“Great hotel, great staff”

Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed at Le Victoria for a week in beginning of June. The staff went out of their way to accommodate all of our requests. We were initially allocated a room close to the hotel delivery area and kitchen & after requesting to move we were moved to a stunning room in a quieter area of the hotel.
Will definitely return should we have the opportunity.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MariliseM
Write a ReviewReviews (2,992)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

So my wife and I planned a trip to Mauritius in April. After looking at hundred's of brochures(not really) on resort we settled on Le Victoria with help from our fantastic travel agent Genevieve at Flight Center. We read up alot about the place on Trip Advisor before we left so we were really looking forward to making this trip with our two kids 4 and half and 4months old. And true to Le Victoria's class it did not disappoint from the time we arrived. WE arrived late on a Thursday evening but quickly checked in and directed to dinner where we found an amazing Buffet dinner that catered for all our needs. Getting into our room was stupendious we had been upgraded to the Superior suite on the 3rd level Room 330. Fantastic apartment but only complaint, it is the closest to the entertainment area so if you a light sleeper rather. It was however the closest room to reception and dining area and pool so pretty good. The room was absolutely perfect and the cleaner Rahul made sure it was spotless everyday. Exploring the resort we probably found our heaven on earth. The resort caters for your every need. Enjoy a relaxing day at the pool or on the beach. Definitely a family orientated resort by the number of kids. And with kids the Kids club was perfect the ladies were so helpful and friendly. The food was absolutely amazing the Buffet was perfect and something new every evening. If you were there for more than a week I can understand why other reviewers did not like it as it would be repetitive but for us for a week it was grand. WE did get to the other restaurants and probably sad that we did not use Le Casa the Italian restaurant more. Everyone raves about Le Horizon the seafood restaurant but for us Le Casa was better. And on the All inclusive we paid for nothing at either of these restaurants. They were even more accommodating to my daughter making her chicken nuggets and chips which was not even on the menu.
There are tons of things to do everyday so no chance of getting bored. All watersport were free except paragliding, so if you wanna try watersking go for it they have a boat with a training bar.
This place is the best I have experienced in Mauritius and we will definitely go back. All the staff are fantastic so thank you Le Victoria for giving us an amazing holiday. Can go on and on but not enough space so go experience it for yourself you will not be disappointed. Everything is expensive if you on the rand so definitely go All-inclusive.

Room Tip: Room 330 is very nice but very close to entertainment. Rather try apartments on any level ending wit...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank AvineshP
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed there in February and it was the best holiday ever. All the staff was extremely friendly and everyone went the extra mile from the bar/restaurant and cleaning staff. My fiancé proposed to me on the beach during the most romantic dinner that was arranged by the restaurant. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jani W
Reviewed 5 June 2014

One month later and I still dream of our heavenly week at Le Victoria. We had a warm welcome and arrived early enough to still have a swim, while in the pool one of the waiters recognized us from our last visit and greeted us with a huge smile. We stayed in a Deluxe room which is situated on the third floor with the most magnificent beach views. Definitely the better option for rooms as we have stayed on the second floor before. The staff was incredibly friendly and attended to our every need. The pool and beach service was impeccable. We ate at all 3 restaurants on the resort and only had wonderful, flavorsome food and well presented meals and dinning experiences. Our days consisted of snorkeling and endless hours of relaxing next to the pool with more than our share of yummy cocktails. The ultimate way to relax and unwind. We also pampered ourselves with a couples massage on arrival, which added to instantly relaxing. I am already making plans to return next year. I would like to thank the staff and general manager of Le Victoria in making our stay so memorable, we will never forget it.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite big, but the best views are from the rooms located on the 3rd floor.
3  Thank Sonja N
Reviewed 5 June 2014

TRIP ADVISOR – MAY 2014
Lothar Gross is the General Manager of the Le Victoria Hotel. Lothar speaks German, French, English, Creole and probably several more languages. He is, in my view, a particularly competent, experienced and very professional hotelier thoroughly deserving of his position at Le Vic. Lothar has assembled around him a team of managers and staff that will do everything reasonable to make your stay at the hotel everything that you imagined. Yes, it is a seaside holiday resort and yes, things go wrong but it is how they are sorted that is all important to me.
My wife and I married at Le Vic in 2004 and we have returned every year since Lothar assumed office during or about 2009. When we can, we visit twice a year. I have written on Trip Advisor previously and there is not much to add. The hotel works for us and we just love it. There is however an ongoing problem- depending on your point of view. We met a honeymoon couple from the UK who were furious with their travel agent. The Le Vic was sold to them as a quiet, romantic, honeymoon destination. The Le Vic is nothing like that at all. There are times when the place is entirely over run by noisy, rude, obnoxious little brats whose sole reason for being on earth is to make sure that all of the full paying guests (the kids stay free) have anything but a romantic, quiet holiday by the sea! Can’t blame the kids or the hotel. It is the parents with whom I take issue. There are just far too many that just don’t give a damn about how badly behaved their kids are. Sadly, SA parents appear to be the worst culprits and with the financial problems facing Europe, SA families are tending to dominate the guest list.
The hotel does everything that it reasonably can to keep the warring factions apart. There is a mini club at no charge and there are babysitting facilities. The kids have their own section in the restaurants that open an hour early to suit the kids. But no, a certain group of parents insist on ruining my dining experience at the wonderfully romantic and beautifully positioned speciality restaurants. It is a two edged sword. The hotel needs the families and the Le Vic is perfect for families due to its very large and spacious rooms but then couples must be warned that their holiday can be a toss of the coin. When there are few kids around, the Le Vic is hard to beat – for service, friendliness, quality, location, value for money and you name it.
There is of course a solution to the kid issue. Beachcomber could designate the fabulous speciality restaurants and half the beach to adults only. If that happens, well, Le Victoria will be very hard to beat in all departments as both a family and couples resort.
So, having regard to everything that I have moaned about above, the burning question remains, where will we take our next holiday? We are already planning to return to Le Vic in September. That must say it all but you should be warned. It can be Heaven or it can be Hell. Heaven is just unbeatable on every front. I really can’t fathom the very few Trip Advisor posts that slate the management and staff. Due to our regular visits they know us by name and we know them by name which tells you that there is very little staff turnover at the hotel. This goes to the management style of Lothar and his outstanding team. Another good judge of the hotel is the number of repeat guests that my wife and I now start to recognise each year.
If you are feeling lucky, then look no further than Le Victoria. I have visited Mauritius more than 30 times and I have visited approximately 15 hotels on the Island. The Le Victoria is thoroughly deserving of its Trip Advisor Awards. But, it is a family resort so be warned.

6  Thank CapeTownWatty
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at Le Victoria in May 2014, and it was absolutely fabulous, except for the food.

The hotel is beautiful, the location is good, and the beach is breathtaking.
The rooms are lovely and big, and are clean and comfortable.

We enjoyed the Seafood restaurant (Horizion), but were not happy with the buffet restaurant (Le Superbe). The food wasn't very good, which is such a pity, because if the food was good there, this hotel would be our favourite!! The baguettes served at lunch time around the swimming pool were very tasty, and I would recommend them as a lunch option, instead of the buffet.

All in all, our holiday was magical though... some of the most amazing sunsets we have ever seen, and we look forward to visiting again sometime in the future.

Room Tip: We had a superior ground floor room and it was lovely!! Would definitely recommend a ground floor ro...
1  Thank Jennapole
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks in May 2014. We had a family apartment and were really pleased with the view. It was an extremely spacious apartment and we were very happy.

All inclusive is a must with children!

Our wedding was organised by Devina. 2 days before our wedding we were escorted to town by a taxi driver to sign our documents and it was fine as I dreaded this bit...,our driver took us in to the Town hall and never left our sides until it was all done....that afternoon we met with Devina and went through our requests....( although you can contact sooner) we had no stress at all and she is just so chilled and very professional ....we chose the luxury package and it was worth it..... We paid extra for the local musicians and they were great....I requested someone bring the steamer to my room to do my dress as I didn't want it out of my sight.....the lovely man stood for an hour steaming every crease out of my dress......well worth the tip I gave him!!

Devina helped me do my dress and helped dress my daughter :0)

Hair/ makeup....if you are fussy then be clear, take photos etc .....I lay all my makeup out and requested this is what the lady used and it was perfect..... My hair was lovely too and she did my daughters too which was just gorgeous!!!

The spa treatments that were included in my package were fab too! I had manicure and mini facial instead of pedicure, then the day after the wedding we both had body scrub and full massage ( I paid extra for my body scrub) it was divine!!!!

The wedding was everything we imagined and very chilled. Our photographer was brilliant and listened to our requests, he sent a few photos by email that night and amazingly he produced an album in 2 days plus 2 discs full of photos :0)

This is a ' family' resort...not sure why people act surprised to find children there. So if you are single or don't like children then go elsewhere as it is a 'family' resort ...May is a great time of year to come with children as not too hot!
Rude staff?? The only rudeness I came across was from a Belgium man over a 'saved' sun bed.... Yes even happens in Mauritius!!!! They saved 10 beds and went off for a few hours....I innocently sat on his bed and he swore at me in front of my children.....charming man!!

Then there were a few families who were obviously used to hired help as I was shocked at how some people treated the staff! We got on very well with the staff....probably because we showed them the mutual respect they deserved! Yes some staff are just quietly efficient, and others were more chatty and confident, but not once did I come across rudeness other than from some guests!!

The kids club was brilliant and staff were lovely.....this club is very well organised and you can relax knowing your child is safe!!

Food is great and there is something for everyone!! I loved the Chinese night......My son loved the pancakes and chocolate sauce every morning! My husband loved the desserts!!

We went on a trip to swim with dolphins, it cost £300 for 2 adults, teenager & child and worth every penny .....you are out for the day and get a bbq which was really nice ( take food if fussy children though) but my daughter enjoyed it!! Take your own decent snorkelling gear as we used their basic equipment.....I swam half a meter away from a dolphin....truly a trip to remember!

The resort do free snorkelling, kayaking and glass bottom boat etc

My son (14) enjoyed football, volleyball, kayaking, water polo, but could do with more for teenagers.

Wifi was poor so they do need to sort this out, but didn't bother us too much.

The spa was fab and I visited a few times.....

The pool is lovely, my daughter made many friends by the pool.

The beach.....please take beach shoes especially for children.

It was a wonderful holiday and wedding and we will return again soon :0)

Stayed: May 2014
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!