separate price - the form was so detailed we didn't even bother with laundry. Everywhere else we stayed on this two week holiday didn't go into all this detail.

Food: the restaurants are just ok. The wait staff at Cilantro (one of three dinner options) was at times arrogant or just plain rude. There are a number of premium items on the menus which are not included in the half board price. Alcohol is also very expensive. And the wine was undrinkable. Several times we ordered wine and it was spoiled (or maybe just bad?). By the end we stopped ordering wine. Breakfast was also just not good and the service was terrible. Each morning we would watch people get up from there table, only to watch dozens of birds quickly perch on the table and eat the bread basket. The wait staff would walk by watching 20+ birds eating the bread basket at the table next to us and do nothing about it for 15+ minutes (?). Or our first night - we went to have dinner at Coast to Coast - and despite the dining room being mostly empty, there were barely any clean tables to sit at. The table we finally sat at had bird dropping on it (this was the best option).

Service: The service is just slow and at times we felt the wait staff to be rude. Again, this doesn't compare to other hotels of this price / star rating.

Activities: Our first morning we were greeted by a White Sands representative (tour guide for the island - not the hotel). She told us about various different tour options on the island. We booked the swim with the dolphins. Later that day, we realized the hotel had a Boat House with lots of different activity options - including the same swim with the dolphins (same exact location) for significantly cheaper! We felt completely ripped off. Why didn't the hotel tell us about the Boat House the night we checked in? I'm not sure if this is totally the hotels fault

Conclusion: We really liked the low density of the property - as it did not feel crowded despite being fairly full. That said, we would not stay at this property again if we return to Mauritius. Too many issues for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank newyorker10006
Kamal N, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to advise on your recent stay at Maradiva. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our esteemed guests.

It is with much regret to read of your experience during your stay with us. Whilst an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, I do extend it with all sincerity. I certainly emphasize regarding the points you mention in your review and have already communicated to all our heads of department to action seriously.

I would really hope to welcome you back to Maradiva leaving the onus on us to ensure that your previous stay was an exception.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

You should definitely visit this amazing place. You will feel yourself cherished, relaxed, and disconnected from entire universe. You will be surrounded by beautiful flowers, nice and warm breeze, magnificent ocean and ….birds' songs:) The hotel is relatively small and consists of about 60 villas, very private guest villas which are well isolated from each other (each villa has s pretty little terrace, a little private pool and it is surrounded by lots of greens and flowers …). There is a pretty long distance between the villas, and you are never being disturbed by music, neigboours or any other external noise. At the same time you feel safe as there are security staff patrolling the hotel's territory.
We went there in september 2013 for 1 week . The arrival and reception was very personalized, and in general, the attitude to all guests in this hotel is very individual (they greet you by your name, they know the number of your villa, your preferences etc). You are introduced to all Managers and key service people, and they are always ready to address all your needs…All 24 hours. The service in excellent.
Villas are elegantly decorated in oriental and creole style, and very spacious. There is a Nespresso machine and good selection of tea and coffee in the villa.

The selection of food for breakfast (main restaurant - Coast2Coast is excellent, and You can always order your breakfast to be served in the villa at no additional price. The dinner also can be ordered in the villa, and you pay only 15% for the service (we liked the food in the Coast restaurant, and had dinner always there).
The hotel has a library, you can borrow books (there are lots in different languages) and DVDs.
The beech is very beautiful, clean and it looks wild and native… A superb view at sunset.
AS for leisures, it is possible to practice kayaking, pedal, and water skying. The hotel staff is trained to assist and coach you doing all these (no additional pay).
There is gym, and a tennis court at the hotel premises.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kamal N, Resident Manager at Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on our resort. We are happy to see that you enjoyed all the facilities and services that were available.

I will share your feedback with all the team; they will be delighted to know how much of a positive impression they made upon your stay.

We look forward to another opportunity to host you at the Maradiva,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Flic En Flac
Sands Suites Resort & Spa
#1 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Sofitel Mauritius L'Imperial Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita

Been to Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!