“Poor Service”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in El Jadida
Hockley Heath, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Stayed here for 10 days booked direct which all went well. Arrived late afternoon no one to take our bags trotted through to reception very busy took over 20 mins to be seen, rooms were not ready took over an hour to get our two interconnecting rooms. Our smoke alarm went off for no reason in a room at 2.30am thankfully not the childrens, they took the unit away promising to replace the next wasnt there when we left room 2207 if you get it! Saw the reception manager the next day, they just dont get customer service food is average with little choice not the 10 restaraunts advertised! Just swerve it not worth the drive from the airport we go away 4 times a year this hotel will not be on the revisit list!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Darren042
MazaganBeachResort, General Manager at Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear Darren 042,
Thank you for your post and your comments.
I'm sorry to hear that your rooms were not ready at your time of check in. At the time of your stay, we were in the middle of the high season with a full hotel. It can be difficult at times to ask our guests to free their rooms at the day of their check out so we can prepare it for the next customer. This might have depayed your chek in.
As for the restaurants, our web site advertise 7 restaurants and 2 bars with light food and snacks menus as well as a night club. We are working with the best food suppliers in Morocco and have chefs from around the world as well as Morocco, to offer the best to our customers. It is unfortunate that the food was not to your taste.
Again thank you for your useful feedback.
Frédéric Picard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2010

The hotel, bedrooms and location are lovely. The downside is the logistics of running a large resort with regards to food and drink. The staff have little to zero understanding of english, so ordering is challenging. The cleanliness of tables, crockery and cutlery was awful and we suffered illness as a result

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
MazaganBeachResort, General Manager at Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 10 September 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your post.
I'm sorry to hear that you felt unwell because of some food served in our restaurants. However, allow me to assure you that we are following international standards as far as hygiene is concerned. An outside company is conducting tests on a regular basis, randomly, in all our restaurants, on the food served to our guests. Thus I would be interested in having your feedback regarding your ilness as we need to know if a defect occurs in the tests process.
As far as english language is concerned, some extensive courses sessions have started months ago, and we've already seen a great imrpovement.
Shall you wish to contact me, please feel free. I would be glad to know more about your stay.
Best regards
Frédéric Picard, General Manager
United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

It's still relatively new (under a year) and the staff and processes are still, in the main, bedding down. The prices aren't bedding down though so expect some shocks. It can be eye-bleedingly expensive for the quality of destination! Facilities are five star but the rest is aspirational. Service standards are pretty shocking (at best) to jaw-droppingly awful (at worst). Examples of this are documented by other contributors. In brief, you'll have a good time if you don't need to use the services. The staff are willing and generally friendly and helpful. However, there are hints of poor attitude at reception, concierge and guest services. This place can only improve if management can get a grip on all the glaring deficiencies.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PBCinEngland
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. Your opininon is very valuable to me.
As you probably noticed, I am striving to improve the quality of service as I can't be satisfied with negative comments.
Kindly feel free to contact me shall you want to discuss your experience at the Mazagan Beach Resort.
Kind regards,
Frédéric Picard, General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We arrived at 7pm, it took us two hours to check in! A lot of paper work and administrative checks. It was just unbelievable. Extremely slow and helpless. We've booked by phone to make sure we have two inter-connecting rooms as our two kids are 6 and 8. This has been confirmed to us by phone, but to our surprise, these were not available at the check in time. We've been promised to relocate to other rooms the next day, but it took us two more hours to do that. The system had inaccurate data showing inter-connecting rooms that aren't when we checked physically. Just embarrassing for a five star hotel...
On a separate topic, if you call for any service, make sure you keep note of the person you've spoken to. Because 95% of the times, you will be speaking to some kind of call centre and anything that get promised to you wouldn't be delivered: restaurant menus, mini bar, laundry, house keeping, restaurant reservations...
Now if you have money to spend, the casino is here for you. It seems like the only aim of this beech resort is the casino. So unless if you are addicted, pass on this one.
We decided to shorten our stay to two nights only, we couldn't relax in here, too stressful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your post and sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.
We advertise as being a resort and the casino is part of the resort. It is up to anyone to go or not in the casino and we are aiming at getting every of our guest entertained.
We have numbers of activities (land and sea) for family, a spa and kids club for all ages to enjoy, apart from the casino.
As for the responsiveness of our staff and our call centre, all requests are centralised and orders dispatched to all services through a sophiticated software which I can say is very reliable and efficient. To date we received few remarks of missed requests. Thank you for raising that point.
Last but not least, I understand that all the paperwork to fill upon check in is not always pleasant after a long trip but it is necessary and needed.
I hope my reply is helpful and objective.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Beautiful hotel but very expensive. Limited choice of restaurants at night suitable for kids.
Lots of beach activities if you are prepared to pay for them.
Staff very pleasant though.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Trespa
Essex
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Hi, Just back from three nights at the Mazagan Beach Resort. A beautiful resort that is stunning from the first approach along the long palm-tree lined private driveway/road. This is a resort where everything is done on a large-scale! The pool, the hotel, the lobby, the choice at breakfast, the restaurants, the kids club ... all designed with impeccable taste and to create a relaxing environment. The hotel is full of Moroccan arts and crafts which I continually admired and went shopping for in Casablanca upon return. Only an hour out of Casa it provides a welcome break from the hubbub of the city. Contrary to some other reviews the beach was very clean but it is the Atlantic so the sea has a mighty chill. We also visited El Jadida and some other towns nearby in the evening rather than staying for dinner in the hotel but lunch and breakfast were great! I would recommend and will return!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Stayed at this hotel from 6/6/2010 to 11/6/2010. It is a stunning hotel but located in the middle of nowhere. It is a large hotel so if you have trouble walking it may not suit you. The beach is huge and clean but the sea is the Atlantic and it is very COLD, and also the sea is not calm and the water is not clear like it is in Dubai or the Maldives. Only very good swimmers could swim in this sea and Lifeguards were not on duty sometimes when I walked along the beach.
The rooms are well decorated and the beds are great but the balconies are way too small. My shower cubicle had a really slow moving drain and it was fixed on the 2nd attempt 3 days into my stay. The Sony Flat screen LCD TV in the room offered internet access on it but I could not get it to work and the hotel staff did not know how it worked either. The only English speaking channel I could find was CNN and BBC News. The minibar is well stocked but at nearly £4 for a can of coke it is not cheap and the price of alcohol is also very steep. I ate at the Marketplace restaurant, Olives restaurant and the Oasis snack bar by the swimming pool. The food was excellent but the prices were Sky high and I spent quite a bit of money at Oasis for food and drinks (Almost £9 for a 9" Margherita Pizza). The speed of service at Oasis was very slow and I had to chase up my orders with the staff some of whom spoke very basic english and as I only speak very basic tourist french this was a problem when I asked them to explain some of the items on the Menu. On one occaision on 8/6/10 I saw a waiter drop glasses around the pool area and the clean up of the broken glass was not as thorough as I would have expected. This also surprised me as throughout my stay I only ever got high quality plastic glasses from the Oasis pool bar. You have no option but to eat at the hotel as there are no alternatives in the local area around the hotel.

The swimming pool is not as big as it looks on the hotel website but it is beautiful & I believe heated but also not very deep so you cannot dive into it.
I took a trip into the local town of El Jadida but it was really a waste of half a day, not really anything special to see and the bazaar is crowded and dirty.
The Casino is of a good standard if that's your thing, and the Sanctuary nightclub could do with better music and a bigger area for people to sit down when they are not dancing but was more than fit for purpose.
The shops in the hotel are all more expensive than equivalent shops in the UK.
On one day during my stay it rained and the open walkways around the hotel became very slippery when there was water on the polished marble floors though the hotel did highlight these dangers.
At Night it does get cold with the cold air coming in off the Atlantic, it was actually warmer in London at Night and this was June in Morocco! Even during the day when it was cloudy one day there was a very cool breeze coming in off the Atlantic and the heated pool was brilliant.
On checking out there were some items on the bill that were not mine, and on asking the hotel to provide the receipts where I supposedly signed for these items the hotel removed these items. I paid cash for all the food and drink I ordered all week.

A positive aspect of this hotel is the level of security in the hotel, there are security guards dotted all over the hotel, especially near all the lifts and the intersection of walkways.

This is a stunning hotel made by Sol Kerzner (Owner of the Atlantis Dubai, Sun City South Africa and the one and only group of hotels) but in my opinion it is in the wrong location, the inexperienced staff let it down, it is too expensive for a Morocco hotel.

For the kind of money it would cost you to stay at the Mazagan especially when taking into account the cost of food and drink, you could easily stay at a top 5 Star Jumeirah beach hotel (such as Mina A Salam, Jumeirah Beach hotel or the Royal Meridien) or a top hotel in Malaysia or the Maldives.

For this reason it is highly unlikely that I would return back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Dear Doctor 71,
Thank you very much for your post and positive feedbacks on our facilities and service.
Indeed we are way different from a hotel in Dubai or Maldives: the Moroccan Atlantic coast is way "wilder" and the climate probably very different as well. It is a matter of taste, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy much the location of the Mazagan Beach Resort.
As well, your remarks on the price policy has been adressed. However, allow me to let you know that we are in line with the Moroccan market in our category of hotel and with our level of service.
Thank you again for you time and comments.