“Paradise within paradise”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pointe de Flacq
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise within paradise”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Back in rainy UK, it seems fitting to draw on our memories of the last 3 weeks in Mauritius and share with you our experience of Le Prince Maurice (LPM). Having spent week 1 at the Royal Palm, renowned for being the best hotel on the island, we were slightly apprehensive, as we made our journey to LPM. After all, how could the next hotel possibly exceed our expectations as had been the case the previous week? But it was soon apparent, that as different as the two hotels are, we were not in the slightest bit disappointed to have arrived on the East of the Island. I don't need to spend any time describing how beautiful the hotel is, as many reviewers before me have set the scene. The hotel is smaller than some of the other resorts, but for us this is part of its charm, as it is more intimate, friendly, approachable, but still delivering all the same options and facilities as some of the larger resorts.

Every member of LPM staff we had the pleasure to meet was friendly, efficient and demonstrated a desire to make our stay with them memorable for all the right reasons. I see some comments below regarding the speed of service and yes the whole ethos of Mauritius is at a slower and more relaxed pace than many of us are used to. However, when we used the laundry service, despite being next day return it was often returned same day. When we ordered room service, it was delivered as advised within 30 minutes. When we requested the restaurant wine list in order to select wines in our room to accompany lunch/dinners it was delivered within minutes. Whenever we sat in the public areas within seconds we were approached with a friendly smile and the offer of a drink or any other requirement. We can honestly say we were given the impression nothing was too much trouble. The team strives to be professional and delivery very high standards and I am sure from our encounters that management would be very interested in your feedback and would want to act upon it immediately if you felt this wasn't the case.

I write this review with reservation, as from a purely selfish point of view and as we intend to return next year I would rather keep this little gem of a resort to ourselves, but then that wouldn't be fair and I don't see why you wouldn't have the same fantastic experience as us, it's definitely worth putting at the top of your list of places to stay in Mauritius.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnonymousHK
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you first of all to have chosen our hotel as your holiday destination during your visit in our island.

I am happy to see know that you thoroughly enjoyed this second part of your holiday, having chosen to stay in 2 different hotels and that we managed to live up to your expectations.

I have shared your remarks to the team and we can only be thankful to you for appreciating our services and specially the attention that each team member did give to make you have the ultimate holiday experience.

We will indeed look forward to your return trip as promised.

Christophe Plantier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I would suggest this exclusive hotel to everybody.The environment / atmosphere is breath-taking. The rooms and the view is just beautyful, everything is nice and clean.The service is perfect, no doubt

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabor M
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Sir,

I wish to thank you for sharing your holiday experiences of your stay at Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel.

It was a pleasure to host the group and ensure that all participants were well looked-after.

I do wish to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have recently returned from a wonderful week at the delightful Prince Maurice. Everything about this amazing island was made more pleasurable by the time we spent on the grounds of the Prince Maurice and the exceptionally attentive staff on hand to make our stay feel like we were the only people visiting. Every detail was considered and we simply loved every minute we stayed. The food was great and a special thanks to Cemel the Patisserie chef who made some amazing treats and was often on hand to explain his latest master piece. I could go on and on... If you have the opportunity to go I am sure you will not be disappointed. Thank you to all that staff for making us feel so welcome

Room Tip: Try and get a room close to the pool, this was great for the children and was also very close to the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Zuheir A
PrinceMaurice, General Manager at Constance Le Prince Maurice, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having chosen 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' as your holiday destination during your visit in Mauritius recently.

Hope you had a safe flight back home and not much problem to adapt to normal life after the few days spent with us.

I am very happy to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you were pampered by our team all throughout your holidays.

I did convey your compliments to our Chef who is always on the verge to meet up to the expectations of all our guests and delight them with his delicacies.

I do hope you will visit us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband booked Le Prince Maurice for the last part of our honeymoon. Based on the Trip Advisor reviews and the website, I initially thought he had made the best possible choice for our honeymoon after a safari in South Africa - it looked like perfection....

Pros:
1) This is the most well maintained beautiful property. Everything from the sand to the rooms are spotless. We had a suites on stilts and it was absolutely stunning. Watching the sun go down on your own private verandah that looks over the lagoon is unforgettably special.
2) The spa and the spa staff were wonderful. They instantly knew who I was, remembered me like a friend throughout our stay, and tried to tailor our massages to suit our needs.
3) The beach staff were wonderful. They would run up as soon as you reached the beach, find the most suitable loungers for you, move them towards or away from the sun (however you desired) and bring you water. They would also walk round with fruit skewers, menus, and clean your sunglasses for you. We felt totally pampered on the beach!
4) we enjoyed dinner in the room one night on our verandah. The staff brought everything, plus candles - it was a wonderful setting.
5) wine tasting in the wine cellar was the most perfect end to our stay. We ended up staying 2.5hrs, sampling so much good wine and champagne along with fantastic canapés. The sommelier was so knowledgable and excitable! It's certainly a highlight and a must do.

Cons:
1) There was a lot of confusion at check in regarding when our full board and £100 credit per day kicked in. This was obviously a mix up with the hotel and our travel agent, but we felt we were blamed for the mix up and it was up to us to fix it by calling our rep. And even once it was sorted, the mix up seemed to haunt us throughout every lunch bill. And due to the confusion, we never got a proper introduction and weren't fully explained what was/wasn't included.
2) service was painfully slow at every bar and restaurant. We just couldn't understand why lunch took 2hrs and why a drink by the pool took half an hour. Yes we understand people are on leisure time, but it just became frustrating and we ended up going to lunch an hour before we were hungry. Dinner in our room was somehow more efficient, which doesn't make sense to me.
3) room service staff were willing but not accurate. It took me three attempts to get an ice bucket for a bottle of champagne. I kept receiving ice for drinks (which didn't fit a bottle of bubbly) even though I tried to be so specific on the phone
4) we ordered breakfast room service on our last morning by putting our request on the front door. This then blew off in the night and breakfast didn't arrive. It's not the fault of the staff that they didn't see the request, but on the other hand, why is this their process when these are outside doors? We would have happily called up the night before if we knew it would be a problem.
5) the hotel ran our of salmon for breakfast and soft shell crab for lunch. A 5 star establishment shouldn't run out of what is on the menu and, if they do, should really tell you before you order.
6) I cut my foot badly on the rocks and got stung by a bee on my toe. Each time the staff saw, but didn't think to ask if there was anything they could do
7) staff weren't ready. I went to the gym twice at 0730. The gym was open but no one was there or had turned the air con or fans on - it was really too hot! Also, we went for breakfast at 0800 and 0830 on two occasions. Again, where was the staff to seat us and order tea or coffee? It's not a big thing but for this type of hotel, staff should really be around when a restaurant opens
8) we wanted to try their sister hotel for dinner (we did eventually go to the Deer Hunter and it was lovely, well worth a visit). However no one at our hotel could tell us what sort of cuisine was served for any of the restaurants - very odd and confusing when this is part of the package.

All in all, we really loved Mauritius, and would definitely come back to the island. However we felt the front of house staff were relying a little too much on the property, and the reputation. It was our honeymoon, and sadly this hotel did not live up to our expectations.

Room Tip: The suites on stilts are beautiful. Room 5 was the most private and had a wonderful sunset view
10 Thank S_J282014
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for having spared your time to write about your holidays at Constance Le Prince Maurice Hotel.

I am happy to have met you and wish to thank you for your valuable remarks and we would also like to apologize for the inconveniences you did face during your stay.

We do hope that you will consider coming back for another stay in the near future and will request you to contact me personally so that I may follow-up on your booking and your stay with us.

Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel is set in large tropical grounds and its setting, quality of rooms, intimacy, and serene experience is the strength of this hotel. All facilities are of the highest standard and the balinese style creates a very tropical feel. We had some issues at the hotel, mainly service speed, but management and staff are attentive and put things right and welcome feedback. The constance model is based upon repeat customers. There are few hotels better on this island

Room Tip: Pick ocean suites its worth the extra cost for privacy and experience
1 Thank richardhg
Dear Sir,

First and foremost, I wish to thank you for having chosen to stay in our hotel during your recent visit to Mauritius.

I am very happy to know that you did enjoy your stay and do equally wish to thank you to have brought Management's attention on few issues that you did encounter whilst you were at the hotel.

Mistakes are bound to happen when we are in people business and speaking about any issue relating to your holiday whilst you are still staying with us, can only give us an opportunity to remedy any situation. I am very glad that you did seek Management's intervention and it has been our utmost pleasure to assist. We would again like to thank you for your valuable remarks.

I do wish to welcome you again in the near future for another holiday and shall be most delighted to assist you personally in finalising your holiday booking at 'Constance Le Prince Maurice' hotel.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was treated to a birthday holiday by my wife at this lovely hotel which simply takes your breath away when you arrive. We were there in the middle of April 2014.

Transfer from the airport to the hotel was in a luxury BMW but was an additional charge. Our tariff was "Half Board" and included both breakfast and dinner, some items on the dinner menu were an extra charge but the daily menu and the other items on the a la Carte menu were suffiucient for us. There are three resaurants to choose from, L’Archipel is the main restaurant (no need to book), Le Barachois - the floating restaurant, booking required and the Asian Restaurant - booking required. Entertainment by a small band was enjoyed after dinner.

When we arrived at our room, a bottle of lovely wine and a small cake were compliments of the hotel. The suite included a large bathroom (bath, shower, loo, twin basins and wardrobe), king-size bed and was air-conditioned, east chairs and a balcony with table and chairs. It was very comfortable. Our room was a garden suite and had views of the beach. In addition to the main pool in the hotel building, we had access to another lovely pool a short walk from our room. Towels and drinking water were supplied when we went to the beach.

We were treated like royalty by the staff. Although we do no speak French, speaking English was not an issue. I could not recommend this hotel more highly and would go back if I could.

Room Tip: I don't recommend the more expensive Villas in the South side of the peninsula, although they ar...
3 Thank K3vinF
Dear Sir,

I am very happy indeed to know that you did enjoy your birthday gift of this holiday break at Constance Le Prince Maurice as arranged by your wife to celebrate your birthday.

Happy to see that besides the birthday arrangements, you did equally enjoy the hotel's facilities and that you were well looked after by our team.

I shall be honoured to welcome you again for another memorable stay in the near future.

Once again, I would like to convey my best wishes to you for a very happy birthday.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at Le Prince just after Easter. We arrived on the early morning flight and despite feeling travel sick, were bowled over as soon as we went through the gates, down the long drive through tropical gardens, passed the heliport and then ... entered reception: wow! The hotel and its setting are simply beautiful. We continued to feel that way after we recovered from the journey and explored the grounds. Loved the walkway to the floating bar and restaurant from which many tropical fish can be spotted, including a lion fish and patterned eel. The opposite side, towards the ocean, boasts sweeping views across the bay, and the beach side has the lagoon and mangroves at one end and the ocean - from which a constant roar of waves crashing onto the reef could be heard - on the other.
Our room was a junior suite, the cheapest category, as the beach suites were all busy (we booked quite late) and I wasn't sure about the stilted lagoon suites.
It was a downstairs terraced one - no 58 - which was quite dark or nice and shady, with just a few steps to the sea and the gorgeous lap pool. A perfect location. We enjoyed our room, which had a quite firm but comfortable large bed, and a huge bathroom. The air con worked perfectly - inc in the bathroom - though we would have preferred a ceiling fan for when we had the doors open. I requested one to be brought which arrived quickly, plus an extension lead so that we could use it on our terrace too. Apart from the 2 doors, the windows didn't open, inc the one behind the deep bath tub. WiFi worked well and there was a computer to allow you to access the internet via your TV with a keyboard provided (I misread somewhere that mini iPads were provided and left mine at home which was a mistake).
WiFi was also decent in the pool bar.
The service was amazing - the friendliest and best 'room boy' we ever accounted (thank you, Sameer!), excellent service at the beach too in terms of setting up beds etc, and I was very well looked after when I had stomach problems and needed to see the doctor. It's the kind of hotel which bakes you fresh crackers every day when you enquire where you could buy some :)
The service at the pool and floating bars were great too. And we enjoyed the views. The floating restaurant produces great food (unfortunately I was on boiled rice but my husband enjoyed his very much), though for us the motion created by people walking on and off was not something we enjoyed as we suffer from motion sickness so we didn't return.
The main restaurant produced consistently high quality food, even though after a few days the vegetarian options were somewhat limited and often appeared to be aimed at dieting healthy eaters, lacking entirely in protein / carbs.
I did speak to the chef and was able to order off menu.
The Asian restaurant was not to our taste ... most of the food is served cold, some of it raw / marinated, including my veggie spring roll and main dish - cold noodles. I was really disappointed at that as I had given 24 hour notice (being vegetarian) and requested something special as there were no main vegetarian courses on the menu, and expected a crispy tofu dish. The service was also excruciatingly slow, 1 hour till starters, with only a small aperitif which we didn't like to keep us going, so by the time the cold noodles were served, we walked away and ate in the main restaurant instead. I think they should have told us what to expect ... Saying that, sushi lovers will probably have a great time.
The service in the main restaurant was hit and miss: Sometimes it was excellent but many times drinks would arrive when we were getting our main course, so that we adapted what we selected, hoping it might be quicker (eg foregoing fresh fruit cocktails for Sprite or Orangina not something I'd normally drink). Oh, and we were never offered ice, always had to remember to request it ...
We viewed a lagoon villa on stilts with a view to moving there but decided it was not for us as the decking and part of the villa was sunny - perfect for sun worshippers though! I did like the villa other than that, though note it is not private, with everyone's decking open both sides (no screens) and even part of the rooms open to your neighbours' views (though there are blinds). The setting is lovely though and much quieter than ours. We could hear people above when they moved a chair etc and of course right and left when sitting on our terrace. Sometimes it was extremely peaceful, other times like being in a Kindergarten. Walking to pre-dinner drinks you could hear one crying baby after another in the adjoining suites ...
Talking about other guests, by far the largest group were French during our 11-night stay, and then a real mix from all over (Russian, Chinese, German, Italian etc). Half the guests were families, ranging from couple with baby to large family groups. The kids club was not well used despite of that, and the children were generally very well behaved. But of course kids' voices can be rather loud particularly when playing.
I did enjoy the spa, though more specifically the treatments and treatment rooms; not the relaxation area which was a breeze less sunny courtyard where you were expected to sit with a thick bathrobe ... This needs sorting, either with fans or architectural changes, or both. I was also disappointed in the service - at other spas you are greeted with a cold flannel and some delicious drink, and afterwards again offered a lovely drink. I was given a tepid glass of water ... there was also a jug of juice standing about but as that looked warm I asked for water.
The shops were nice and stocked essentials but would have liked the opportunity to purchase some of the beautiful items the hotel provided / used.
My husband also enjoyed the pitch & putt, and despite our intentions we didn't use the complimentary bikes, or exercise classes (some on the beach).
The water was warm and there is a fairly large bit cordoned off for swimming (occasionally shared with locals fishing), to ensure no collisions with boats etc. There is nothing to see in terms of fish, so don't bother bringing snorkelling gear. The boat house rents these out if needed during trips, and also provides jelly shoes - it is not advisable to wade into sea without - I always made sure I was swimming as quickly as I could and didn't go in at low tide when you could have walked to the reef edge (but not allowed as way beyond the cordon). My husband got two cuts on his feet, luckily minor and didn't get infected.
Note that the grounds are also frequented by at least 4 dogs which tend to go round in packs ... seemed harmless and there were of course some guests feeding them.
We did use the complimentary glass bottom boat and snorkelling trips (which run daily) which were pleasant with friendly staff.
Note that only hotel approved taxis are allowed on the grounds - so a taxi, return, to Port Louis (50 mins) or Pamplemousse Gardens (45 mins) is c £60 including waiting time. The airport transfer took 50 mins on the way back in the early hours (5am, grrrr) and disappointingly the promised take away breakfast never materialised (we waited 10 mins for our suitcases to be collected by golf buggy to our taxi, and there was no staff to be seen). So, not a perfect goodbye.
In summary, we had a lovely relaxing time, and were very sad to leave, and would recommend this beautiful hotel - despite some minor service issues.

Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you to have spared your time in writing such a long review about your holiday experience at Constance Le Prince Maurice.

I am very happy indeed to see that you kept good souvenirs of the moment spent with us despite the few issues you mentioned.

At Constance Le Prince Maurice we strive to keep a very high standard of service and I wish to thank you for your valuable remarks which will no doubt help us in bringing better service delivery.

I do hope to have the honour of welcoming you back in the near future and would request you to contact me so that I may personally follow-up with your holiday arrangements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pointe de Flacq
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
Shanti Maurice - A Nira Resort

Been to Constance Le Prince Maurice? Share your experiences!