“Stunning!”

Constance Prince Maurice
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pointe de Flacq
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at Le Prince just after Easter. We arrived on the early morning flight and despite feeling travel sick, were bowled over as soon as we went through the gates, down the long drive through tropical gardens, passed the heliport and then ... entered reception: wow! The hotel and its setting are simply beautiful. We continued to feel that way after we recovered from the journey and explored the grounds. Loved the walkway to the floating bar and restaurant from which many tropical fish can be spotted, including a lion fish and patterned eel. The opposite side, towards the ocean, boasts sweeping views across the bay, and the beach side has the lagoon and mangroves at one end and the ocean - from which a constant roar of waves crashing onto the reef could be heard - on the other.
Our room was a junior suite, the cheapest category, as the beach suites were all busy (we booked quite late) and I wasn't sure about the stilted lagoon suites.
It was a downstairs terraced one - no 58 - which was quite dark or nice and shady, with just a few steps to the sea and the gorgeous lap pool. A perfect location. We enjoyed our room, which had a quite firm but comfortable large bed, and a huge bathroom. The air con worked perfectly - inc in the bathroom - though we would have preferred a ceiling fan for when we had the doors open. I requested one to be brought which arrived quickly, plus an extension lead so that we could use it on our terrace too. Apart from the 2 doors, the windows didn't open, inc the one behind the deep bath tub. WiFi worked well and there was a computer to allow you to access the internet via your TV with a keyboard provided (I misread somewhere that mini iPads were provided and left mine at home which was a mistake).
WiFi was also decent in the pool bar.
The service was amazing - the friendliest and best 'room boy' we ever accounted (thank you, Sameer!), excellent service at the beach too in terms of setting up beds etc, and I was very well looked after when I had stomach problems and needed to see the doctor. It's the kind of hotel which bakes you fresh crackers every day when you enquire where you could buy some :)
The service at the pool and floating bars were great too. And we enjoyed the views. The floating restaurant produces great food (unfortunately I was on boiled rice but my husband enjoyed his very much), though for us the motion created by people walking on and off was not something we enjoyed as we suffer from motion sickness so we didn't return.
The main restaurant produced consistently high quality food, even though after a few days the vegetarian options were somewhat limited and often appeared to be aimed at dieting healthy eaters, lacking entirely in protein / carbs.
I did speak to the chef and was able to order off menu.
The Asian restaurant was not to our taste ... most of the food is served cold, some of it raw / marinated, including my veggie spring roll and main dish - cold noodles. I was really disappointed at that as I had given 24 hour notice (being vegetarian) and requested something special as there were no main vegetarian courses on the menu, and expected a crispy tofu dish. The service was also excruciatingly slow, 1 hour till starters, with only a small aperitif which we didn't like to keep us going, so by the time the cold noodles were served, we walked away and ate in the main restaurant instead. I think they should have told us what to expect ... Saying that, sushi lovers will probably have a great time.
The service in the main restaurant was hit and miss: Sometimes it was excellent but many times drinks would arrive when we were getting our main course, so that we adapted what we selected, hoping it might be quicker (eg foregoing fresh fruit cocktails for Sprite or Orangina not something I'd normally drink). Oh, and we were never offered ice, always had to remember to request it ...
We viewed a lagoon villa on stilts with a view to moving there but decided it was not for us as the decking and part of the villa was sunny - perfect for sun worshippers though! I did like the villa other than that, though note it is not private, with everyone's decking open both sides (no screens) and even part of the rooms open to your neighbours' views (though there are blinds). The setting is lovely though and much quieter than ours. We could hear people above when they moved a chair etc and of course right and left when sitting on our terrace. Sometimes it was extremely peaceful, other times like being in a Kindergarten. Walking to pre-dinner drinks you could hear one crying baby after another in the adjoining suites ...
Talking about other guests, by far the largest group were French during our 11-night stay, and then a real mix from all over (Russian, Chinese, German, Italian etc). Half the guests were families, ranging from couple with baby to large family groups. The kids club was not well used despite of that, and the children were generally very well behaved. But of course kids' voices can be rather loud particularly when playing.
I did enjoy the spa, though more specifically the treatments and treatment rooms; not the relaxation area which was a breeze less sunny courtyard where you were expected to sit with a thick bathrobe ... This needs sorting, either with fans or architectural changes, or both. I was also disappointed in the service - at other spas you are greeted with a cold flannel and some delicious drink, and afterwards again offered a lovely drink. I was given a tepid glass of water ... there was also a jug of juice standing about but as that looked warm I asked for water.
The shops were nice and stocked essentials but would have liked the opportunity to purchase some of the beautiful items the hotel provided / used.
My husband also enjoyed the pitch & putt, and despite our intentions we didn't use the complimentary bikes, or exercise classes (some on the beach).
The water was warm and there is a fairly large bit cordoned off for swimming (occasionally shared with locals fishing), to ensure no collisions with boats etc. There is nothing to see in terms of fish, so don't bother bringing snorkelling gear. The boat house rents these out if needed during trips, and also provides jelly shoes - it is not advisable to wade into sea without - I always made sure I was swimming as quickly as I could and didn't go in at low tide when you could have walked to the reef edge (but not allowed as way beyond the cordon). My husband got two cuts on his feet, luckily minor and didn't get infected.
Note that the grounds are also frequented by at least 4 dogs which tend to go round in packs ... seemed harmless and there were of course some guests feeding them.
We did use the complimentary glass bottom boat and snorkelling trips (which run daily) which were pleasant with friendly staff.
Note that only hotel approved taxis are allowed on the grounds - so a taxi, return, to Port Louis (50 mins) or Pamplemousse Gardens (45 mins) is c £60 including waiting time. The airport transfer took 50 mins on the way back in the early hours (5am, grrrr) and disappointingly the promised take away breakfast never materialised (we waited 10 mins for our suitcases to be collected by golf buggy to our taxi, and there was no staff to be seen). So, not a perfect goodbye.
In summary, we had a lovely relaxing time, and were very sad to leave, and would recommend this beautiful hotel - despite some minor service issues.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you to have spared your time in writing such a long review about your holiday experience at Constance Le Prince Maurice.

I am very happy indeed to see that you kept good souvenirs of the moment spent with us despite the few issues you mentioned.

At Constance Le Prince Maurice we strive to keep a very high standard of service and I wish to thank you for your valuable remarks which will no doubt help us in bringing better service delivery.

I do hope to have the honour of welcoming you back in the near future and would request you to contact me so that I may personally follow-up with your holiday arrangements.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Family of 4 (kids 10 & 7). We booked this on recommendation from the agent. We couldn't be happier with the holiday and Prince Maurice. Fantastic location, excellent staff, delicious food, range of activities was awesome. The kids were very well looked after ours aren't interested in being dropped for the day at kids club, and the arrangement here was perfect. A schedule of events for the kids was provided and they could pick and choose what they wanted to do. Suited them perfectly. The floating restaurant was excellent, room service was top notch and the half board food was varied and of great quality. We're in the process of booking for 2015 now!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Sir,

We wish to thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays with your family in Mauritius.

I am very happy to see that you did have a fantastic break and made these moments special and full of souvenirs for all the family members.

The floating restaurant remains a magical experience that all guests staying at Constance Le Prince Maurice need to try at least one during his stay.

We do look forward to your return trip in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We chose this hotel and location for a two week relaxation holiday and we certainly chose well! We were looked after like royalty, the staff we very attentive, polite and friendly. The food was excellent, lots to choose from. The room was wonderful, very clean, tidy and comfortable. A big thank you to Ashok and all his lovely staff for making our holiday one to remember. We would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Sea View - definitely worth it
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your remarks received on 'Trip Advisor'. Hope you had a safe trip back home after the few days spent with us.

The team is simply touched by these very kind words and we are happy to have been able to make you feel like 'royalty'...

I hope to have the honour of welcoming you soon again for another memorable stay at 'Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel'.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Recently returned from a couple of days at this hotel and I would definitely recommend it! The hotel is beautiful and all of the staff are lovely.
The rooms were stunning and very clean. The food was very nice and was beautifully presented. If you are visiting Mauritius you should definitely consider visiting this hotel.

2  Thank Laurie M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having spared your time to write about your holiday and share this experience on this traveler's platform.

I am happy to see that you keep good souvenirs of the moments spent with us and I look forward to your return trip in your near future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Reception -superb
Rooms - stunning
Food - excellent (the floating dining experience is a must )
Staff - excellent
Bottle of house red approx £20
Bottle of beer approx £4.50
Coke £3
Overall a wonderful place top class ,would defo visit again

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Lagrae15

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen our hotel as your holiday destination and am just happy to know that you have been delighted and thoroughly enjoyed these few days.

I would hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I just spent 12 days at the resort for the 2nd time with my husband and kids. Lots of activities for children and adults, in and out of the water. Great also just to sit back and relax. The staff is warm and accommodating to special needs of the children, especially when it comes to food. The fitness coach (Isabelle, who gave me pilates coaching) and the tennis coach (Mattias) were fantastic. Mattias was great with the tennis lessons for the kids. They've done a great job with the space, as you never feel that it's crowded. The beach villa with pool is perfect for families with 1-3 children. The massages with Ishram were very effective. And Amlish at the front desk was extremely helpful.

The sea and selection of fruit is best in summer. There was quite a bit of seaweed near the shore this time.

Room Tip: The beach villa with pool is perfect for families with 1-3 children.
3  Thank vaudois1969
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind note.

We are delighted to know that you did enjoy the few days spent with us at Constance Le Prince Maurice. I am very glad to know that even the children had a great time and that they have been well pampered by the team whilst you were enjoying these relaxing moments.

I wish to thank you again for having chosen our hotel as your destination place and do hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We did not want to leave this wonderful place. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome and were looked after as if we were the most important people in the world. There was tremendous attention to detail in the way the accommodation, food and facilities were presented and nothing was too much trouble for the lovely staff. The three restaurants provide a nice range of menus with special evenings adding to the choice. Cocktails and wines were not cheap but the quality was good and we did not feel the need to over indulge. As a result we made good use of the facility to reserve the odd unused half bottle of wine for subsequent meals. We enjoyed the dress code in the restaurants which added to the style of the place and showed some respect for the immaculate staff. There was so much more and we could go on but it is sufficient to say that if you want something it is probably available from this hotel - we would go back like a shot!! Thank you to everyone at the Prince Maurice!
As an aside we have not graded the spa which we did not visit and the location would not suit anyone who wanted to walk out locally. The beach is nice but quite small and does not provide for those who like to stroll or swim for miles!

Room Tip: We were pleased to have a villa facing the lagoon which was quite private and sheltered from the Eas...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Prince Maurice, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you to you for having spared your time to relate about your holidays in such beautiful words.

We are happy that see that not only we did manage to exceed your expectations in the different facilities that we do actually provide but for the fact that the team did pamper you all throughout your stay.

The dress code is indeed an important aspect for our hotel standard and our guests do pay much importance to it. It is a sin of respect to the hotel establishment but mostly to the guests who choose to stay with us during their holidays in Mauritius.

I will surely hope to welcome you back for another stay with us in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe de Flacq
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
The Residence Mauritius
The Residence Mauritius
#3 of 13 in Belle Mare

Been to Constance Prince Maurice? Share your experiences!