Life is full of interesting twists and turns. Entering the Magazan Beach Hotel you drive through Morocco’s biggest car park (mostly empty) and a lunar landscape; even the taxi struggled to find the entrance.
On entering the hotel building it is obvious that it has been designed and built to a very high specification. Large entrance lobbies and a wide choice of bars and restaurants (although mostly not open during our stay). The check in process was OK’ish, our room prepared and luggage delivered quickly.
The room was smart, clean, and spacious with great views of the large gardens although the balcony turned out to be 12 inches deep. Nice toiletries and mini-bar although once used glasses were never replenished in 8 days. Nice touches such as chocolates on New Year’s Eve would have been nicer if the cleaning staff hadn’t eaten them. Cleaning of the room was erratic in quality and timing.
Room Service, in this 5* Moroccan hotel, is the world’s largest oxymoron i.e. non-existent. Coffee, by eaxample sometimes delivered as soon as 40 minutes, would generally be missing things such as milk which when corrected (another 40 minute wait) attracted a second delivery charge. Similar poor service levels in the bars.
The Hotel complex is situated 11km from El Jadida (don’t venture there), 4 km Azenmour (quite cute) and 2 hours from Casablanca. Taxis are very expensive, very old and felt very unsafe in both driving standards and no seat belts. When booked from the hotel cost £11 for a six minute ride (£22 if you use the hotel car). Overall this hotel was too remote from anywhere of interest to visit. On an 8 night stay we felt imprisoned.
As part of our ‘package’ we dinned primarily in the Market Garden or Oasis Buffet restaurants. Service reached plummeting lows never paralleled in my life time. Simple requests for Tea or Coffee had to be made up to six times and had to corrected. Dirty crockery was not always removed after courses finished. Food was mostly OK with a wide choice, mostly warm and assisted by attentive buffet staff. At £30 per head per night was reasonable value had the service been good. Wine was about £24 per bottle for an OK Moroccan wine. Escalations to Management were met with no real response and certainly no action.
The facility for drinks was mostly in a soulless bar full of smoke with poor service. To get an afternoon drink we were sent all around the hotel and after 3 attempts had to enter the casino to get a glass of wine. The price of drinks in the hotel was parallel with a London based hotel such as the Ritz (although in the Ritz it feels value). A 330ml bottle of beer was £6 plus and a glass of champagne was over £18. A bottle of Champagne (retail UK £28) was £145.
The gardens and pool complex was pleasant and well maintained. Whilst the hotel was mostly well maintained and cleaned the golf complex had toilets that left much to be desired.
To ensure the end of the holiday maintained the same low service standards the checkout process took 65 minutes.
In summary unless you want to gamble in the Casino in nice surroundings and don’t care about value or service this hotel is best to be avoided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mazagan Beach Resort is a magical destination combining relaxation, leisure and sports through its infrastructures: Golf, Spa, Casino, Kids Club, restaurants. All the amenities are built to facilitate the stay. The hotel is set in 250 hectares of landscape with a private beach of 7km and features a 180° view over the Atlantic Ocean, a very good recommendation for families (special offers for children rooms), couples & singles. The design of the 500 luxurious and spacious rooms (42 m2), the flavours of Moroccan gastronomy and the Spa ensure you an authentic memorable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Prestigia, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mazagan Beach Hotel El Jadida
- Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort Morocco/El Jadida