“WARNING - Make sure you get a receipt after payment!”

Riad Chakir Mogador
Ranked #36 of 173 Essaouira B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“WARNING - Make sure you get a receipt after payment!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riad Chakir Mogador in December last year. We booked online through Hostelworld and paid the deposit as required using my credit card. On arrival at the riad I paid the remaining balance in cash – I was not given a receipt and, very stupidly, I did not ask for one. When I received my credit card statement in January I found that the Riad Chakir had charged my credit card for the same amount I had paid on arrival in cash! I immediately contacted the riad to complain and was eventually told that the receptionist on duty when I checked in “couldn’t remember” me paying! This was the start of a 3 month battle to try and get my money back. Despite numerous phone calls and emails and the involvement of Hostelworld’s Customer Service department and my bank I still have not received any money back from the Riad Chakir. Obviously I will never be staying there again nor recommending it.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura_Raithe

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
England
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very accessible and easy to find your way to and from as its just off one of the main streets. The rooms are adequate although the first room I was offerred was small but the riad was full so the following day they moved me to a better one at the same rate. It can be noisy during the day but quitens down at night. The roof top terrace space is small and some- whether staff or guests, had chosen to hang their washing from the single parasol. Staff were helpful and made us feel comfortable. Good value for money.

Room Tip: Some rooms have window spaces with wrought iron and internal wooden shutters, no glass. This can res...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BrieEngland
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I've read the earlier reviews and I would agree with most of them.
The riad is in the middle of the medina - 7 mins walk from bus station, 5 mins from the port.

It's a nice quiet little place. All the room are off an indoor central courtyard. I has room No.1 which a previous reviewer has mentioned with is right above the breakfast area. In fairness, I wasn't kept awake by any noise downstairs, and you can't hear breakfast going on.

Mr room had twin beds, a small safe, a plug in heater (which was useful in winter - cold nights when the sun went down). There isn't air-con, but there is a fan.

The staff are lovely, and really friendly. Couldn't fault them. And they made sure I was given a map before leaving for the first time, pointing out where the hotel was. And there's free wi-fi.

There is no TV in the room and it is in a 'common room' downstairs. Don't know about anyone else but I don't come away to watch TV.

At 30 Euro a night this was a nice little find.

Room Tip: A higher room may be quieter
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Eindhoven
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The riad is in the middle of the Medina in a small street, so it isn't noisy. You can't get there with your car, but porters are readily available. It is a nice,traditional riad (2 linked houses). Rooms have different sizes, beds were good. No window to outside, but to the central court only. Friendly, helpful staff. Good value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms are different; you need to check them out.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JvB-Ehv
Naxxar, Malta
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We booked this Riad through booking.com and the description of the room from the website to the reality is totally different! On the website, it said that television, washing machine, safe, are all available in the room, BUT it's a common television room that the Riad offers, and laundry service at 10dirham for each piece!!! Also we had to ask regarding the safe and they gave us a portable one! Apart from that, on the booking.com website, it says that room facilities include; A/C, fan, heating, Hair dryer, bathroom amenities & Electric kettle. NOTHING of the above was in the room!!
The receptionist must be new to the job, we had to tell him the total amount for the room, he was going to charge us double the city tax!
Room was serviced daily which is good, but in room 1 (where we were staying), water was leaking every time we opened the sink tap and then ended up with water on the floor all the time!
Maintenance was being done at the Riad, so we had to go through workers and equipment every time we go in & out. Luckily works didn't start before 10am!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor can be noisy if people are in the common area.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fefa79
England
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The service here was really very good. Nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was very good. Our room was quite small but comfortable. We had a little private outside balcony which was great. In the heart of the medina, about 5/10 min walk to beach. Close to all restaurants.

• Stayed October 2011
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed here in September with friends. In the heart of the old town the location is great. Be sure to get a room at the back or in the lower floor as the main level can be loud due to the business of the street. There were young people staying here when we were that took advantage of the roof top deck and the noise trickled down through the courtyard but management was quick to respond and quiet the noise down. We'd for sure stay again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple