“First experience w/ Oberoi”

The Oberoi, Mauritius
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had a wonderful vacation with our 19 month old son at the Oberoi. The staff was excellent and attentive and the facilities are gorgeous. Since it's early winter there weren't too many guests around. We followed the advise of others and brought water shoes which came in handy. The water was warm and perfect and the rocks kept our son entertained. We would happily visit again as long as we can get a direct flight to this beautiful island:).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Steph R
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing The Oberoi, Mauritius as your first experience with Oberoi Hotels and Resorts. The team and I are thrilled that you have carried back fond memories. We are pleased that your family vacation was an enjoyable and memorable one. We look forward to your patronage of Oberoi Hotels in the future.
Email: generalmanager.mauritius@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the first time I write a review for a hotel, though we have stayed in countless 5-star hotels around the world. Our preference is always the top 5 chains and that is what we always request when traveling for work or pleasure. The reason why we would like to write this review is because we believe this hotel is very special and truly deserves an excellent review. Aside from the fact that the hotel is beautiful structurally, design-wise, and landscape-wise, the service is impeccable. We have never encountered such an amazing experience with service and attention to detail before in any of our previous experiences globally. We definitely recommend that you stay at the Oberoi in Mauritius and I'm sure the experience will be likewise in other countries that we are yet to try and make as our first choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adib T

Dear Guest,
We are honored that you have chosen us to write your first review. We thank you for your wonderful comments on the resort. Thank you for recommending us as the place to stay in Mauritius. We look forward to your future stays at our resort and at Oberoi Hotels and Resorts in general.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Review of the Oberoi Mauritius
service in general

Thoughtful and well done. We had worked with reservations prior to arrival about what we wanted to do while in Mauritius. They prepared cards of each event so that we could easily sort through our activities by time and date. Very nice.
We left a detailed review of our experience and we received, by email, a detailed and thoughtful response to our feedback. Again, very nice touch.

The staff

We had the opportunity to meet with the GM, Mr Periera. He was very personable and very open to feedback.
The staff greeted us as we walked around the property and by the time my wife and I left, most everyone knew us by name. Especially the restaurant staff as we were very particular about what we like to eat!
The staff was attentive, engaging, and friendly but not too friendly. I found nearly all of the staff to be very professional.

beautiful grounds
A must do is the garden walk with the botanical garden guide. Fascinating and beautiful
I think between my wife and I we took about 500 photos just of the grounds. Getting from point A to point B was rarely more than a leisurely 5 minute walk.

the food
The menus change every four days and so we got to experience the creativity of the chefs.
Do not be afraid to order off menu! I mentioned to the chef that I really like okra and every day I got a new twist on my favorite dish. I really really liked that! And, each dish was delicious!

room service
We had in room villa dining on the last night and we should have had it more often. The service was professional and the food was hot and delicious. The only caveat was that the music selection/ variety was somewhat limited and we don't have Iphones (which seems to be the default music docking station for resort stereos). 1 CM standard jack to the stereo makes a lot more sense in my opinion.

The Oberoi group of hotels does not forget its Indian roots, so, if you like Indian food, you will not be disappointed as Indian food is always on the menu. That said, you can probably order just about anything you want (in advance) and they will prepare it for you. The chef has lots of experience in resorts and can prepare nearly anything you want.

the room
The bed was very comfortable!
We don't watch TV normally but the TV screen was in a cubby that made it hard to view from the bed.

mini bar
Was well stocked but it was the espresso machine that got a lot of use! Very pleased with that as I'm a big coffee drinker.

the villa pool
I spent a fair amount of time just lounging in the pool... very clean, private, and tranquil.
the daily room cleaning and turn down
We were very impressed with how well our room was spruced up after we left. Our shoes and hats were arranged thoughtfully and the room felt clean.
My wife really liked the new towel sculptures we got every day.

the beach
I know having read some other reviews that the beach was panned. I don't know why, the beach was fine. Entrance into the water was a bit rocky in places but nothing that couldn't be fixed with ginger steps or putting on swimming booties. I enjoyed the time at the beach and in the water.
We did order cocktails at the beach a few times but not food. The service was relatively quick and the drinks were tasty. And since the Oberoi is on the west side we got to see some spectacular sunsets.

connectivity
Wifi worked around the property. We also took advantage of the business center to print and scan.

the snorkeling
The snorkeling gear is free of charge at the water sports center. There is snorkeling right in front of the resort. It's not Maldives but there were plenty of fish to see! And, the resort organizes daily snorkeling excursions free of charge.

activities
Naturally hanging out on the beach and relaxing(something we don't get to do much) is one thing that I could do a lot more of but my wife and I were very surprised by how many other things we could do on Mauritius.

As I mentioned, we had been working with reservations about other activities and excursions we could do and we are really quite happy we did and saw so much. I think for my wife visiting the Sands of Chamarel (in a brand new BMW) was probably her favorite. For me, I really liked visiting the waterfalls. A little side story, we were out of the car looking at a waterfall and watching monkeys when it started to rain a little bit. A few minutes later, a man with an umbrella is standing next to us. It was our driver and he had brought us an umbrella! Very nice!

The cooking class at The Oberoi Mauritius wasn't so much a class as a demonstration... I wanted to get my hands into the preparation of the dishes.

I know my wife wanted to do the painting and sculpture classes but unfortunately we just didn't have enough time!

I think the star gazing activity, free and every week, was a big hit for both my wife and I. The man who arranges the event is personable and enthusiastic. It was quite impressive to see how many other guests attended!

And, as I mentioned, the grounds are very nice and the garden excursion was quite enjoyable! So much history on the property too!

Laundry
Not a big thing normally, but my laundry came back in a wicker box, folded and pressed in less than 24 hours.

Overall
I would recommend The Oberoi Mauritius. We did get a chance to visit some other resorts while in Mauritius but I think for weather (The Oberoi is located on the north west side which gets less frantic weather), location and service, The Oberoi Mauritius is the best choice. And, since my wife is in the travel business, hopefully we'll get back soon!

Room Tip: 110 is nice!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yankabout

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of our resort. The team enjoyed having you over for your stay with us. We have shared your feedback with one and all and we are delighted that you have carried back fond memories of your stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments on our product and services on offer at our resort.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

It was my first experience at Oberoi and it was great. "I often heard people saying service in Mauritius isn't great!" Well the service was fantastic!!!!!! all we heard was "Yes/ Sure/ No problem/ with pleasure..." The hotel is beautiful, we had a Luxury villa with private pool. The Rooms are spacious, clean cozy, great sea view, Bathrooms are great and modern! private pool is great. Lovely well maintained little garden and good privacy!!!! the hotel provides great general facilities and activities. One of our best 5 Star hotel experience! BRAVO!

As a Minus the beach is small and average for Mauritius

Room Tip: room 206 is the closest to the sea with sunset view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicolas P

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your vote of confidence and for considering us the best hotel you have stayed in. The team is delighted with your comments and we endeavor to ensure that all guests who pass through our doors leave as ambassadors of our resort. We are thrilled we could achieve the same. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from Mauritius following our wedding at the Oberoi. Difficult to know where to start with compliments, there were no negatives, the hotel is simply the best I have ever experienced, the staff are amazing and the hotel and grounds generally has a soul that I can't explain into words. The attention to the details you don't even consider is second to none, the setting is a slice of paradise and it feels personal to you. The rooms are truly amazing in terms of their decor and the boutique feel of the complex makes you feel its just all for you.

The Oberoi has given my beautiful wife and I the perfect beginning....(Thank you Amanda :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Burs1974
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi for your wedding and honeymoon. We are pleased that Amanda and the team at the resort helped orchestrate your special day to your specifications and that you have fond memories of the same. We look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary and subsequent stays in Mauritius.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Attention to detail is what makes this hotel so great. Stayed here in May in the Royal Villa with pool, room was great but the service is the best thing about this hotel, staff were discreet when they needed to be, always happy and helpful. I became ill while away and they sent card and flowers to my room. Both restaurants were also very good!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our most popular accommodation – our Royal Villas with private swimming pools. The team and I thank you for choosing The Oberoi for your holidays in Mauritius. We trust you have recovered from your brief illness. We eagerly await your next stay with Oberoi Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here last week and had the most wonderful time. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday , plus it was a pre-wedding relaxation break for her, her fiance, my husband and me.We wanted something really special, with plenty of relaxation and we certainly found it here. All the staff were excellent and went out of their way to look after us. The daily activity sessions are perfectly pitched- Chef Singh runs an inspiring cookery session. I came home and completely restocked my spice cupboard.The wine tasting was great fun and we learned a lot. The 'nature walk' covered history and a bit of local life as well as looking at the plants around the resort. The star gazing on our last night took place on the beach and it was quite magical; warm sand under our feet, the sound of the waves rolling on the beach and a chance to glimpse Saturn ( complete with rings) Mars and the 'jewel box' - not visible from the northern hemisphere and a far distant galaxy. Don't miss the spa- I had treatments most days and loved them all. The couples room is very romantic , with a steam room, Jacuzzi , and the brilliant massage was done while we drifted off, listening to the sound of the gentle wind in the coconut trees. For my daughter's birthday they arranged a suprise breakfast on the terrace with balloons and flowers and sparkling wine. They crept in and did it all without her reliasing anything was happening so it was a real suprise. We also went sailng and snorkeling and took very early morning walks along the beach. The food is heavenly- be warned we all put on a couple of kilos because everything tasted so good. We are Oberio fans - I go to India a couple of times a year on business and always choose to stay in an Oberio if one is nearby. As a woman travelling alone i like the security and the service levels. This Oberio is especially brilliant. It is in our top five hotels around the world and we plan to go back, post wedding!

Room Tip: We had rooms in the 500s which do have great sea views but are further from the restaurant. So furt...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daphne M
TheOberoiMauritius, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi, Mauritius for your recent stay in Mauritius. We are pleased to hear that your special vacation went well and that you have fond memories to remember the time spent with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed the “Touching Senses” range of activities that we offer at the resort, namely, the star gazing, cooking classes and the nature walk. Thank you for your compliments on the spa and the other services at the resort. We eagerly await your next stay at our resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe Aux Piments
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 7 in Grand Gaube
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury

Been to The Oberoi, Mauritius? Share your experiences!