“Need a car but good place to sit back and relax”
Review of Villa Daba

Villa Daba
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed 6 nights at Villa Daba. As most reviewers say Bernadete and Didier are excellent hosts and cooks. We ate dinner there all 6 nights. Most dinners are 18 Euro but my husband told Didier to cook what was the best and if we had to pay more than 18 Euro then so be it. He had a different fish dish 5 nights out of 6. Because I do not eat fish, Didier always cooked me something special either lamb, turkey , chicken or beef. It was all very good. You eat dinner with the other guests of the hotel which is always a fun experience to talk to others. The wine and beer are reasonable prices as well.
The Villa is hard to find if you are driving - 2 km down a dirt road 8 km out of Essaouira. The location is quiet and peaceful. The pool was clean and warm and the lounge chairs comfortable. Our room was large and clean; and the shower had not bad pressure and hot water. Didier is always willing to help you out with finding things to do if you get tired of sitting by the pool. We went horse back riding one day, my husband played golf one day and we went for a walk to the surfers beach one day. All in all the Villa was exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CDNTRAVELLERS2

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I arrived in Essaouira on a Supra Tours bus and were met at the terminus by Didier, the proprietor of the Villa Daba. We were guests of Didier and his wife Bernadette for 5 nights.

It was a short drive to the Villa which is located approximately 8 kilometres from Essaouira. The villa stands in a large compound which is attractively laid out and much effort has been made to make the gardens pretty and pleasing to the eye. The gardens include Didier's growing menagerie plus pitches for pétanque.

The villa is arranged around the central pool area with guest rooms on the ground and first floors. Our room (The Essaouira) was comfortable and spacious.The primary language of the villa is French.

We were given a generous breakfast each morning and in the evening we took dinner at the Villa. Didier and Bernadette are excellent chefs and the dinners were of the highest quality. Ingredients are all well sourced and Didier, who was previously a fisheries expert, is able to obtain and prepare fish dishes that are sublime. There is also a good wine-list at reasonable prices.

All extras such as water, teas, coffees and dinner are chargeable extras but dinner at EURO 18 was good value.

We had not realised that the villa was some distance from Essaouira and felt a bit stranded as we had not rented a car. There is no reasonable walking in the vicinity of the villa so those that are car-less will feel a little isolated. This is the only down-side of the villa but is not too much of a problem if you are willing to hitch a lift into town with Didier when he goes shopping and get a taxi for the return. We borrowed the spare car of the villa for a few hours but this was very expensive at EURO 32.

In summary, we had a very happy time at the Villa and were made very welcome. The establishment is run to the highest standards and I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I spent 3 enjoyable days at the lovely Villa Daba.The hosts,Bernadette and Didier,were so friendly and welcoming and we felt that they could not do enough for you.Didier is also a wonderful cook and his dinners were excellent.We had a nice room,a lovely pool and beautiful surroundings to relax in.
If we'd have stayed longer than 3 days,we would have hired a car,especially as lunch is not provided.Overall, a wonderful place and wonderful people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My boyfriend and I were travelling Morocco and after a heavy day of travelling, arriving at this oasis and being greeted by Bernadette and Didier was an absolute pleasure. Room was fab, food incredible. I would highly recommend to anyone, family orientated or couples. Young or old - it caters for all. Do not be put off by some of the reviews saying it's out the way. We did not have a car and we were offered lifts or kindly sorted out with taxis. Thank you for a lovely time, we hope to return again soon. Alice & Jonathan x

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have recently returned from a 7 night stay at Villa Daba where I vacationed with a girlfriend. The proprietors Bernadette and Didier (& wonderful staff) along with the best behaved pooch EVER....little Momous.....were fantastic hosts who looked after our every need even though we could not speak to them in their native French. The villa was stunning, with beautiful individually designed rooms leading out onto a gorgeous garden and swimming pool. The food at the villa was exceptional and freshly prepared each day (continental breakfast and dinner was a gastronomic surprise each night, but worth noting that lunch is not available so we would buy in snacks to see us through until the evening or eat lunch out). It is a 15 minute car journey to the town so it is advisable to hire one if you want to explore as we ended up paying a small fortune in taxis. I would absolutely love to go back one day and can highly recommend this beautiful little paradise to wind down and relax.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed here in July with my husband and 25yr old daughter who was keen to visit Morocco so she tagged along for,in theory, a one off whistle stop tour and since then I have been trying to work out when I can go back....I know she would be jealous if we returned to Villa Daba without her.

As soon as you arrive, see how beautiful the villa is and meet Didier, Bernadette Momo and Momous the dog, you know you will fall in love with the place

It has a wonderful light fresh feel after the hustle of medinas. The rooms and bathrooms are bright and spacious with splashes of colour. The beds comfortable. We had a daybed on the terrace (La Rochelle suite) which my daughter commandeered. The pool was lovely and clean and inviting.

Didier loves to cook and one night cooked three different menus having asked us all what we would like before he went off to the market. Hannah mentioned she had had sting ray on previous travels and Didier came back with some for us. That was a surprise!

We will be back and for longer next time....sometimes you find a place where you feel totally at home and with great people around you who make your holiday special you are sad to leave and you can see yourself returning again and again......Villa Daba is one of them..

Room Tip: La Rochelle suite has two double beds in separate rooms and the one bathroom. We loved it There is...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at Villa Daba after a very long day's travelling and were welcomed warmly by Bernadette and Didier as if we were family. The villa is beautifully kept and very thoughtfully run; everything is kept very clean and tidy and the decor of the rooms show a lot of attention to detail. The food it also brilliant; breakfast included jams homemade by Bernadette and the three course dinner was excellent and incredibly good value. The villa is set 5 minutes drive outside of Essouira but Didier offered us lifts and arranged taxis for us when necessary. We had a relaxing, peaceful and enjoyable stay and we hope to go back soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple