“The Beautiful Island of Mauritius”

Easy Dive Mauritius
L'Agulhas, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Beautiful Island of Mauritius”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

To the north of Port Louis you will find my favourite place on the island, the Royal Botanical Gardens, Pampelmousses, an absolute haven of peace and tranquillity. Founded in 1770 as a nursery for tropical crops, it was from here that cloves were first introduced to Zanzibar. Famous for its pond where you will see the huge floating Victoria Regia lily-pads that look like large round trays proudly displaying their exquisite purple flowers that reflect into the pond’s liquid surface.
The tear-jerking French classic, “Paul et Virginie” the novel by author Bernardin de St. Pierre was written by him after his stay on the island of Mauritius and the Pampelmousses are wrapped into the saga. This is a must-read book to pack in your travel bag when you plan to visit this tropical paradise.
©Susan Cook-Jahme, Freelance Writer

Visited June 2012

United Kingdom
1,132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,105 helpful votes
“Fantastic view underwater”
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I wanted to dive in Sharm el Sheikh a couple of years ago but got the tummy troubles and did not recover in time to do a dive.

So when I went to Mauritius I was determined to have a session even though I am a complete novice. Easy Dive are based at Le Meridian but they are nothing to do with the hotel and I believe that they have bases elsewhere in the island.

Again I was nearly struck down by bad luck as during the morning of the dive they had boat trouble but they managed to sort the problem out in time.

There was a group of 3 when I did the dive. We had an introductory session at the pool where we learned the basics and then went out to the sea. Wow the vision whilst we were diving was fantastic. The view was simply breathtaking. I have done some snorkelling in Mauritius but this was something else. You do not get water vision like that in the UK.

I enjoyed the dive experience although I was nervous the whole way through. I did find it difficult to take in the instructions. Maybe because I am a slow learner when it comes to any type of water based activities and also because it was a struggle at times to understand the instructor as he had a strong accent and he had to explain everything to me in English and to the other two pupils in French.

Still the instructor was helpful and friendly and guided me through it step by step and he sensed I was rather nervous. I finally managed to experience a dive which was great.

4 Thank PrestonGuild
Tilburg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Super hotel & Dive school”
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We got married and had our honeymoon in the le Meridien Hotel on Mauritius. The hotel was absolutely fantastic, and the personnel were outstanding across all service levels. We chose not to use the All inclusive formula and instead decided to go out for dinner to experience the local kitchens of Mauritius. As Grand Baye was close to the Hotel 20 min by car it was our choice of dinner destinations. The restaurants are good and there is a choice for all budgets. Good resaurants are "Don Camillo" (Italian), "Happy Rajah" (indian), "Le Capitain" (local & fish).

Before leaving to Mauritius I contacted the owner of Easy Divers in front of the Meridien Hotel. He informed me that diving in Mauritius was not like diving in the red sea. He was right! Nevertheless the guys at Easy divers were superb. On my last day of diving we went to a wreck about 10 minutes away from the hotel, what an incredibable dive awsome. The dive was so nice that I asked the guys to go out again the same afternoon. They were happy to oblige. In particular Jonathan (one of the instructors and a super guy) whom I dove with on the second dive. Thanks you Guys!!!

6 Thank internationalDutchie
Den Haag
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Diving in Mauritius”
Reviewed 5 April 2008

Easy Dive is the dive centre adjacent to the Meridien Ile Maurice resort which, incidentally, is a great place to stay.

I'd previously dived in Cuba and, although I thoroughly enjoyed it, when I told friends back home who were experienced divers they were horrified at the lax Cuban standards. I therefore decided to to start from scratch and do the PADI Open Water Diver Course when I was on holiday in Mauritius. I chose Easy Dive as it was conveniently located in the hotel complex.

I found all of the guys there extremely friendly and knowledgeable with an obvious safety ethic. Several of the other holidaying divers were very experienced and commented favorably. My instructor Gilbert was very patient and empathetic and built my confidence both in the pool and in the sea. My instruction varied from one-on-one to a maximum of one-on-four. The result was that I had a great (and safe) time, came away with the PADI qualification and developed an enthusiasm to continue diving and furthering my skills when I got home.

The water around this location was pretty clear, even after their worst rain for 30 years (lot of material coming down the rivers). I dived on sites (coral reefs with great fish) between 10m and 18m deep and the more experienced divers dived, I think, to around 26m on the reefs and a couple of wrecks.

I cannot comment how the sites used by Easy Dive would be rated by experienced divers but from my own viewpoint, that of a beginner, I would not hesitate to recommend the location and Easy Dive to anyone.

10 Thank Hallsworth