“A great hotel, but could do with some improvements”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Recif Attitude

Recif Attitude
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A great hotel, but could do with some improvements”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

I booked a 10 day stay at the Recif Attitude Hotel from the 16th to the 15th of December. I had high expectations for my stay after reading rave reviews on Trip Advisor and having the hotel recommended to me by my travel agent. While there is no doubt that the Recif Attitude is a value for money proposition, I believe a few simple changes could significantly improve the service and quality of guest experience.

Before getting going I'll disclose that I worked for cruise lines and 5 star hotels for several years in the service department. I often rolled my eyes at the type of report I am about to write, but my experience of working in the industry did highlight some serious problems with the service and quality on offer at the Recif and I'd like to share this with the hotel and potential guests.

First the positives:
The hotel itself is lovely - its whitewashed buildings sprawl over the beachfront on a quiet corner of Pointe Aux Piments. The grounds are immaculately maintained, and there are a wonderful variety of blossoming trees on the grounds that perfume the air and are home to a variety of colourful birds. At night the hotel looks particularly beautiful, as the night lighting has been tastefully and thoughtfully done. All in all it creates an extremely beautiful, mellow and romantic setting.

The common areas are tastefully decorated, and the restaurant is positioned on a terrace with panoramic views of the beach and ocean. In the evenings a local band plays soothing tunes, and there's a free Sega show on Saturdays, which was a huge amount of fun.

The hotel beach is perfectly servicable, and although public is very quiet - if anything the local Mauritian children who venture onto it to play on the pier or swim ground the hotel and prevent you from feeling like you're on a 5 star island cut off from the reality of island life. The sand on the beach is covered in shells and coral pieces at the tideline, but is otherwise a beautiful deep gold and softest close to the water.

The hotel beach lies in front of a coral reef, with a small sheltered bay right in front of the hotel. This is perfectly adequate for swimming, and we never had need of beach shoes. The reef is also a wonderful place to snorkel, with snorkel gear available free at the boathouse.

The enclosed bay is home to thousands of fish, and if you swim out the bay and explore the living coral on the reef you'll find a breathtaking variety of tropical fish - which means you have really top quality snorkelling right on your doorstep. In addition pedalo boats and kayaks are available for free athe boathouse.

Unlike the hotels on the lagoons, the shores at the base of the Recif are washed by the waves of the Indian ocean, and the sound of waves breaking on the shore provided a really soothing backdrop to our holiday. If you're a surfer and can handle a reef, bring your longboard as a servicable 1-2ft wave breaks down the reef at virtually all hours and you'll have it all to yourself.

The rooms are nothing special, but perfectly adequate. The beds are comfortable, the spaces are clean, and you have everything you need for a comfortable stay - and you won't need to spend much time in your room anyway. If anything, I'd suggest forgoing the expense of a beachfront room, as we ended up spending hardly any time sitting on our balcony. The only real minus here was having the toilet located off the main room in a shuttered alcove - not the height of privacy, and it can be awkward if you travel with company.

The quality of the hotel food is good overall. At breakfast you can have eggs prepared any way you like, and can eat your eggs with cakes, toast, excellent fresh croissants, yoghurt and fresh fruit. Unfortunately bacon is not available every day, and is substituted with cheap and fairly awful sliced Mauritian chicken viennas (which appeared to make it on to the dinner buffet salad selection the same night on more than one occasion) every second day. The juices served with breakfast appeared to be freshly squeezed and are delicious.

The lunch menu is set, and we found it the best and most consistent menu on offer. You can order suprisingly decent pizzas, toasted sandwiches and other treats and we enjoyed everything we tried off the menu. On one afternoon the hotel served a buffet of local Mauritian street food that was out of this world.

Dinners alternate between buffet and set menu. The buffets are a hit and miss affair, but you'll generally be able to find something tasty on offer, and there's plenty of variety available. The set menus were decent, and some of the dishes we were served (such as the local fish curry) were nothing short of exceptional.

One thing that lost the hotel points was the coffee. I absolutely fail to understand how a hotel frequented primarily by European clientele gets away with serving the tasteless brown dishwater in silver canisters that were dished up every morning. It was without a doubt the worst coffee we have ever had. Not only was it made from instant coffee added to water, but it was extremely weak and thin, and often undrinkable.

If you're used to drinking quality coffee this can be quite unpleasant, and to make matters worse the hotel has a proper coffee machine, but charges a fortune for a cappucino from the bar (even if you're on all-inlcusive, in which case you can only get decent coffee after 11am).

The terrible quality of the coffee just made the hotel come across as cheap. The cheese served at the breakfast buffet was right up there with the coffee, as you'd have a single cheese option - wedges of American-style processed cheddar that tasted awful. Once again, unneccesarily cheap, and doesn't make sense given the European clientele.

Then we come to the service..

A lot of reviews go on about the service. We found the service average at best, with a couple of excellent and attentive waiters at the restaurant saving the day. The groundsmen, boathouse staff and cleaning staff were all wonderful and polite and also did a good job.

However, the bar staff left a lot to be desired. On two occassions when we held out for a cappucino we were served cappucinos prepared with two heaped tablespoons of cocoa dropped into each cup for no apparent reason.

One day when I was drinking vodka lime and sodas the bartender arbitrarily decided to replace my lime cordial with pure lemon juice, and the 'soda' in the drinks was generally flat sparkling water that totally ruined the drink's flavour. I eventually took to ordering the spirit and a bottle of mineral water separately to ensure my drinks weren't served with flat, room temperature sparkling water.

Despite the hot climate the bar staff don't chill their beer glasses, and if you order a beer it is served to you in a tall glass rather than a beer glass (and your wine will be served to you in a cocktail glass). Half the cocktails were served without any garnishes, and the bartenders have not been taught how to free pour or even use a shot glass for measuring, which means drinks with mixers can be incredibly strong.

Because the hotel runs its restaurant service bar out of the main bar (a fatal mistake in a hotel setup) the bartenders are almost always more focused on serving waiters than on serving bar patrons, and as a result you end up being treated like an irritation when you order a drink. I was at the hotel for 9 days, sat at the bar every day at least two or three times and only one of the apprentice bartenders took the trouble to figure out what my drink was (beer in the bottle) and offer it to me when I came to the bar.

I knew the bartenders by name from their name tags, but none ever bothered to ask me mine, introduce themselves to me or even chat to me. This may sound trivial, but a simple way to significantly enhance a guest's experience at a hotel is to get staff to interact with guests, learn their names and interact with them - which is what you'll find at quality service establishments. The service at the Recif bar was frequently nothing short of rude, and some of the wait staff were hardly better.

The hotel director never formally introduced himself to us, and despite being assured of a mid-stay check-in by our MyTime program, no such thing happened, and we were never asked about the quality of our stay or experience of the hotel service and facilities. As I mentioned earlier, some of the wait staff were really excellent and saved the day, but apart from a handful of waiters, the service in the restaurant and bar was definitely the worst I have experienced at a hotel, and amongst the worst I have experienced at any hotel or catering establishment.

The last thing I'd want to share with potential guests relates to the tours offered at the boat house. While the boat house staff were all very pleasant and helpful, we took one of the tours on offer and decided not to go back for seconds. We went on the trip to Ile du Cerfs and experienced it as being treated as so much human cargo, with the boat staff using the expedition as an attempt to sell us parasailing and a lobster lunch. Once again they were pretty rude, and the service was atrocious. We booked our second excursion through Solis, taking Adrien's Dream to swim with dolphins and visit the Western lagoon, and it was really superb, with outsanding food and friendly service.

And that concludes this rambling review. Focusing on the problematic elements of our stay makes it sound like our experience of the Recif was negative, and that's unfortunate. The hotel has a lot going for it in terms of location and facilities, and it's silly to let cheap breakfasts and poorly trained service staff prevent this establishment from being outstanding rather than simply good.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Globeroamer77
Attitude_Mauritius, Raymond Duvergé at Recif Attitude, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Sir ,

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to put your review on Trip Advisor.

Most of your comment is very positive and all your suggestions have been well noted. I will make mention of one of your sentence which resume your comment and make sure that we are working on it to make the Recif an even better value for money proposition.

“While there is no doubt that the Recif Attitude is a value for money proposition, I believe a few simple changes could significantly improve the service and quality of guest experience.”

No doubt that your 5* experience will be most valuable to us as you’ve mention a real situation at the bar area and kindly note that we are bringing some corrective actions and more will come this year ( structure wise).

I apologize to the fact that I ‘ve not personally stop to you again during your stay . I remember greeting you at reception and welcoming your friend who came a day later !

Thank you again for your review and may I take this opportunity to wish you an excellent year 2013 and look forward to welcome again at Recif Attitude !

Kind Regards

Raymond Duvergé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

How can I begin, you are welcomed on arrival by a delicious fruit cocktail, just what you need after a long flight, and some of the warmest smiles i have ever seen thenthey walk you around the hotel showing you everything including the breathtaking sunset, the rooms are spotlessly clean and spacious, the food is some of the best buffet food I have ever had, the chefs are on hand to offer advice about the ingredients tastes, and the service, O.M.G. I have eaten in over 30 Michelin starred restaurants and the do not even come close to the attentiveness that I have received here from everyone, the cleaning staff, the security, the waiters, the bar staff and the management. Simply outstanding. 3 star price 5 STAR SERVICE!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mike M
Attitude_Mauritius, Raymond Duvergé at Recif Attitude, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Dear Mike,

On behalf of all the ‘Family Members’ of Récif Attitude, I would like to thank you for your warm appreciations of our Hotel and personnel and your recommendation to other travelers.

It has been a real pleasure to share some ideas with you and thank you for choosing Recif Attitude to celebrate your both birthdays !!!

We would be pleased to welcome you again at Récif Attitude,

Kind regards,

Brno, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

A great 3-starr hotel to stay at. The place has a charm. I enjoyed the calmness and the romantic athmosphere. You MUST have a dinner on the beach.
The swimming conditions are not the best because the coral reef is very close to the beach. You can find some sharp corals in the sand and you cannot swim too far. But it is definitely good for those who love snorcheling!

I really like this hotel. When I saw a silver full moon above the sea from my terrace, I fell in love with the place.

Also the staff is very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: You MUST have a beachfront room. The view of the sea is amazing there.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank iveta_mlejn
Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Returned from Recif at the end of October after enjoying hols without any negatives whatsoever. My wife fancied this place as part of her 50 birthday bash and she got it spot-on!
Wonderful setting generally with a room by the infinity pool looking out over the beach was marvelous. All the staff were very friendly and always helpful and I have never been addressed by a hotel Manager by name, Raymond typifies what Recif is all about. Quick mention about Nicha, one of the Connexions reps, another wonderful person who made the holiday that wee bit more special.

Room Tip: Any room behind the infinity pool will give an excellent view of the beach and sunset
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank William M
Attitude_Mauritius, Raymond Duvergé at Recif Attitude, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear Mr. and Mrs. McEwans,

We would like to thank you once again for choosing Récif Attitude to celebrate your birthday in Mauritius. Your warm appreciations have been passed on to all the ‘Family Members’.

It was a pleasure to welcome you in our ‘home’,

Bath, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Cutting to the chase, Le Recif Attitude is a great hotel - friendly staff, excellent beach front location, decent accomodation wonderful views and tasty/plentiful food... It also has free wifi in the bar, which just so happens to be the place I am writing this review from, whilst enjoying the view! We have stayed here for one week, its our first beach holiday together after more recently doing activity breaks or city trips and it has certainly refreshed my appetite for lounging around, swimming, eating, drinking and enjoying the sun; even managed to get a bit of activity thrown into the mix by getting out on the SeaKayaks which are available to guests (along with snorkels and peddle boats). So onto the good: Room: decent sized, looking out over the pool and onto the sea, good facilities (free safe, TV, air con, coffee/tea making facilities, mini bar, outdoor area) - very clean. Pool: small but perfectly formed, infinity-like with views over the sea). Location: off a main road but you wouldnt realise it once you are on the premises, it backs out onto the sea.. Which was literally 25metres from our room... With a great beach!! Property: nice simple design to the building, great layout centred around a bar with plenty of seating, clean and tidy everywhere with a really nice atmosphere. Restaurant: great views, varied and tasty food, same nice vibe. Staff: friendly and discreet, as plenty have said before me... The manager and his deputy are very personable and run a tight ship. All in alla great place to stay. Some small negatives: our room showed some signs of wear and tear - scuffed paint/stained surfaces... Trivial thing really as it was clean, but detracted ever so slightly. The bar can get busy and service at the bar can slow down... Especially when the orders from the restauraunt fly in, a lot of time we were waiting for a while (although no more than 10 mins). Final trivial point is that the staff seem more comfortable speaking with the numerous french guests, as brits (well, the other half is norwegian) we didnt quite get the same conversation from them on the whole. Anyway, thanks to all at the hotel, we enjoyed the stay

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GaryAr
hotels_attitude, Raymond Duvergé at Recif Attitude, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Gary,

We thank you for your warm appreciations on your recent stay at Récif Attitude and are pleased you enjoyed your stay in Mauritius while staying with us.

Your kind words have been shared with all the ‘Family Members’. A particular attention will be given to your “small” negatives.

It would be our pleasure to seeing you again at Récif Attitude,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Recif Attitude for six days while en route to UK. from Australia. What a fabulous place it is. We had an ocean view from our balcony overlooking the pool and beach. All staff were friendly and engaging and always willing to assist. Food was varied and of good quality. The restaurant is airy and well laid out and so close to the water you could almost touch it. What a pleasure it was to have breakfast on beautiful Mauritian mornings in the open restaurant with a gentle breeze coming off the Indian ocean.
The manager Raymond and his assistant certainly know how to make guests feel welcome, we were treated as if we were the only guest in the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is exceptional.

Ray and Barbara Watts

Room Tip: Have a room on the first floor with ocean views and balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lockscross
hotels_attitude, Raymond Duvergé at Recif Attitude, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Watts,

I would like to thank you for your kind words on your recent stay at Récif Attitude, which have been shared with all the ‘Family Members’.

We are truly grateful for your warm recommendation and compliments on our hospitality.

We would be delighted to seeing you again at Récif Attitude,

madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We spent our honeymoon here last month and were impressed by every aspect of the hotel. The manager - Raymond Duvergé - is a consummate host, keen to welcome all guests personally. The room was lovely and airy, just metres from the Indian Ocean. The beach here is rather rocky is parts and sometimes the current is strong. We were still in the sea most days and as we liked to get out and about and explore the island, this was not a problem. The food was varied and tasty - we were on the all-inclusive option which was excellent value. All the staff were polite and professional, from groundsmen, cleaners, to cooks. We'd like to mention three of the bar and restaurant staff in particular - Dany, Bhujur and Dave - who showed a friendly and caring attitude at all times (and made excellent rum and cokes!) Overall, it was a wonderful choice for our honeymoon!

Room Tip: We asked for a sea-facing balcony which was lovely and private.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SaritaTravels
hotels_attitude, Raymond Duvergé at Recif Attitude, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you once again for choosing Récif Attitude for your Honeymoon in Mauritius. It’s’ always a pleasure to read that the attentive and discreet service of our ‘Family Members’ helped make this special moment more enjoyable.

We would be happy to welcome you once again next time you visit our Island,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe Aux Piments
Coin de Mire Attitude
Coin de Mire Attitude
#1 of 2 in Bain Boeuf
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,341 reviews

Been to Recif Attitude? Share your experiences!