“Dont Do It!”

Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in El Jadida
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Life is full of interesting twists and turns. Entering the Magazan Beach Hotel you drive through Morocco’s biggest car park (mostly empty) and a lunar landscape; even the taxi struggled to find the entrance.

On entering the hotel building it is obvious that it has been designed and built to a very high specification. Large entrance lobbies and a wide choice of bars and restaurants (although mostly not open during our stay). The check in process was OK’ish, our room prepared and luggage delivered quickly.

The room was smart, clean, and spacious with great views of the large gardens although the balcony turned out to be 12 inches deep. Nice toiletries and mini-bar although once used glasses were never replenished in 8 days. Nice touches such as chocolates on New Year’s Eve would have been nicer if the cleaning staff hadn’t eaten them. Cleaning of the room was erratic in quality and timing.
Room Service, in this 5* Moroccan hotel, is the world’s largest oxymoron i.e. non-existent. Coffee, by eaxample sometimes delivered as soon as 40 minutes, would generally be missing things such as milk which when corrected (another 40 minute wait) attracted a second delivery charge. Similar poor service levels in the bars.

The Hotel complex is situated 11km from El Jadida (don’t venture there), 4 km Azenmour (quite cute) and 2 hours from Casablanca. Taxis are very expensive, very old and felt very unsafe in both driving standards and no seat belts. When booked from the hotel cost £11 for a six minute ride (£22 if you use the hotel car). Overall this hotel was too remote from anywhere of interest to visit. On an 8 night stay we felt imprisoned.

As part of our ‘package’ we dinned primarily in the Market Garden or Oasis Buffet restaurants. Service reached plummeting lows never paralleled in my life time. Simple requests for Tea or Coffee had to be made up to six times and had to corrected. Dirty crockery was not always removed after courses finished. Food was mostly OK with a wide choice, mostly warm and assisted by attentive buffet staff. At £30 per head per night was reasonable value had the service been good. Wine was about £24 per bottle for an OK Moroccan wine. Escalations to Management were met with no real response and certainly no action.

The facility for drinks was mostly in a soulless bar full of smoke with poor service. To get an afternoon drink we were sent all around the hotel and after 3 attempts had to enter the casino to get a glass of wine. The price of drinks in the hotel was parallel with a London based hotel such as the Ritz (although in the Ritz it feels value). A 330ml bottle of beer was £6 plus and a glass of champagne was over £18. A bottle of Champagne (retail UK £28) was £145.

The gardens and pool complex was pleasant and well maintained. Whilst the hotel was mostly well maintained and cleaned the golf complex had toilets that left much to be desired.

To ensure the end of the holiday maintained the same low service standards the checkout process took 65 minutes.

In summary unless you want to gamble in the Casino in nice surroundings and don’t care about value or service this hotel is best to be avoided.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert K

Reviewed 7 January 2011

Returned to Mazagan Beach Resort for the end of 2010, following a previous stay last july, and the Magic still operates !!

The resort is still astounding with great facilities and mainly pretty good service from the Staff in all departements and specially again at the Kids & Youngsters Clubs.
Weather for this time of the year was great and the heated pools (good thing !) in the resort allowed us to take many swims in them and really relax, even when it was a little frisky at the end of day.
The Golf Club and particularly the SPA facilities are just Exceptionals, and play a great role in the reasons for coming again and again to Mazagan Beach Resort.
The Food quality & freshness was great as usual here and Service in the restaurants has greatly impoved since our last visit, as it was one of the flaws we experienced last time we where there... but it seems a lot of paying efforts have been done on that side.

We had one of the greatest New Year's Eve ever !! with Dinner & Show meal (Arabic Belly dancers) at Morjanna's (excellent Moroccan's specialty dishes) on the premises... and then went, for New year's celebration, to one of the greatest Night Club I know, Sanctuary, wich is situated inside the Casino...
We finished our night out and began greatly this New year 2011 at 3:00 AM, by playing a little the slots machines in the Casino and we WON !!!

Great Service, Great Food & Restaurants, Great Golf & SPA, One the Best Resort for Families with young adults....
Will definitely be back again soon and I Wish you all a Happy New Year 2011 !!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Our arrival transfer forgot to collect us at midnight (!!!!) and with 3 boys aged 7, 11 and 12 - things were not off to a good start. However, on arrival and beyond the hotel could not have been more apologetic and our trip turned from a nightmare (where we just wanted to turn around and go back home) into a dream trip. We have visited many 5 star family resorts principally over Europe over some 10+ years and are always searching for the perfect family resort - and this runs as close to that as we have yet to experience (praise indeed, believe me!). The boys are mad golfers and the golf facilities here are near perfect; we also appreciated no charge, at any time, for range balls which made a huge difference to our stay as the boys enjoyed their independence (its very safe here) and so they spent hours there just having fun. However, its the staff that have made this trip so incredibly enjoyable, nearing and often excelling the levels of service experienced in the USA. Seems bizarre for Morroco perhaps, but thats been our experience.

The kids clubs (both for the younger and the older ones) are superbly equip and have been exemplary as have their staff, learning to speak quickly with them and addressing them by their names. There is also SO MUCH for them to do - much more than the usual stuff and the (private) beach and watersports are the best I've ever seen anywhere.

Overall a massive thumbs up - for families with kids - give it a go - you wont find much better anywhere. Take it from me - I've tried!! The only negative we found was that there was occsionally a language barrier (we dont speak french or arabic!) and occasionally the restaurant service was in need of some attention - but you cant have it all I suppose.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank andrew3566
Reviewed 1 November 2010

To start, the positives:

- beautiful hotel and grounds
- amazing, expansive, wild beach
- fantastic kids and baby clubs
- friendly, lovely staff
- professional casino
- interesting activities

The negatives:
- erratic service
- inconsistent pricing
- lack of options for children's dinner (i.e., between 5-7pm)

On the whole, this is a great hotel, and I would easily recommend it to families with young children (esp. those with babies, as the baby club is fantastic). On the flip side, I understand where a lot of the reviewers are coming from when they complain about the service and the prices. I really think the hotel needs to review its pricing model (or perhaps re-read some economics textbooks on elasticity and substitutability of goods). The offering during the day is quite pricey, annoyingly so. The offering in the evening is reasonable (for an upscale resort). A bottle of Casablanca is only marginally cheaper than a half bottle of Volubilia (to be honest, pricing for alcohol is very strange, and while I recognize that taxes play a part, I think the high costs really take away from the relaxation aspect. There are plenty of times when I balked at paying for one bottle of beer at £7 when I would have gladly drunk two bottles if they had been slightly less expensive.

Service is also a bit erratic. Staff are very friendly and fantastic with kids, but a bit slow at times to bring dinner or arrange leisure activities. Mild nuisance but not that different than other places I have stayed.

Overall, though, I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Townsend L
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We are currently staying at Mazagan bach resort. We have been here for 3 days now and have 5 days remaining. First off I'd like to say Mazagan is a lovely hotel with masses of potential. We arrived to a very efficient and friendly check in at hotel and were in our interconnecting rooms within 20 minutes. We requested more hangers and a dvd player which were delivered to our rooms promptly. So for us service is not a problem. The kids club is fantastic, our childen enjoy going there and its staff are brilliant. we cant fault it, Also the pool lifeguards are very attentive and look after the kids very well. However there is one huge problem, the quality and value of the food, the lack of suffient kids menus and the enormous drinks prices. A can of coke costs £5, a pint of beer costs £14 and the cost for the buffet for childen is £29 and this doesnt even include a drink!!!! There is a bar that has a happy hour however the bar staff seem reluctant to promote it and dont even know how to make any cocktails. We wouldnt mind paying some of the unjustified high food costs if the quality of food was that of a 5 star hotel but so far we've had overcooked prawns and seabass at the speciality seafood restaurant and burnt steak which was requested as rare in the grill restaurant. The steak was sent back and amazingly the same piece of steak was sent back cooked even more!!!
On previous trip advisor reviews I notice that Frederic Picard sends a reply to previous guests asking them to ccontact him to resolve their issues. I challenge Monsieur Picard to contact me before we leave to resolve our issues . We are the PATEL family with 4 adults and 3 children so we cant be that hard to locate. So far we are on day 3 and between the 7 of us we have spent £1600. The high costs of food and beverage in this hotel is ruining our holiday slightly as we are constantly looking at prices before we order anything and this shouldnt be the case on a holiday.
Should Monsieur Picard not contact me I will assume that he just sends out that standard email to everyone that has a problem and is not actually resolving any issues here, I will do an updated review if he contacts me otherwise I dont think anyone should come here. I would recommend any of the dubai or far east hotels for the same prices!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pazraj
MazaganBeachResort, General Manager at Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Dear Mr Patel,
Thank you for your post.
As you rightly noticed, I am indeed reading all the posts on Trip Advisor and it has been a great pleasure to meeting you while you were staying at the Mazagan Beach Resort.
I am glad I could talk to you and know more about the ins and out of your stay.
I trust you spent a good time with us and the billing issue has been solved, thank you for raising that point. Customers well being are our main concern at the Mazagan Beach Resort.
As well, I would like to thank you for acknowledging the good points at Mazagan.
I’m convinced we will see you back at the Mazagan Beach Resort.
Best regards,
Frédéric Picard

Reviewed 21 October 2010

A “touch” of Quality has almost everything about this hotel.

Nothing really surprising, outstanding, extremely special, except one thing: attentiveness, hospitality and willing to help of every employee I met as well as a quality of a car, which picked me up at the airport; a quality of hotel furniture and equipment (room, SPA, restaurants, pool etc); a quality of food & beverage; wide “assortment” in SPA; all-round cleanness and “well-groomed” territory – were of a constantly good quality every day.
Possibly, I was lucky and nothing and nobody spoiled my vacation, but I would rather suppose that Good Quality is what Mazagan offers to its clients.

Indeed, there are some things which seem to me a bit strange and were unexpected regarding a resort hotel of 5*: e.g. higher room price for weekends; additional 30DR cost to room service, which is not free of charge; poor choice at breakfast; absence of bathrobe in the room; mini-bar and drinking water to pay for; absence of changing rooms, toilets and bars on the beach.
To find pork bacon on breakfast seemed to me also strange in Muslim country…

I enjoyed my 10 days stay at Mazagan and would like to thank every employee and management team.
I’m not sure if I come back to the hotel, because I like to experience different places, but I’m sure that I’ll come back to the country and will recommend Mazagan to my friends, colleagues and partners.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Khokhloma
MazaganBeachResort, General Manager at Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Dear Mazagan Customer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments on Trip Advisor. As you probably noticed to my replies to numerous posts, guest feedback is very important to me.
In line with this very special attention to guest reviews, The Mazagan Beach Resort is as well hiring the services of a company, Market Metrix, to conduct surveys with all of our customers. I am glad to announce that the satisfaction index for September 2010 is 78,5% . Thus I am confident we are pointing in the right direction and I will continue to read all reviews and bring special attention to guest comments.
Yours sincerely,
Frédéric Picard

Reviewed 19 October 2010

positive points...food is really good and clean...calm place to stay for a short holiday,because it s a bit expansive...beautiful swimming pool..it was a bit cold for a swim...negatives : expansive drinks..they serve you a half full glass for drinks...(don't order martini bianco or rosso :just a half glass...really) and stuff was nice,but they don't laugh or even smile maybe you should pay them to smile at you..!!! i can remember one poor (bello barista era una persona divertente) was talking at me...once a short guy with a tie,( his boss...i think ) told him something with ANGER eyes (in arabo.), he stopped talking with me !!! maybe it was about me (:s) ???......anyway,nice holiday i spent but (mai tornare indietro)...

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo