“Idyllic retreat”

Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
London, United Kingdom
“Idyllic retreat”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Nicole greeted us at the bus station and drove us to the Riad, leading us through the refreshingly hassle-free and spacious streets of Essaouira which was a welcome break from the bustling and exhausting Marrakech Souks. Baladin is tucked away down a side street and is bright, clean and beautifully decorated.

We had the honeymoon suite which was spacious and airy, with a four poster bed and a bath in the corner of the room. We always returned to the room completely clean and organised. Breakfast is promptly served on the spacious and comfy terrace by helpful staff, offering a range of choices and eggs cooked to your preference. On our last night we reserved the Jacuzzi in the courtyard; the night guard lit candles and drew the curtains and it was the perfect way to end our stay.

Nicole was so kind during our stay; one afternoon she drove us to a secluded beach with a small restaurant that only a local would know about. She then ferried us to a plush spa hotel, where we had private use of all their facilities, and even booked us a taxi back. While this Riad is clearly an idyllic retreat within a picturesque city, its greatest success its attentive manager.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite spacious and fresh, no AC but big windows onto the terrace.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oliver B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Simplistic, bright and beautiful Riad. It was a breathe of fresh air, literally arriving here after staying in Marrakech. We chose the Terrace room at the top of the Riad and were extremely pleased with our choice.

Nicole collected us from the Supatours coach and gave us a detailed account of the best places to eat, things to do and answered any queries.

Loved Essaouria, and Riad Baladin. Thank you Nicole for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Rooms available on all three floors. We loved the room at the top on the Terrace, but a few stairs...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annabel054
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Riad Baladin was one of the best riads that I stayed in while travelling through Morocco - the style, simplistic, classy, and tasteful - very detail oriented - Nicole, the host was fantastic with excellent suggestions and recommendations, loved the place, wish I could have stayed longer and would recommend it highly to anyone going to Essaouira.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Very serene riad with very well appointed rooms.The location is fantastic and so is Nicole.She was very helpful and a fount of local knowledge on shopping food and sights.
Will definately recommend this place

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Amsterdam
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was my first trip to Morocco and after 3 hectic days in Marrakech and a 5 day trip to the Sahara, I was ready for my Essouria experience. I was greeted by multi-lingual owner Nicole who showed me to my terrace room Everything in the Riad was beautifully decorated down to the tinniest detail. I had spoken to Nicole while on the road and immediately felt a connection. She and her staff are friendly - delightful people and service oriented. There wasn't enough time to do all that Nicole and Claudia suggested so I guess I'll just have to go back and enjoy this wonderful fishing village a few more times and of course stay at this wonderful Riad!!
A word of caution... watch out for the seagulls. One even took my butter dish from the table at breakfast and flew off with his bountry!!

Room Tip: I checked out almost all 10 rooms (managing a hotel myself) and found that I would stay in mostly a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

I must say this Riad is as great as it is on the pictures! It's very clean, lovely authentic style, very cosy and bright! We got a room on the very top floor and had a fire place in it, which was a real luxury! There is a very kind man in the Riad who is there every evening to look after the guests. He brought wood logs and helped us to lit the fire. Very helpful! The owner of the place and all the girls working there are very friendly and welcoming! And one last but very importand thing: The location of Riad Baladin is ideal! It does tick all the boxes for any demanding guests! Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have visited Essaouira twice in the last few years and this was my favourite Riad by far. The rooms are very comfortable and beautifully decorated in typical Moroccan style. The bathrooms are amazing with Tadelakt( traditional built in stone alcoves) showers. The location is very central in the heart of the Medina. The sound of the atlantic ocean can be heard from from the stunning roof top terrace.

The breakfast is served by always friendly and helpful staff and is delicious and always fresh.

Our hosts Nicole and Claudia were amazing and welcoming. They gave us some great insider tips on what to eat, see and do around town. My girlfriend was sick and Nicole came with me to the pharmacy to make sure that I bought the right medication. She also made a cup of tea to cure my girlfriends upset stomach..... without us even asking her. These little touches made our stay even better.

I cannot recommend this place enough. I will be back and would advise anyone to stay here. It is very affordable considering the high standards that they have set.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple