“An absolute gem !!!”
Review of RIad Dar El Paco

RIad Dar El Paco
Ranked #8 of 181 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Thank you everyone at El Paco. The rooms are very comfortable, the riad is beautiful, and the location is perfect. Very easy to find from the bus station. Just remember to follow the instructions from the email. The roads once you enter the medina itself isn't the best and if you have luggage, get a porter from the bus station. The one night we were there, there was a cooking class, and we were able to have dinner with other guests. That meal was one of the most memorable of the entire vacation. All in all, the entire time we were there, we felt like we were being invited to someone's home rather than a guest at a hotel. Will certainly be back to Essaouira, and will most definitely be staying at Paco. Perhaps next years music festival.

Room Tip: If you're not a fan of stairs, try to book the room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
darelpacoessaouira, Propriétaire at RIad Dar El Paco, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Hello,

The team Dar El Paco thank you for your lovely comment. We are pleased to have brought what you expect of a Riad guest house. We seek friendship between customer, thank you for Natty to have found the couscous excellent.
A goodbye to you faster.
Paco

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed at Dar El Paco from 4th - 7th October 2012 following the recommendation of a friend.

I had a number of questions before arrival and Paco always answered my emails promptly.

The property is in the heart of the Medina, a short walk from the Supratours bus station, providing easy access to shops, restaurants, the sea wall and harbour, the museum and many interesting little roads and alleyways.

I was warmly greeted by Natty who, over a very welcome cup of mint tea, checked me in and showed me the facilites of the accommodation and also marked out points of interest on the local map.

My room - Ifrane (at the top of the building) - was not the one I had hoped for when I booked but Natty offered to move me the next morning to the one of my preferred choice although in the event I chose not to move. Although lacking any view (I doubt many rooms of this type of accommodation actually have a view), it was very comfortable and spotlessly clean - as was the whole property. The whole place was decorated simply but to a high 'artistic and folksy' standard with each bedroom having it's own theme.

Breakfast was taken on the first floor dining area in the 'family' style i.e shared table and Natty would provide a fresh tray of juice, tea/coffee and bread and jam as well as some continental/Moroccan style pancakes/waffles as you arrived at the table. Guests were welcome to use the kitchen area at other times including storing items in the fridge.

There is a roof terrace, reached up a wooden 'loft' ladder. I only visited the first evening to take in the views but I think it would be a peaceful place to sit and read or sunbathe.

Free wifi was available either in the downstairs reception lounge area of the first floor dinging area.

The stairs, of which it felt there were more than there actually were, could be steep and the height of individual steps could be quite high - this seemed to be a common theme in Morocco. For the fit and healthy this may not be a problem but for those who do have some mobility problems it is something to take into consideration. I would not say don't say there, but I would suggest you ask for one of the lower rooms.

I wanted a massage one day and Natty arranged for Wafaa, a female masseuse to come to Dar el Paco - I could have taken had this massage done on the roof terrace or in my room. She was excellent and I would also highly recommend her services.

I never got to meet Paco but Natty was always bright, cheeful and willing to help - absolutely delightful.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but it would probably on the proviso that I had a lower room than Ifrane which is at the top.
Is it suitable for families? Not really unless the children are older and have their own room as there is not much space and the stairs could be a problem.

Room Tip: If you have problems climbing stairs ask for one of the lower rooms. You will still have to climb s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
darelpacoessaouira, Manager at RIad Dar El Paco, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Hello,
Thank you for this lovely description of our riad.
We just want our customers to be comfortable with us and our services.
It is our way of thanking you for your presence.
Regarding the steps c is the bad habit of Masons of Essaouira.
Excuse us for changing room for one night, which was beyond our control.
I 've been able to receive a mandatory duty m' call'd in France.

Again thank you,
Paco

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Comfortable Riad, storage space and facilties to make tea and coffee would have been useful. Had to hold shower in hand a bracket would have been welcome.

Different breakfast options would have been preferable

Good central location, welcoming hosts

Located on a very smelly street and difficult to sleep with boys playing football until 2pm some mornings.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
darelpacoessaouira, Propriétaire at RIad Dar El Paco, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

Actually in the rooms we n 'have no tea service, we have made ​​available in the kitchen for a tea and coffee as shown upon arrival ..
Regarding children playing football, we were Musulmanne holiday season (late ramadam).
We were pleased to receive you.
The team of Paco

Reviewed 19 June 2012

The owner Paco emailed me a few days before our departure to Morocco providing me with detailed map and written directions to the Dar El Paco. Dar is located very near Supratour bus station in the city walls between two main streets of Essaouira and it is easy to find specially when you have Pacos map. The room Ifrane in which we stayed for one night is a little heaven, maybe little in size but with so much detail it felt like a castel for us, vivid colours and the choice of materials used in decoration of the room vas perfect. I arranged with Mr. Paco a massage for my wife in our room and she was more then satisfied with it, the breakfast was very nice also. If we would to return to Essaouira Dar El Paco would be our only choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Buda83
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

HELLO,

With the delay thank you for your comment nopus did a great pleasure.
Natty, Paco and the team will send their friendship.
We will welcome you whenever you want a great pleasure for your good humor and kindness.
PACO

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Thank you Paco and lady's for a very nice warm welcome! My friend and I only stayd for two nights and it was to schort. I did fall in love with Essaouira, the weather, see, people and atmosfear in Essaouira is very good. El Paco is a very nice riad for a good price! The rooms are lovely, braekfast is good... I really felt welcome and I feel safe as a woman to travel allone the next time, if I have to.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Judith

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

HELLO,

With the delay thank you for your comment that made us great pleasure.
Natty, Paco and the team will send their friendship.
PACO

Reviewed 13 February 2012

This riad is an amazing deal for the price. It is beautifully decorated, the rooms are very comfortable, and the location is great. Plus, Natty and Paco are very welcoming and helpful. I would definately recomend this riad for your stay in Essaouira.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank natinati
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The place was great. We found it after deciding against a backpackers hostel which was marginally less expensive but much less friendly, clean and welcoming. Paco was an absolute gentleman even though we spoke no french and he no english. All his staff were just as friendly and helpful. The room was light and clean and well decorated with a good shower. Breakfast was tasty too. Essaouira was a great antidote to Marrakesh where we'd been staying for the past 6 nights. We planned to stay at Paco's for two nights but ended up staying a third and only left because we had to catch our flight home. A good tip for your visit to Essaouira that we never got to take advantage of is buy your own fresh fish in the central fish market and you can take it to any restaurant where they will cook it for you and it is much cheaper than buying off the menu. We'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in at the top was nice and light with lots of windows although some looked onto t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple