“so much to see and do”

“so much to see and do”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Review of the Oberoi Mauritius
service in general

Thoughtful and well done. We had worked with reservations prior to arrival about what we wanted to do while in Mauritius. They prepared cards of each event so that we could easily sort through our activities by time and date. Very nice.
We left a detailed review of our experience and we received, by email, a detailed and thoughtful response to our feedback. Again, very nice touch.

The staff

We had the opportunity to meet with the GM, Mr Periera. He was very personable and very open to feedback.
The staff greeted us as we walked around the property and by the time my wife and I left, most everyone knew us by name. Especially the restaurant staff as we were very particular about what we like to eat!
The staff was attentive, engaging, and friendly but not too friendly. I found nearly all of the staff to be very professional.

beautiful grounds
A must do is the garden walk with the botanical garden guide. Fascinating and beautiful
I think between my wife and I we took about 500 photos just of the grounds. Getting from point A to point B was rarely more than a leisurely 5 minute walk.

the food
The menus change every four days and so we got to experience the creativity of the chefs.
Do not be afraid to order off menu! I mentioned to the chef that I really like okra and every day I got a new twist on my favorite dish. I really really liked that! And, each dish was delicious!

room service
We had in room villa dining on the last night and we should have had it more often. The service was professional and the food was hot and delicious. The only caveat was that the music selection/ variety was somewhat limited and we don't have Iphones (which seems to be the default music docking station for resort stereos). 1 CM standard jack to the stereo makes a lot more sense in my opinion.

The Oberoi group of hotels does not forget its Indian roots, so, if you like Indian food, you will not be disappointed as Indian food is always on the menu. That said, you can probably order just about anything you want (in advance) and they will prepare it for you. The chef has lots of experience in resorts and can prepare nearly anything you want.

the room
The bed was very comfortable!
We don't watch TV normally but the TV screen was in a cubby that made it hard to view from the bed.

mini bar
Was well stocked but it was the espresso machine that got a lot of use! Very pleased with that as I'm a big coffee drinker.

the villa pool
I spent a fair amount of time just lounging in the pool... very clean, private, and tranquil.
the daily room cleaning and turn down
We were very impressed with how well our room was spruced up after we left. Our shoes and hats were arranged thoughtfully and the room felt clean.
My wife really liked the new towel sculptures we got every day.

the beach
I know having read some other reviews that the beach was panned. I don't know why, the beach was fine. Entrance into the water was a bit rocky in places but nothing that couldn't be fixed with ginger steps or putting on swimming booties. I enjoyed the time at the beach and in the water.
We did order cocktails at the beach a few times but not food. The service was relatively quick and the drinks were tasty. And since the Oberoi is on the west side we got to see some spectacular sunsets.

connectivity
Wifi worked around the property. We also took advantage of the business center to print and scan.

the snorkeling
The snorkeling gear is free of charge at the water sports center. There is snorkeling right in front of the resort. It's not Maldives but there were plenty of fish to see! And, the resort organizes daily snorkeling excursions free of charge.

activities
Naturally hanging out on the beach and relaxing(something we don't get to do much) is one thing that I could do a lot more of but my wife and I were very surprised by how many other things we could do on Mauritius.

As I mentioned, we had been working with reservations about other activities and excursions we could do and we are really quite happy we did and saw so much. I think for my wife visiting the Sands of Chamarel (in a brand new BMW) was probably her favorite. For me, I really liked visiting the waterfalls. A little side story, we were out of the car looking at a waterfall and watching monkeys when it started to rain a little bit. A few minutes later, a man with an umbrella is standing next to us. It was our driver and he had brought us an umbrella! Very nice!

The cooking class at The Oberoi Mauritius wasn't so much a class as a demonstration... I wanted to get my hands into the preparation of the dishes.

I know my wife wanted to do the painting and sculpture classes but unfortunately we just didn't have enough time!

I think the star gazing activity, free and every week, was a big hit for both my wife and I. The man who arranges the event is personable and enthusiastic. It was quite impressive to see how many other guests attended!

And, as I mentioned, the grounds are very nice and the garden excursion was quite enjoyable! So much history on the property too!

Laundry
Not a big thing normally, but my laundry came back in a wicker box, folded and pressed in less than 24 hours.

Overall
I would recommend The Oberoi Mauritius. We did get a chance to visit some other resorts while in Mauritius but I think for weather (The Oberoi is located on the north west side which gets less frantic weather), location and service, The Oberoi Mauritius is the best choice. And, since my wife is in the travel business, hopefully we'll get back soon!

Room Tip: 110 is nice!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yankabout
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of our resort. The team enjoyed having you over for your stay with us. We have shared your feedback with one and all and we are delighted that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments on our product and services on offer at our resort.
Email: generalmanager.mauritius@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It was my first experience at Oberoi and it was great. "I often heard people saying service in Mauritius isn't great!" Well the service was fantastic!!!!!! all we heard was "Yes/ Sure/ No problem/ with pleasure..." The hotel is beautiful, we had a Luxury villa with private pool. The Rooms are spacious, clean cozy, great sea view, Bathrooms are great and modern! private pool is great. Lovely well maintained little garden and good privacy!!!! the hotel provides great general facilities and activities. One of our best 5 Star hotel experience! BRAVO!

As a Minus the beach is small and average for Mauritius

Room Tip: room 206 is the closest to the sea with sunset view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicolas P
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your vote of confidence and for considering us the best hotel you have stayed in. The team is delighted with your comments and we endeavor to ensure that all guests who pass through our doors leave as ambassadors of our resort. We are thrilled we could achieve the same. We look forward to your next stay.
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from Mauritius following our wedding at the Oberoi. Difficult to know where to start with compliments, there were no negatives, the hotel is simply the best I have ever experienced, the staff are amazing and the hotel and grounds generally has a soul that I can't explain into words. The attention to the details you don't even consider is second to none, the setting is a slice of paradise and it feels personal to you. The rooms are truly amazing in terms of their decor and the boutique feel of the complex makes you feel its just all for you.

The Oberoi has given my beautiful wife and I the perfect beginning....(Thank you Amanda :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Burs1974
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi for your wedding and honeymoon. We are pleased that Amanda and the team at the resort helped orchestrate your special day to your specifications and that you have fond memories of the same. We look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary and subsequent stays in Mauritius.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Attention to detail is what makes this hotel so great. Stayed here in May in the Royal Villa with pool, room was great but the service is the best thing about this hotel, staff were discreet when they needed to be, always happy and helpful. I became ill while away and they sent card and flowers to my room. Both restaurants were also very good!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our most popular accommodation – our Royal Villas with private swimming pools. The team and I thank you for choosing The Oberoi for your holidays in Mauritius. We trust you have recovered from your brief illness. We eagerly await your next stay with Oberoi Hotels & Resorts.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here last week and had the most wonderful time. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday , plus it was a pre-wedding relaxation break for her, her fiance, my husband and me.We wanted something really special, with plenty of relaxation and we certainly found it here. All the staff were excellent and went out of their way to look after us. The daily activity sessions are perfectly pitched- Chef Singh runs an inspiring cookery session. I came home and completely restocked my spice cupboard.The wine tasting was great fun and we learned a lot. The 'nature walk' covered history and a bit of local life as well as looking at the plants around the resort. The star gazing on our last night took place on the beach and it was quite magical; warm sand under our feet, the sound of the waves rolling on the beach and a chance to glimpse Saturn ( complete with rings) Mars and the 'jewel box' - not visible from the northern hemisphere and a far distant galaxy. Don't miss the spa- I had treatments most days and loved them all. The couples room is very romantic , with a steam room, Jacuzzi , and the brilliant massage was done while we drifted off, listening to the sound of the gentle wind in the coconut trees. For my daughter's birthday they arranged a suprise breakfast on the terrace with balloons and flowers and sparkling wine. They crept in and did it all without her reliasing anything was happening so it was a real suprise. We also went sailng and snorkeling and took very early morning walks along the beach. The food is heavenly- be warned we all put on a couple of kilos because everything tasted so good. We are Oberio fans - I go to India a couple of times a year on business and always choose to stay in an Oberio if one is nearby. As a woman travelling alone i like the security and the service levels. This Oberio is especially brilliant. It is in our top five hotels around the world and we plan to go back, post wedding!

Room Tip: We had rooms in the 500s which do have great sea views but are further from the restaurant. So furt...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daphne M
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi, Mauritius for your recent stay in Mauritius. We are pleased to hear that your special vacation went well and that you have fond memories to remember the time spent with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed the “Touching Senses” range of activities that we offer at the resort, namely, the star gazing, cooking classes and the nature walk. Thank you for your compliments on the spa and the other services at the resort. We eagerly await your next stay at our resort.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We actually stayed here in Feb 2013 but have only just managed to log on to submit the review!

From arrival to departure there were never any issues. It really is a luxury hotel and all the comes bundled with it. We stayed in a luxury pavilion and it was every bit as the photos on their site show. It had three rooms: bathroom, walk in wardrobe and main living space with double doors that opened up onto the patio area. The free Nespresso machine was a nice touch with the room being tuned down twice a day. On our final night (when we were at dinner) they dressed the bathroom very romantically, drew a bath with rose pestles and left candles lit around the edge.

We would recommend (we didn't see anything in the surrounding area) at least the half board option (we managed to rack up a nice bill just on lunch/drinks but then again we were not holding back!) where we were able to pick anything off the any menu for dinner/breakfast (none of these "restricted" menus that some hotels offer). Everything we ate was lovely and the staff very attentive.

The service was second to none! If you were at the bar and went over to the dining area they would bring your drinks over for you. If you have a handbag in the dining area, they will place it on its own little stool so it is not not the floor! On one occasion we asked to move as the table next to us was pretty noisy, all we did was walk to the other table and the staff moved everything else! All these small things really did add up to a very special holiday so a big thank you to all the staff at The Oberoi for making our honey moon very special.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank seblb
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our resort post your stay in February, 2014. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and had many memorable moments. We sincerely hope you return for your first anniversary.

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We want to share our impressions about vacation in second half of April – first half of May 2014 with my wife Irina and daughter Emily in Mauritius Hotel Oberoi Mauritius. This hotel was recommended to us Kiev Travel Company "Persona Grata" (leaders Dmitry and Tatyana Osyka), who once again confirmed their highest professional level, excellent knowledge of foreign tourist market and quality of the product.
Impressions from a stay at the Hotel Oberoi Mauritius are gorgeous. Before the trip, we were looking for hotel where our child wouldn’t be bored. Reality impressed us. Such an amazing job of children's club we have not met in any hotel of the world and believe us we traveled a lot and seen many beautiful places. In this hotel our daughter Emily tried water skiing on the ocean, for the first time was scuba diving ( in the pool) , dived with snorkeling on the coral reefs in the ocean outside the hotel and so much more interesting and fun things which all was in children's club . Special thanks to Sohahnee Clovis for her attention, kindness, gentleness in dealing with children , for the highest education and professionalism.
Who prefer and appreciate fine dining, the Hotel Oberoi Mauritius welcomes you. You may taste culinary masterpieces here, they are just amazing. Preparation of various seafood , meat dishes and desserts - is fantastic, this is the level of Michelin stars. Bravo to the chef and the whole team. I would like to highlight and thank Prakash Neerunjuna. His cheerfulness , courtesy, professionalism are nicely complements a comfortable , sophisticated atmosphere while in the restaurant.
Amazing tact , gentleness and respect for guests inherent to the whole team at Oberoi Mauritius. Externally the hotel is fabulous for natural beauty and a very warm spirit.
This is certainly due to the tremendous contribution to general manager Mark Dentona. At his highest level of professionalism should pay attention all owners of network hotels and top hotels in the world. Thank you again for a wonderful stay at your hotel.
Vyacheslav , Irina , Emily

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Irina Z
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi at the recommendation of our valued partners from Kiev Travel Company. We are extremely pleased that your daughter Emily enjoyed all the facilities on offer for our younger guests at the resort. Thank you for your lovely comments on our food and beverage offerings and for the team members that you have recognized. I will most certainly pass on your appreciation to them and all the rest of the team. We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe Aux Piments
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!