“Money waster”

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Money waster”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The staff at this hammam was very clear upfront about what they were offering. So we were not surprised by the difference with the more lush Turkish hammams. However, what we both did not like about the male and female treatments were the dirty rooms we were both in. The floors and walls had lots of stains on them and the chairs were covered with stains as well. The treatment consisted of only very short soap and scrub sessions. Of the 1 hour treatment we were laying down and waiting for more than 40 minutes.
The male scrub was too rough, resulting in painful body parts for an additional week. After the male treatment the employee literally asked for an additional tip.
My recommendation: get yourself a scrub glove in one of the local shops and save your time and money (and your body)

Visited October 2013
2 Thank MLH29

Oldham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A good way to relax for a whie”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We were told by our hotel manager that this was the best hammam in Ess although having read the TA reviews I was sceptical. But on his recommendation we went - it was fairly close to the Riad we were staying in (the Wind Palace, very good) - and in summary it was quite good. We paid 350dirham each (about £30) for two hours but it actually took only about 90 mins. Disregarding the time, let me tell you what happens.....
Men and women are segregated in Moroccan society and so any ideas of us sharing the experience together were quickly dismissed. Men enter through one door and women another. But that is their culture which we are obliged to accept. My masseur was Zacharia, a strong 27 year old who spoke Englsh quite well and was keen to talk if I wanted to converse but similarly he stayed quiet if I wanted to relax in peace. The hammam itself is rather like an old baronial wine cellar, vaulted brickwork ceilings and walls running with damp. After a shower (you keep your trunks on) you lie down on a hot floor slab which he has rinsed and he gives you a short but firm massage, presumably to relax the muscles. Then after a second shower you return to the slab for a damn good scrub, quite harsh and invigorating, which left you feeling tingly and refreshed. (If you had tender sunburnt skin it would be quite painful but that didn't apply to us.) Having showered again you take to a stool where he soaps you up all over thoroughly and completes that with a shampoo. Then it's shower time again and by now you are feeling very clean indeed. After a rest of 10 minutes or so, his opportunity to talk about cars, Manchester United and suchlike, you leave the hot room and enter the cooler room for the oil massage. This lasted about 20 mins and was very relaxing. Then you're done and remain lying on the table for as long as you wish to doze if you want to. In my case I stayed there about 10 mins and then decided to return to the ante-room to dress and go. All in all the experience was very cleansing and relaxing and I wasn't really bothered about the lost 30 mins which I had apparently paid for but not got.
Would I go again? Yes, but probably to a different hammam just to compare the experience.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank rhs01
Oxford, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“For tourists, but mainly in a good way.”
Reviewed 1 June 2012 via mobile

Just had a fantastic hammam here. Real good scrub down and friendly personal service in an atmospheric setting. Okay, it's geared to tourists and more expensive as a result. But the advantage of that is that you get a more personal service and are shown the ropes. My assistant Mohammad was very nice, asked a few friendly questions, but not too many and made sure I knew what I was supposed to be doing. He also gave me a damn good scrub! Feel great now.

Wasn't my first hammam, but was my first in a while and I'm glad I went.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not recommended”
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

This review is about men's treatment.

It was my 2nd hammam experience in Morocco.

The place is small (there are two stone beds for scrubbing, two for massage), not very clean, a bit smelly. Not hot nor warm. Even lying on the stone, it was not warm enough for me.

With the same price, you can enjoy nicer hammam.

2 Thank tabibito_tokyo
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Basic but good service.”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The guy (Zakaria) who did the massage was very nice and professional. It was a pleasant experience and I am glad I did it. Being in Morocco you must have this Hammam experience. It was very traditional, not like a spa.

1 Thank clacton57