Well, what can I say – The Oberoi lives up to all expectations and I can genuinely say that it is the best hotel I and my husband have ever stayed at! I hope my detailed review below will do it justice!
The service is impeccable from the moment you drive through the gates, from the grounds men to the general manager, everyone is consistently charming and professional.
We had a luxury Pavilion room (the standard) with views of the gardens, which was furnished beautifully.
Lovely four poster bed, with a medium/hard mattress with luxury quality linen.
The thought that has been put into the room facilities is exceptional – including a glasses rack providing you with the option of every type of glass for any type of drink!
The turn up and down service is handled with military precision – a whole team goes in to turn the room back into its glory every morning and evening – with fresh fruit placed in the room every day, and the most incredible towel sculptures left on the bed! (Small touches which were very well received – and quite comical at times!)
The Bathroom, although it was the smallest we had compared to the other two Mauritian resorts we stayed at, it was very well laid out with beautiful fittings. The bath is sunk into the ground, easily fits two people – you’ll probably find it already run with petals in there when you get back from dinner! Lovely toiletries and good sized shower which feels like your outside as there is an enclosed walled garden right next to you.
The layout of the hotel is lovely, the gardens are immaculate and there are fantastic sculptures every which way you turn.
There are two pools, the larger one is for everyone (family) and the second is for adults only. We were there in the low season so both were extremely quiet and relaxing. At the main pool you have a better selection of drinks to choose from – and the staff were so charming, bringing us nibbles through the day....ones that went with the drink we were ordering! The pool side food is also delicious – My husband never looked so happy eating a burger before!
The beach is very well maintained, deckchairs under palm umbrellas lined up all the way along. It is perhaps not the most stunning of beeches as the sand is not as fine as you will find up in the Trou aux Biches area. You will need protective footwear to swim and the low and high tides mean you need to pick your times right. But the pools more than make up for this, both are right behind the beech with stunning views.
The food – there are three choices:
1) The main restaurant (don’t need to book)– open breakfast and dinner – absolutely delicious! You wish you could stay longer so you could sample everything that is on the menu – I highly suggest eating light lunches so you can properly enjoy the feast at night (their signature smoked scallops were incredible!).
2) On the Rocks restaurant (you need to book in advance) – this is the grill restaurant sat right next to the beech – grilled meat and fresh fish galore! A more relaxed vibe than the main restaurant, with more rustic food. Definitely worth a visit.
3) The Wine Cellar – this is a real treat and was only open Monday and Friday night when we stayed – the cellar is not underground, it is set just above the main restaurant. It only fits three couples in a single sitting, a beautiful stone building with chandeliers and a very romantic atmosphere. It is a chance to taste a wide range of traditional Mauritian food – five starters, then five mains , followed by desert and coffee then liquors! I suggest no lunch the day you eat here! Book this as soon as you arrive and hopefully they will have a table for you during your stay.
There is also a main bar which you will be entertained by live musicians most evenings before and after dinner. The cocktail menu is very extensive and the barmen have serious skills – when I asked if they could make an espresso Martini (not on the menu) they promptly turned out the best espresso Martini I have ever tasted!
The hotel like most offer free water sports, like snorkelling and water-skiing etc. My husband made great use of these! We also had the opportunity to swim with Dolphins as a school had popped up just past the reef – we hired the hotel boat for half an hour (£60 for the two of us) and it was worth every penny! An activity that must not be missed! You may even get lucky and spot a whale shark.
The Spa is open from 8-8pm and is very kitted out for couples to enjoy a range of treatments together. Check at their reception for special offers, as when we stayed if you had your massage booked before 3pm you got 90 minutes for the price of 60 minutes.
There is a gym and 2 tennis courts, but we were too relaxed to make use of them!
Tipping – we are all used to having to tip when in resorts, and sometimes this can become a bit of a stressful exercise over a week. At the Oberoi they request that you do not tip staff individually and if you wish to leave a tip then to do so in an envelope at reception when you leave, noting down any people in particular you wished to thank. I know it allowed my husband to sit back and relax more than anywhere else we stayed at, and it meant all the staff are equally professional. It seems like a very good system to employ as everyone is treated equally.
A special mention to Keesh and Sonah who were so attentive and thoughtful throughout, you both really added to the grins on our faces each day! And to Marc Denton, the General Manager – you made us feels like VIPs!
Overall – yes, the Oberoi is expensive BUT is worth every penny!!! It is the only hotel that has left a lasting impression on us.....we are now more motivated than ever to be successful so that we may enjoy an Oberoi holiday once a year! I only hope we can be that lucky!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, TravelUp, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Oberoi, Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Mauritius Hotel Pointe Aux Piments
- Oberoi Hotel Mauritius
- Oberoi Mauritius
- Oberoi Pointe Aux Piments
- Pointe Aux Piments Oberoi
- The Oberoi, Mauritius Pointe Aux Piments