Visited in December 2013.
This was our honeymoon and we were on Half Board for 9 nights.
Much nicer hotel compared to the other ones in the area. It’s much quieter and hidden from view from the road, there are security gates on the entrance.
We were given an early check in and were very happy with our villa, its rustic feeling yet modern with lots of wood furnishings and beige tiled bathroom areas. It was very clean inside and around the plunge pool and seating area. We stayed in Villa 102 which had the main pool to one side (but no disturbances) and the beach was only one villa in front. The bar and Coast to Coast restaurant was right next to the pool also where they serve breakfast.
Everything worked in the room, Lights, plugs, TV, Mini bar, showers, toilet etc etc.
We have travelled to many places and found the standard of the food at the Maradiva excellent. There are 2 restaurants but one is split into an Indian and Japanese. The Indian was excellent, we didn’t try the Japanese but the Coast to Coast main restaurant was excellent with a range of very tasty and interesting international and Mauritian dishes. We didn’t have a single disappointing dish.
SPECIAL DIET REQUIREMEMNTS:
One major point to mention is I have Coeliac Disease and have to follow a strict Gluten free diet. We notified the hotel of this via email before we arrived and the hotel Service manager replied to discuss this with us. When we arrived at the hotel the Service Manager Swaraj came to greet us and brought over the Head Chef Ravi to discuss my requirements. They had clearly dealt with this diet before. They were extremely helpful throughout our stay and the chefs all knew my predicament as soon as we gave our villa number. They made me special Gluten free pancakes for breakfast and made me fresh bread; they also altered ingredients on the evening menu to suit my needs rather that just say I can’t have the dish. They made Gluten free Pizza for lunch. The light lunch menu is rather restricted for people with Coeliac Disease as it’s a choice of Pizza, Pasta (I think if you took your own Gluten free pasta they would be delighted to make it for you), sandwiches, Toasted sandwiches etc, but the breakfast and evening is fine. You can eat in the Coast to Coast restaurant for lunch but we didn’t want a large meal at lunch time. We were delighted at how attentive the chefs and staff were at meal times.
There was recently mention on here of birds getting on to the breakfast area. There are lots of birds flying about as some of the areas where you can sit have open sided rooms. The only day we had a problem was when we were sat right at the edge of the breakfast room and another couple were feeding the birds on their table to enable them to capture pictures of them with their camera, they didn’t seem to bother that it was affecting the other people in the area as all the birds flocked around them. I have no issue with birds but when you’re eating id rather other guests not attract them to our table. There were no birds near the food, this was at the other end of the room and was attended by staff and cereals were covered. The hotel also has a large bird table set to the side of the restaurant and they put bread on there to encourage the birds to stay away from the guests, but birds will be birds. They didn’t bother us and my husband isn’t a fan of birds getting close.
The swimming pool was lovely and had a direct, clear view of the ocean, there was very comfortable sun loungers and beds around the pool and on the beach. There were just enough loungers to accommodate guests but not spoil the view.
The Spa was lovely, we had a honeymoon massage and then went back for an Indian head Massage, the staff again, were lovely and the whole atmosphere was very professional and relaxing.
The beach was nice, the weather brought in some seaweed on a few days which drifted in the water so we chose the pool on those days but then cleared up again and was very clear and warm. There are some roped off areas to walk in the water but a warning to people that there are a lot of rocks and coral so you cannot walk out very far. The beach was nice and quiet, we walked down the shore and came upon the Hilton and Sofitel which were so busy and there were many people on the beach lined up. We were glad to walk back to our quiet hotel.
There was also free water sports at the beach and nice staff to help assist you. There is a small glass bottom boat to go out and see the coral and fish, kayaks, windsurfing and peddle boats. You can pay more for trips to swim with the dolphins etc.
Our only disappointment was on our last 3 days when the hotel became very busy. It seemed lots of families had arrived for Christmas and there was screaming children running all around the breakfast area and restaurant and splashing us when leaping in the pool. We were also sat in the Breakers bar having lunch where the hotel has a Grand Piano for an evening singer that performs. Families were allowing their children to go and attack the piano for long lengths of time which was horrible (everyone knows how awful a piano sounds if you cant play it), we did tell the staff and make it clear that we felt it was inappropriate and a disturbance but although the staff seemed to realise that the children shouldn’t be on the piano none of them addressed the problem and asked the children or their mother if they could kindly not play on the piano. Our holiday went from being very relaxed and quiet to feeling like we were in a family orientated hotel where anything goes. This was a shame as it was so peaceful beforehand. We have no problem with children but as this was advertised as a honeymoon hotel our last couple of days were slightly disappointing and my husband was glad we were moving on to Dubai for our second leg. I would suggest going when children are in school.
Overall I was really pleased with the Maradiva, the Villa, staff, food, surroundings and would definitely visit again.
I would like to say a personal thanks to Head Chef ‘Ravi’ and Food and Beverage Manager ‘Swaraj’ who made our stay very comfortable and really looked after us. There were so many staff who also made an impression on us, the head waiters in the restaurants and the other chefs but m afraid we cannot remember everyone’s names.
A lovely holiday and honeymoon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Uniquely on the island, our luxury five-star resort features the discreet opulence of private villas for all our guests. Inspired by its Indian heritage, the Maradiva experience which includes an award winning Holistic spa, haute cuisine, and a private pool in the grounds of every villa, is defined by understated elegance and impeccable service. In a lush 27-acre setting with the turquoise waters of Tamarin Bay lapping our white sandy beach, the 65 villas at Maradiva are at the heart of a vibrant paradise, ideally situated for world-class golf, coral diving, big game fishing, and the island's beautiful national parks. At Maradiva, all our guests stay in the intimate harmony of their own private air- conditioned villas, with a butler available 24 hours a day. Our 49 luxury villas, 8 beach front villas, 6 exclusive villas and 2 Presidential villas each have their own private terrace, garden and infinity-edge pool, with the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean right on the doorstep. For families or small groups, we also offer interconnecting villas. Guests looking for the ultimate peaceful hideaway can enjoy fine dining and many spa services in the privacy of their own villa. You can come to us, or we'll come to you. You choose. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Agoda, Expedia, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maradiva Villas Hotel Flic En Flac
- Maradiva Hotel Flic En Flac
- Taj Exotica Mauritius
- Maradiva Villas Resort And Spa Mauritius/Flic En Flac