“A lot of room for improvement - damp” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Essaouira Youth Hostel & Social Travel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Essaouira Youth Hostel & Social Travel
London, United Kingdom
“A lot of room for improvement - damp”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Unfortunately i don't have much good to say about this place. As a frequent hostel stayer I can honestly say there is plenty of room for improvement.
It was relatively easy to find and quite entrap but is you have to walk down some particularly smelly streets to reach it.
The rooms were damp, one of the mattresses in our twin room was damp and the shower in the room was always cold. Fortunately I did manage to once have a warm shower in the shared bathroom.
The towels we were given smelt and I don't think they were clean. The place generally was not very clean - it wasn't filthy but I have stayed in a lot of spotless cheap hostels. The damp was an issue though. Also there was rarely any toilet tissue.
we would have left after one night but had paid upfront and the owner wouldn't refund us.
We paid €11 each per night or a twin room which is poor value for money given the quality. We'd planned to stay in a boutique hotel that was €17 each per night but chose to stay in the hostel to meet people and because it sounded fun. We regretted that choice!
Also the owner directed us to some dreadful restaurant (assume run by a friend) where we were served a frozen pizza for €4! There are some amazing restaurants in essaouira - cafe des arts was not one of them!
If you're used to hostels and travelling alone this place may be okay but if you are in a couple or group I'd advise coughing up a few more euros and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

My stay at Hostel Essaoiura was the defining moment of my holiday. I really dont even know where to start, but perhaps it should be with the owner "Magic man" & his wife Rasheeda who despite fasting made every effort to make our stay a pleasurable one. If you are looking to visit Morroco I would strongly suggest that you aim for Essaouira & stay at this Hostel.  Marakesh (where we stayed for the majority of our trip) will wear you down & may defeat the object of your trip if it isto relax. Really can't relate to the negative reviews. In fact they actually annoyed me & made me think "that some people just cannot be pleased". The crazy thing is me & my lady were actually provided with more kindness & care in our 3 day stay than our main hotel in Marakesh (which we wished we never had to return to). Probably the greatest sign of how cool this place was, was the attitude of the other guests, who greeted you with warm smiles even if they had never met you before. Magic Man, I salute you.

Jon

• Stayed August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jonathanosa
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Wasn't sure what to make of this hostel upon arrival - seemed rather dark & dingy. However, after been made very welcome by 'Magic Man' we felt very much at home! In fairness, the staff (especially 'Magic Man') couldn't do enough for us and were most hospitable! Great atmosphere and music in the bar at night. Fantastic breakfast also (superb value). Overall, a good experience & great value for money! My one criticism is that the place needs a good cleaning and toilets need to be checked regularly to ensure supplies are always present!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MPOB
Méribel, Rhone-Alpes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

This hostel made my trip...I had been travelling through Morocco and booked this hostel online. The 'no over 45's' appealed to me and also a review where someone had wrote a negative about open drug-taking, she makes it sound like a crack den which it is far from!

The staff couldn't have been any more helpful and friendly, the rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean.The terrace is great for chillin',sunbathing and/or socialising. There are also a few hammocks which are perfect for reading/napping, and then downstairs there's computers, tv,bar,kitchen...basically this hostel has everything you need. And the people in it just make it even more perfect...if you have read any bad reviews on this place it's down to those peoples views and outlook on travelling and/or life, not the hostel and the amazing staff...some people try and travel in hostels when they belong in hotels, so please don't let those people stop you from experiencing this brilliant place!

I booked 2 nights and ended up staying there for a week, still not wanting to leave!!!!

Room Tip: The staff will ensure you are comfortable in which ever room you're in, it's down to you tol...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Staines, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

I left a bad review on Hostelbookers after staying here and somehow the owner found my email address and sent me abusive messages, insulting me and shouting at me for leaving a bad review. Charming.

As previous reviewers have said, it seems damp and mouldy in the rooms. Smells really stale and musty.

The internet is intermittent and only works half the time - I need the internet to work so this was an issue for me (and I didn't appreciate the owners having a go at me for sitting on my laptop so much. This is my job. I paid for my room so I can do what I want.)

The bar downstairs is dingy and smelly. Only the owners hang out there and it was a bit creepy, although good music (classic rock) was played throughout the day there.

The staff were unhelpful - wouldn't tell me where the bus station is, wouldn't show me on a map, gave very poor directions. When I had to leave the staff were asleep in the bar and I had to wake them up to let me out.

The showers were always ice cold, never any hot water.

This was an ok place to stay if you're looking for somewhere cheap and are used to backpacking and staying in crap places.

I'd REALLY recommend staying somewhere else though because of how I was treated by the owner. Extremely unprofessional and rude.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Lauren_Juliff

Travellers are raving about these Essaouira hotels

Duisburg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Seriously, do never ever stay in this place, unless you have no choice. It's dirty, and it has cheaters and untruthful staff. I've booked a private room (indeed I've payed for two people) with a private toilet. The guy gave me a room with four beds and shared toilet. The toilet was disgusting, and the room stinks. Finally they tell you that they have barbecue upstairs, in the terrace, and they tell you that you cannot find anything cheaper in the city, such a huge lie! I hate when people think tourists are a bunch of stupid people. You can find food everywhere for half price than the one in the hostel. I've payed ten euros for a horrible salad with a burned fish, and in any restaurant you may find food for 5 euros, I mean good food (fish, salad, and all kind of moroccan food). I went traveling around Morocco and this was the second city in my trip, I got really worried in the beginning because I thought the whole trip was gonna be like that. God bless me that all the other places I stayed were really clean, and staff told me the truth and gave me good tips about good places to eat and have food for a fair price. I still don't get that sign hanging on the wall saying this is the second best hostel in Morocco, seriously, I don't know who was the insane who gave these guys this price. For staying in essaouira try to find another place. Btw, the city is amazing and it's worth to spend two or three relaxing days there.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this place.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Cesar B
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

Though though a little tricky to find, it is a great location in the middle of the medina alleys only five minutes from the Supr@tours bus stop-be careful walking alone at night; it is a 5 minute walk to waterfront; our room on 4th floor was nice and had a big window so we spent all of our time there because the common area on the ground floor is super smoky (the owners are chain smokers) and has no windows. They do have free computers for your use and free wifi throughout the hostel; nice rooftop seating area, breakfast is 15 dirham for bread, egg, croissant, & tea or coffee. The owners were nice and spoke decent English but were always smoking so we didn't hang out with them (we are non-smokers). The bathroom walls were peeling off and the drains needed attention; the stairs were clean but our bathroom in our room was not, and I don't think our sheets had been changed. There were enough crumbs in our bed as soon as we pulled the sheets back that you could make a small sandwich. We had to ask twice for toilet paper but they were happy to get it for us once we reminded them. There was a tv in our room but we were only able to get one channel so turned it off and listened to the seagulls instead. I saw one dorm room which seemed gracious in size, but not super clean. There are 2 hammocks on the 2nd floor which are perfect for relaxing. Good for a young, backpacking crowd but not families or adult couples.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple