“Just Beautiful”

The Oberoi, Mauritius
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Read all the reviews, consider all the options, look at the other hotels, think about it , then think again, and then finally when you have looked at all other options, if you want a quiet lovely totally superior hotel to all the others, book the Oberoi.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Snowcat66
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Reviewers,
Dear Guests,

It has been a while since I have responded to your wonderful reviews.

The team and I receive so much encouragement from reading your feedback. Thank you.

I wish to develop on one topic, and must thank the reviewers of June 20th, dutchguy2 Dubai and of June 8th, Ugenmtg Moscow for raising the matter.

You have both mentioned that at times you felt a bit awkward due to the excessive greetings you received in the resort. This is a very valid point raised, and before I elaborate on this comment I wish to apologize for having made you feel uncomfortable during your stay. We conduct a lot of team sessions on the topics of “over-service” and “over-greetings”. It appears though that some of our young team members still get over enthusiastic at times.

At The Oberoi, Mauritius, and in all of our hotels for that matter, we greet each other and greet our guests with a Namaste. It is primarily an Asian sign of respect shown between one person and another. The Namaste consists of pressing palms together and fingers pointed upwards. By doing this, we recognize our guests with a smile, yet it avoids staff having to question how guests are doing throughout the day.

I frequently get asked by guests, “may we respond with a greeting when greeted by staff, or would that be seen as disrespectful”. The answer is clear. You may indeed return a Namaste greeting if you wish, and staff would be extremely touched if you were to do this. On the other hand, offense is not taken either if a response is not given.

I will close this tripadvisor-log by also thanking steven g for his short but to the point review. It is very nicely written. If I may just add something...”if you are still not certain after having looked at all the options, you may always contact us by e-mail if you have any further questions. Hopefully we will be able to convince you”

Yours Truly,

Marc Denton

There are newer reviews for The Oberoi, Mauritius

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Blend all the previous reviews together and you have the right answer. Mr Oberoi should be so proud of a set up that bears his name. The resort, the staff, the setting and the food...wow the food! This place knows how to operate and the staff buy in to the whole customer service principle. I said in the guest review that as an employer I know how staff make or break a business' reputation and from the gardeners, the Heads of Dining and the Concierge everyone makes this the place it is.
I am no foody but the taste experiences were awesome in a fantastic setting and presented by such willing staff......magnificent!
Read all the reviews to reassure yourselves if you are thinking of staying here,but you will not be disappointed. Just go!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dougleach
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The level of service in the Oberoi Mauritius is one of the best I have ever experienced. All staff were helpful, very welcoming (even knowing my name before having seen me) and extremely polite, maybe even too polite (the constant greeting whereby the palms are pressed together at chest level gets a bit much after a while).

Food & Beverage
The food was nice and the staff at the restaurants were very helpful, even opening a little early so that we could have a quick dinner before our flight. The bar was nice and the drinks well made (it is not often that a Martini is that well made).

Pools were good (if a little cold) and the beach was nice (if a little small). The boutique was well stocked. Did not make use of the spa, but I'm sure it would have been great.

Room
Very nice.

Location
Although being near Port Louis and Grand Baie is good if you take excursions or eat out (we did both), it does mean that you have a nice view of the cargo ships waiting to dock at Port Louis. Detracts a little from the desert island feel...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Well well well.. i do not know where to start.

Me and my wife spent five splendid days here at the Oberoi Mauritius for our second marriage anniversary in April. We went there expecting good service that the Oberoi is known for but returned with love and service level that is beyond the reach of many hotel brands. Right from arriving at the hotel till the check out everything was at ease and the "can do attitude certainly does wonders".

After arrival we were given Virgin Mohitos and whisked away to our private villa with pool for check in in the room. Everything was properly explained. The five days was absolute bliss that we spent in Oberoi Mauritius.

Breakfast is amazing and all fresh made and delivered right to your room. Everything at breakfast was super fresh and yummy! For lunch we tried the bar snacks and it was wonderful. Dinner options although a bit limited is very delicious. The desserts especially are to die for!

All in all The oberoi made my anniversary very memorable indeed and me and wife will definitely be back sometime in the near future.

Room Tip: Just book the rooms with private swimming pool, you won't regret a single bit, and if privacy is...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aih0043
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Best hospitality,flawless service.just back from my holiday in mauritius.We stayed in the luxury pavilion it had a good view of the garden and ocean.even though the hotel was well occupied we could not expect more privacy. Check in was in the room,complementary Wifi,beautiful sunsets,very well maintained gardens,everything was perfect.But the best part is the hospitality and service. Oberoi mauritius truly deserves an extra star on this account.Even though it is in line with other oberoi hotels I have stayed at like rajvilas and vanyavilas,this one truly raises the bar.My thanks to all the staff at oberoi mauritius esp sohanee at kids club for making our stay a memorable one.I will definitely love to come back.

Room Tip: luxury Pavallion with sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I can only reiterate what the previous review has said. I compliment the management and staff of The Oberoi for creating a uniquely relaxing and tranquil haven where nothing is too much bother and each and every person working there gives the impression of enjoying their work which is reflected in the outstanding personalised service each guest receives. There are no pretences to this place- just the opportunity to indulge in the quality and luxury of your surroundings. With our busy lives, my husband and were totally able to unwind and enjoy the beauty of the location, enjoy the peace of our room and garden and look forward to creative and tasty food in the evening. Thanks very much for some wonderful memories!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

From the moment we arrived in these beautiful surroundings to the moment we left we were in Heaven! I knew as soon as we were greeted by the wonderful smiling serene staff, given the welcome drink overlooking the lake then taken to our room where the luggage had already been delivered and sorted our check in in the room, that this was going to be special. However it just got more special each day! The grounds are just beautiful, everything is so relaxed, the service is amazing, every single employee is so friendly and it is the staff that really make this place. The majority have worked then since it opened 11 years ago and you truly feel they love their work, they just can't do enough for you and make you feel so special. All staff deserve a mention but Prakash and Anesh truly exceeded our every whim and felt like true friends after just 6 days. Chef Singh went out of his way to organise a special cooking lesson as we couldn't make the organised one -we learnt so much from him. Karan took time out to share knowledge of his home country India and many of the waiters were just immensely freindly but efficient with it. Reception staff were great and the rooms were extremely clean.There were a few tiny problems early on, but it's the way they react to resolving any minor issue that is amazing. We have travelled far and wide and this hotel is definitely the best ever. I cant imagine how someone could say this was like a holiday camp? Utter rubbish. It is for couples and romantics and does not have a wild nightlife or events that many hotels do that could make it feel like that. I am quite critical but could not fault this place - I wanted to cry when we left to move on to Le Touessrok and should have done because it wasn't a patch on this place. We heard the GM from Oberoi had moved to Le Touessrok hence had high hopes, but..... We said to Marc Denton on our departure that we couldn't find the words to describe how wonderful the Oberoi is and what a superb team he has. Thank you to all at Oberoi for making the first half of our holiday so special, the only regret is we didn't stay longer and we moved on to Le Touessrok.

Room Tip: We had a luxury Pavillion (307) which was beautiful -cant imagine any rooms are bad
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!