“Fantastic Riad with service to match”
Review of Riad Baladin

Riad Baladin
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Riad Baladin with my girlfriend. Nicole was very welcoming and helpful and took the time to point out where to go, what to see, what to do/not to do.

We stayed in both the Rose and Grey room, both exactly the same layout but with different colours (Rose being the nicer one in our opinion). Rooms were nice and spacious, very comfy beds and lovely traditional moroccon bathrooms.

When in Essaouria, you should definitley book the Elizir restaurant - one of the best meals we had in the 3 weeks we were in Morocco (Lonely Planet 'top pick' too).

Essaouria in general was our favourite place in Morocco - kite surfing, horseriding, quad biking, relaxing, great food.

I'd happily recommend the Baladin to anyone visiting :)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 October 2009

We stayed 2 nights at Riad Baladin. The riad is small but beautiful. Decorated like a mediterranean villa. The room was clean and bed comfortable. Breakfast were great and served on the terrace. Nicole and her staff were very hospitable. Nicole sent someone to meet us at the entrance of the old medina as it can be a bit confusing navigating around streets and alleys. Upon arrival Nicole told us about restaurants and things to see and do. We had a very pleasant and relaxing stay. We would stay at Riad Baladin again if we go back to Essaouira.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Riad Baladin was everything we expected - clean spacious rooms, charming decor, great communal areas and yummy breakfasts. The added bonus was Nicole and her staff were really helpful, listen to their recommendations for restaurants and other places to visit, they are spot on! Just wished we had the time to go horse riding as Nicole suggested. Essaouria is a beautiful town and the riad is well located within it, close to the sea wall and about a 5 - 10 minute walk to the beach. Would love to have stayed longer!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShepsterLondon
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We stayed here for a few nights in August. It was quite a change from some of the other places we'd stayed - more meditteranean villa than typical riad, but it's by the sea so that makes complete sense. We had the terrace room, which was nice enough. However, the loo roll holder was broken and the loo seat wasn't firmly attached to the look. Minor details, I grant you. Breakfast is served on the terrace , so if you're incredibly lazy like me, it might act as an alarm. The thing that bothered me a bit was that on our last night the lock on the front door broke. Although there was a contact telephone number, no-one was available. Had we not eventually bumped into another couple staying there and had they not enlisted the help of some locals to walk along the roof terraces of neighbouring properties and let us in from the inside, we may well have had to sleep on the beach. It was an unfortunate series of events, admittedly, but it tainted the end of our stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Pavlinova, manager at Riad Baladin, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2009

Dear clients of Riad Baladin
We do ask our clients every day if everything is fine - if there is anything you're not happy with please let us know! If there is something which is bothering you we don't mind to help you out at all but if we don't know about it nothing will change or maybe just too late...
It's a pity if we will find out about it after saying good-bye to you and then reading it on tripadvisor.
So, if something gets broken we will fix it immediately when you let us know - we're always around and always reachable by phone (if the Moroccan phone system is working and there is no lack of reception).
Clients do ring normally the doorbell or call us when they arrive here in Essaouira to be picked up - if it's early in the morning or late in the night we're here for that service!
And luckily we do have also very nice neighbors helping out if there is an urgent need to...
So, see you soon here at the Riad Baladin - the door is always open to you!
Nicole Pavlin, manager Riad Baladin

Reviewed 17 August 2009

Service was excellent and very friendly. Nicole and Azma went out of their way to help at all times. The room we had was situated on the roof, and was very clean and comfortable. A good breakfast (orange juice, bread, croissant, eggs, yoghurt, cheese, jam, coffee) was served on the rooftop for all the guests. All the restaurants Nicole recommended were excellent but not cheap. Had a good holiday in Essaouira, shame about the wind. Very windy all the time and needed our fleeces when out at night. Seven nights was perhaps a bit too long, four or five would have been sufficient. Met lots of interesting people while staying here and enjoyed their company.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HankandStella
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The inn is in a great town with a great location. The owner and staff are fantastic and helpful and the rooms have a nice rustic quality.

My only major complaint s are:
1. that the lower two levels can get hot - there are no fans or AC (upper levels get a great breeze). I especially do not recommend the basement room.
2. There is also very little privacy as the place is a kind of open and rustic environment (expecially if you are lower down and hot at night and need to leave everything open for some air) where you can hear everything and cannot close off the room entirely.

However, this type of place does produce a very communal and fun atmosphere in exchange. Just know what you get - a lovely place with a group environment but not a quiet or restful inn. If I would have understood this before I showed up I am sure I would have liked it more.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DCDC1234
Pavlinova, manager at Riad Baladin, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2009

Dear clients of Riad Baladin
After this review I do think I have to make something clear:
Essaouira is a windy town at the Atlantic coast - that's why it never get's really hot here! The temperature is not going over 30 degrees...
Many people are coming here to escape the hot Moroccain cities in summer and they come here for a fresh swim in the Sea. Because of it's constant breeze Essaouira is also a very famous spot for all kind of Surf.
The review above was written from a client who has been here only for 1 night and in a period where we had very nice weather with no breeze! A very rare case - normally, everybody is very happy when it's not that windy like as usual...
Our rooms are situated like in all tipilcle Riads with windows and a view to the Patio which allows to let in fresh air and the Sea-breeze in summer (so we don't need fans at all) - in winter we do close the Patio with a cover to keep the temperature also during the night (and we do have electric heating as well).
All in all: Riad Baladin is a small, simple but charismatic hotel where we do try to offer a special service with a personal touch to our clients on a high quality level and not just B&B... I do hope that our clients in future will see and feel that! Nicole Pavlin (Manager Riad Baladin).

Reviewed 28 June 2009

My only regret about our stay is that we only booked the one night there. Both Essaouira and Riad Baladin are beautiful and I wish I had stayed another night or two, especially after a few nights in Marrakech.

Nicole met us at the coach station from where it was a short 10 minute walk to the riad itself. Once there she gave us a map and lots of advice on where to go and what to eat. The rooms are light, airy and comfortable. Our room (chambre rose) had a fireplace which I imagine would be lovely in the colder months. Also the riad's traditional decor throughout is full of character and very charming and I couldn't imagine staying somewhere more contemporary in Essaouira. There are only a few glimpses of the sea from the top terrace but I felt the rooftops over Essaouira are much more interesting and charming to look at!

The one small negative about the riad is that the curtains that separate the bedroom and bathroom are very flimsy and light and don't meet properly. This I was already aware of beforehand (I had already emailed to ask Nicole about this as I was travelling with a relative) so it wasn't a problem at all when we arrived but I do feel a heavier curtain would be better and it's worth mentioning for those who will be travelling with friends or relatives. As it was, we simply announced to each other each time we visited the loo or had a shower and the other would sit by the fireplace safely hidden from view! As I say, it's only a small negative as there are plenty of other nice spots to sit around the riad too.

I would love to go back to Essaouira as I felt I didn't give it the time it deserved and would happily stay at Riad Baladin again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family