“Awesome place - Restaurant service just needs improving”

Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in El Jadida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had an amazing time at the resort. I would go again and have already recommended to friends. It's a real gem of a resort. The Gym & Spa, Pool, Beach, Rooms, Food, Leisure Facilities all exceeded my expectations. My only feedback would be that the service in the Restaurants did not get anywhere near my expectations. Tables were never set correctly, Coffee never delivered in a timely manner, charged for things we hadn't had, Desserts never provided. Prosecco delivered instead of Champagne. I don't think any of it was malicious its just the servers aren't up to the job. A bit of basic English wouldn't go amiss amongst the staff even with my broken French I struggled. Having said that it was always dealt with effectively by management and it certainly didn't ruin my stay. I will return and hopefully Service will have improved particularly in Olives Restaurant

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony to enjoy the evenings whilst changing for dinner. Pool room worked for...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mark b

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My lovely Mrs booked this break for my birthday... It didn't disappoint! We had visited this hotel a few months earlier for lunch.. whilst on a cruise ship.. So we knew what to expect... Put simply, this hotel is first class... If you read any complaints about this hotel.. I would say those people are very hard to please.. We went to this hotel on a package holiday.. We came into Rabat airport.. At least 2 1/2 hours away.. A long trek.. But well worth it... Everything at the hotel is of a very high standard, be it the food, the drink or the staff hospitality, which was second to none! The room with a pool view was of a very high standard! Very clean.. I cant find anything to moan about... We used the equestrian centre and a special thank you goes out to Sara and Rashid who were very helpful and professional! My partner used the gym a lot... She praised the staff there.. Always helpful! The spa was also excellent! There is a large casino at the hotel, which I didn't use... Likewise a golf course... I am told the golf course is very good! I was never fond of the idea of Morocco.. I went there by chance in the first place.. It was a real eye opener... I liked this hotel so much... I have just Re booked it, and I can't wait!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank larnick25
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked this as a budget break via Fleetway with my daughter prior to our main holidays later in the year and that is pretty much what it was. I would class this as more a 3+* than 5*. The rooms though were of a good quality (although having emailed prior to arrival to ask for a non-smoking room and higher level was issued a ground floor!- the check in guy was not interested stating they were at full occupancy - they were actually as it soon became apparent about 1/3 full! - however luckily there was a manager nearby who reallocated us a room on the 3rd floor with a partial sea view). The staff were hit and miss mostly miss! The food is abysmal - one night my daughter had a roll and butter for dinner and I had 3 pieces of grilled chicken on a skewer with a spoonful of rice! They ran out of most food by 9.30 pm and the selection was not the most appealing! The leaflet issued stated that buffet food would be available from 2 restaurants but only one was open and of the 4 nights we were able to eat they served the same menu 3 nights - very boring! - When querying why only one buffet restaurant was open we were told that it was dependant on occupancy (thought they were full!!!) We were told that we could eat at the al a carte restaurants but at approx £3 a coke I dread to think of the cost of a meal in the other restaurants! We visited end June/beg of July and the weather was fabulous, the pool area was pretty much empty each day so we had our choice of beds. The sea was far too cold to swim but the pool was fine. We flew in to Rabat which was a 2 hour trip (2 and half on the return trip as the driver seemed to want to take the long route!!) - if you are able to fly to Casablanca I would suggest this is the best option. We took the free courtesy bus into Casablanca to the Mall which was impressive - however 6 hours was rather a long time to shop and there is nothing else local to do (we tried the "beach" but did not get a very friendly vibe! and although we were the only 2 on the minibus the driver was not open to wanting to return early to collect us! We had a 2 for 1 spa treatment which was very good. All in all we had a relaxing, cheapish holiday, but don't expect 5*

Room Tip: We were given a room on the 3rd floor over looking the spa/golf club, partial sea view which was ver...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Holidayladybug
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from a fortnight at Mazagan and had a virtually faultless stay. Staff were lovely and helpful, language was largely not a problem. Husband and I really enjoyed use of the spa, golf, biking group, beach and pool. Food was of an excellent quality and just enough variety for two weeks - pizza, pasta, meat grill, salads, cheeses, sushi, Indian, Chinese, roast meat, ice cream, chocolate fountain, fresh fruit and the list goes on. Our room was well appointed, tea and coffee making facilities and reasonable choice of TV channels.

We stayed half board on the fleetway package. We don't drink much and with the big breakfasts (pancakes, donuts, cereals, yoghurts, fruit, breads, cheeses etc.) didn't need lunch every day but as drinks can be pricey (£4 big bottle of water, similar for coke, £8 for non alcoholic cocktails) those who enjoy a drink might get better value full board. We had lunch at the beach BBQ a few times, they do a lovely little lunch deal for those a bit peckish.

Niggles - a couple of things could make the stay even better. We flew to Rabat and had to endure a 2.5-3 hour transfer as the drivers have to drive pretty slow. Water and comfort wipes were provided but this was very difficult for fellow travellers with little kids. We arrived after midnight thanks to Ryanair delays but check in was speedy and we were given a box each of sandwich, drink, fruit, pastries which was much appreciated. Casablanca airport is 1.5-2 hours away I believe and so would have been better had we had a choice. I also can't understand why soft drinks are not chilled in the marketplace restaurant. In the summer heat and paying £4 for a big bottle of water I couldn't understand why it was served warm and each night asked them to get a chilled bottle from the bar. Not a big deal but tiny thing that would be an improvement. Cleaning of the room was good but could have been better - they didn't always replenish toiletries, tissues etc. but were nice when promoted. Tiny things that don't make for a true 5 star experience.

Lovely stay, fantastic value via fleetway. Most relaxing holiday in the sun.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna J
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just back from a week spent at this fantastic resort. This beautifully laid out hotel provided a week of relaxation, luxury, excellent service and some of the best hotel food we have ever come across in our extensive travels.

Our pool view room was spacious and well equipped. Hair dryer, kettle, tea/coffee facilities, plenty of hanging and drawer space, mini bar (didn't use it) and safe. Bathroom was large and had a bath and shower, hotel toiletries were good quality and plentiful. The air conditioning was efficient and quiet. Housekeeping was excellent and the room cleaned and made up early (usually whilst we were at breakfast). The two complimentary bottles of water each day were a nice touch.

We were half board so breakfast was in Olives Restaurant and evening meal in the Market Place. The breakfast buffet was simply superb. Whether you favour just eggs, the full cooked English, continental, healthy option or a pile of chocolate covered pancakes and a plate of miniture Danish pastries/croissants everything here is fresh and plentiful. Fresh Fruit was wonderful, yoghurts (5 or more flavours) always kept cold and any type of tea and coffee on request. No one could possibly leave the breakfast table hungry here.

Similarly, the evening buffet was of a very high standard. Local meze style salads, olives, and dips, homemade breads, cheese, 30 or more different salads suitable for meat eaters and vegetarians. A sushi bar of freshly prepared sushi, a pizza station (kids can make their own), then a range of international foods including Moroccan dishes, Asian, Indian, oriental, French, Italian, some pre cooked and others cooked to order. Such a huge variety of quality ingredients catering for all tastes and diets. Desserts were beautifully made and tasted fantastic, too many to mention except possibly the best tasting icecream outside of Italy and the Chocolate fountain with little macaroons to die for. The food here is really first class and if you are half board there is no need to pay extra to eat in any of the other restaurants.

We did have lunch in the BBQ restaurant, Chiringuito beach bar and the Oasis Pool bar and they were all good (if a little pricey).

Drinks here are expensive, it's a 5* hotel and it's how they keep the rif raf out. However, there is Happy Hour in the Atrium Bar from 6pm to 8pm, drinks are served with olives, nuts and a smile and the spirit measures are bigger than at home. If you are a big drinker of either alcohol or canned sodas you may find going all inclusive a cheaper option in the long run.

This hotel is a place where you can do as much or as little as you like. There are plenty of sun beds, cabanas, bean bags and hammocks around the main pool. Super efficient pool boys set out your towels, put up your sun umbrellas and keep the poolside clean and dry. There are lots of lifeguards, the pool is clean and beautiful to laze around and swim in. The children's pool looked great when we walked past and had some fun slides and a kiddies play park nearby.

Other free facilities include the very well equipped gym, the hamman, archery (great fun), organised running, jogging, tonic walking, biking, Nordic walking and Pilates/yoga classes. The nightclub and casino are also free to guests. In addition there are other facilities you can pay extra for including, horse riding (highly recommended), surfing, dune buggies, golf and the fabulous spa. Other guests with children that we met spoke highly of the baby club and kids club.

Whilst we were there the service was very good all round, staff are efficient and friendly and everyone from gardeners to Managers wish you "bonjour" when they pass you. We could not fault this place and wouldn't hesitate to return.

The architecture, food, service and staff made sure we had a first class holiday. Thank you Mazagan!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nikki K
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights whilst my husband was on business. Room was nice complex nice and clean.
Food was hit and miss market restaurant was hit and miss with food. The waiters in there was leering at young girls which I thought was unprofessional and rude! If I saw this happen again I was going to report them as I didn't like it and thought they wee being disrespectful!
The serve in there they tired to take away plates before you had finished your food and took our water away as they thought we had left we only went to get a main meal. We had to ask for it back.
Breakfast at the olive restaurant good choice but rubbish serve asked for a coffee 15 mins later still not arrived had to ask again and it was only at 07.20am not a busy period.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just spent 7 days at Mazagan Beach Resort and it was amazing....
We were full board and there was a good variety of food at each meal and loads of it.
Staff were very helpful and very willing to please.
The drive from Rabat to the hotel seemed never-ending, but we were supplied with water and a sealed moist flannel to freshen up with and once we walked into the hotel surroundings the trip was quickly forgotten.
We arrived at hotel at midnight and were given a bag with toasted sandwich,pastry drink and fruit.
We were also given a list of all activities that were available.
Help with our luggage was available if we wanted it.

Resort is in the middle of no where but with so much to do you do not need to leave resort.

Downside...
We were full board but felt cheated that we were not entitled to lunch on our last day..so we only had 6 lunches in total. When we challenged this we were told that check out is at 12 midday so therefore as lunch starts at 12 midday we were not entitled to it unless we paid. Which we did because our flight was not until 7.45 pm.

Overall all was perfect and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: 3223 perfect overlooking pool area and on same level as reception.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple