“Honeymoon heaven!”

The Oberoi, Mauritius
London
“Honeymoon heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Well, what can I say – The Oberoi lives up to all expectations and I can genuinely say that it is the best hotel I and my husband have ever stayed at! I hope my detailed review below will do it justice!

The service is impeccable from the moment you drive through the gates, from the grounds men to the general manager, everyone is consistently charming and professional.

We had a luxury Pavilion room (the standard) with views of the gardens, which was furnished beautifully.
Lovely four poster bed, with a medium/hard mattress with luxury quality linen.
The thought that has been put into the room facilities is exceptional – including a glasses rack providing you with the option of every type of glass for any type of drink!
The turn up and down service is handled with military precision – a whole team goes in to turn the room back into its glory every morning and evening – with fresh fruit placed in the room every day, and the most incredible towel sculptures left on the bed! (Small touches which were very well received – and quite comical at times!)

The Bathroom, although it was the smallest we had compared to the other two Mauritian resorts we stayed at, it was very well laid out with beautiful fittings. The bath is sunk into the ground, easily fits two people – you’ll probably find it already run with petals in there when you get back from dinner! Lovely toiletries and good sized shower which feels like your outside as there is an enclosed walled garden right next to you.

The layout of the hotel is lovely, the gardens are immaculate and there are fantastic sculptures every which way you turn.

There are two pools, the larger one is for everyone (family) and the second is for adults only. We were there in the low season so both were extremely quiet and relaxing. At the main pool you have a better selection of drinks to choose from – and the staff were so charming, bringing us nibbles through the day....ones that went with the drink we were ordering! The pool side food is also delicious – My husband never looked so happy eating a burger before!

The beach is very well maintained, deckchairs under palm umbrellas lined up all the way along. It is perhaps not the most stunning of beeches as the sand is not as fine as you will find up in the Trou aux Biches area. You will need protective footwear to swim and the low and high tides mean you need to pick your times right. But the pools more than make up for this, both are right behind the beech with stunning views.

The food – there are three choices:
1) The main restaurant (don’t need to book)– open breakfast and dinner – absolutely delicious! You wish you could stay longer so you could sample everything that is on the menu – I highly suggest eating light lunches so you can properly enjoy the feast at night (their signature smoked scallops were incredible!).
2) On the Rocks restaurant (you need to book in advance) – this is the grill restaurant sat right next to the beech – grilled meat and fresh fish galore! A more relaxed vibe than the main restaurant, with more rustic food. Definitely worth a visit.
3) The Wine Cellar – this is a real treat and was only open Monday and Friday night when we stayed – the cellar is not underground, it is set just above the main restaurant. It only fits three couples in a single sitting, a beautiful stone building with chandeliers and a very romantic atmosphere. It is a chance to taste a wide range of traditional Mauritian food – five starters, then five mains , followed by desert and coffee then liquors! I suggest no lunch the day you eat here! Book this as soon as you arrive and hopefully they will have a table for you during your stay.

There is also a main bar which you will be entertained by live musicians most evenings before and after dinner. The cocktail menu is very extensive and the barmen have serious skills – when I asked if they could make an espresso Martini (not on the menu) they promptly turned out the best espresso Martini I have ever tasted!

The hotel like most offer free water sports, like snorkelling and water-skiing etc. My husband made great use of these! We also had the opportunity to swim with Dolphins as a school had popped up just past the reef – we hired the hotel boat for half an hour (£60 for the two of us) and it was worth every penny! An activity that must not be missed! You may even get lucky and spot a whale shark.

The Spa is open from 8-8pm and is very kitted out for couples to enjoy a range of treatments together. Check at their reception for special offers, as when we stayed if you had your massage booked before 3pm you got 90 minutes for the price of 60 minutes.

There is a gym and 2 tennis courts, but we were too relaxed to make use of them!

Tipping – we are all used to having to tip when in resorts, and sometimes this can become a bit of a stressful exercise over a week. At the Oberoi they request that you do not tip staff individually and if you wish to leave a tip then to do so in an envelope at reception when you leave, noting down any people in particular you wished to thank. I know it allowed my husband to sit back and relax more than anywhere else we stayed at, and it meant all the staff are equally professional. It seems like a very good system to employ as everyone is treated equally.

A special mention to Keesh and Sonah who were so attentive and thoughtful throughout, you both really added to the grins on our faces each day! And to Marc Denton, the General Manager – you made us feels like VIPs!

Overall – yes, the Oberoi is expensive BUT is worth every penny!!! It is the only hotel that has left a lasting impression on us.....we are now more motivated than ever to be successful so that we may enjoy an Oberoi holiday once a year! I only hope we can be that lucky!

Room Tip: the luxury pavilions, although the standard room - are gorgeous and you feel very private.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Venetiar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Now experinced the " big four in mauritius"
The Oberoi is good
The grounds are well groomed
The staff exceptional
Thye food is very good both in the main restaurant and room service
Can't understand the great entuasiasim for a barbacue in on the rocks restaurant in the evening
Watersports are hampered by the less than ideal beach
So, on a par with St Gerain but different, better than Le Touserock
Royal Plam is the best

Room Tip: Sunken bath is adequate in the first place Ask for a sea view
2 Thank britclark17
West Midlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed for 9nights at this wonderful hotel. We are quite well traveled and this is one of the rare occasions when we could have and would have loved to have stayed longer. The hotel staff are all so polite clearly work very well as a team and can't do enough for you. Yes as other reviewers have stated there may be an odd mistake but hey these people are only human, we don't go on holiday to complain and indeed there is very little to complain about. Would we recommend this hotel... Yes definitely. Will we return....hopefully. Final comment .....just go there you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 512 it was the furthest room away from reception/restaurants, bar but fantastic front and side...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

The Oberoi and it's Staff were absolutely amazing. They made us feel extremely special, every member of staff greeted us as they walked past. The resort was immaculate. If you want a relaxful holiday in paradise... This is definitely one of those special places.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrnazislam
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We spent 2 weeks here. It's very nice hotel and the food is very good. What transforms it into an amazing experience is the quality of the service. We've never been anywhere that matches the Oberoi for quality of service. All the staff that we came into contact with were amazing. If you have booked a holiday there you are truly blessed.

3 Thank Nigel M
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We've just returned from a 10 day stay in the Oberoi and it was excellent.

On the drive there from the airport, I commented to my girlfriend that hotels rarely live up to the brochure - but in fact, this one was even better. It starts on arrival, where we were greeted and given a chilled drink with views over the grounds and out to sea. We were then taken to our room - ours was located above the adult pool, meaning we had stunning sea views, with the mountains off to our left. We literally walked into the room, saw the view and said "wow!".

Rooms are pretty large and immaculate (and the bed is huge). Air con was pretty severe and for the first few nights I woke up feeling like I had a cold. We turned the fan down to minimum - the room still stayed cool, and I woke up feeling much better.

If you don't want to be disturbed, definitely use the Privacy sign when you're in the room. The staff are extremely attentive and for the first day - due to a couple of minor issues we needed to resolve - it seemed like somebody was knocking on the door every 5 minutes. Even on a normal day, there is water / ice delivery, turn down etc. - so for some peace, use the sign and keep this to when you're not there.

The grounds, pools and beach are excellent. Incredibly well maintained, and it really is like a postcard brought to life.

Food is generally excellent, and since we were half board breakfast and dinner were included. However, it is pricey - drinks and food are quite heavily loaded, so lunch and pre-dinner drinks soon add up. In a 10 day stay, we managed to spend around £700 which covered lunch daily (usually On the Rocks, consisting of one starter dish, one salad and two drinks), a pre-dinner drink each, and a couple of drinks with dinner (or a bottle of wine). To put it into perspective - two gin and tonics (which of course are 2 x gin and 2 x tonic) works out around £20, and wasn't far less than we paid for lunch + a couple of drinks + a huge banana split dessert in Port Louis one day. Note also that some drinks are massively more for some reason. Not sure if it's import duty related - I'm a scotch whisky fan, but at around £15 a glass I decided to wait until I got home.

Surprisingly, in contrast to the food / drink, the boutique seemed quite reasonably priced.

Staff are extremely polite and very attentive. One morning, my girlfriend decided she didn't want anything from the menu and would simply get fruit etc. from the buffet. After the waiter walked away I commented that we should have ordered the smoked marlin bagel, since I'd considered it a few mornings but not ordered it and we could have tried it even though she didn't really want it. When my order arrived - so did a smoked marlin bagel, because the waiter overheard me as he walked past - and he had therefore added it to the order.

Quite a few water activities are included in the price - but we wanted a lazy holiday and only managed the glass bottom boat - that was excellent though, and we saw plenty of stuff.

We had no wi-fi for a couple of days - we assumed the signal was being broadcast from reception and our room was simply too far away. However, we had a chat with the concierge about something and when we'd finished stated that we were just going to stay for 5 mins so we could access the wi-fi. We were told that this shouldn't be necessary and we should definitely have wi-fi in our room. This was on a Sunday - they made every effort to resolve it, but needed the IT guy who wasn't available until Monday - and he solved it by replacing the box in our room. They were very apologetic - and even left us a few chocolates later that day as an apology - although that was slightly odd. As a couple, it seemed strange to leave us 3 chocolates - and although I didn't expect any at all, it was such a small number of chocolates (on a fairly large plate) that it seemed almost a negative point.

You are advised to wear something that covers your feet when you go into the sea and this is good advice. I ignored it - and one time I went in, I slipped very slightly on a rock and bumped into another one - a very minor bump. However, when I checked my foot after coming out of the sea I found a small bit of clove shaped rock sticking into my foot. I pulled it out, and then had to dig out another small splinter next to it. It's still surprisingly sore a week later and I've had to get some antibiotics from the doctor now I'm back in the UK.

There are plenty of sunbeds on the beach, and these are well spaced - no crowding at all.

If I decided to go back to Mauritius, I would not hesitate to return here. Generally excellent with the only slight negative being the cost of drinks and lunch. Each time I paid for these, I didn't really think I'd got value for money. But the overall experience was still superb and it's the best holiday I've had.

6 Thank Dave964
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We first travelled to the Oberoi for our 10th wedding anniversary and it remains our favourite ever hotel. We returned there last month.
The service sets it far above the rest, a five star as a five star should be. The food is excellent and there is a new outdoor restaurant called 'on the rocks' selling food grilled outside which we loved.
The overall ambience is just fabulous,the gardens are beautiful, so relaxing, and the spa and gym are wonderful.
Something we particularly like is the fact that tipping staff individually is discouraged, you just leave money (if you choose) in an envelope at the end of your holiday.
The rooms are spacious and kept immaculate, the wi fi available everywhere is free. There are a large number of books and DVD's which can be borrowed. The pools are beautiful.
If you want perfection, go for it, you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: We particularly like the 401-408 close to the adults only pool, but all were pretty much equally won...
3 Thank Jetsam95
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,332 reviews
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!