“Perfect place to stay on a budget with fantastic service.”
Review of Riad El Mess

Riad El Mess
Ranked #65 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here whilst on our holiday travelling through Morocco and it was by far the best Riad we stayed at. The rooms are basic but that is to be expected for the great price. The reason we really loved it was the location and the service. One of the guys who worked there (Hicham) was absolutely brilliant, he told us all the great places to go, helped us buy spices, told us where the good restaurants were and enjoyed a good daily chat. He really did help the Riad feel like a home away from home. If you are on a budget, want to meet some great locals and stay in a clean Riad with an amazing view from the rooftop balcony then this is the place! And that's not to mention the yummy breakfast & mint tea we got every morning.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at this riad for 2 days. It is a beautiful riad with nice spacious rooms with good ventilation. On the inside the rooms give you a proper Moroccan Riad experience. Had two windows in my room which lit it up nicely and left no need for an Air Conditioner. It had no TV and getting wifi only in the lobby. It is a budget accommodation and it serves the purpose of giving you a nice relaxed stay for the price you pay.

The location is ideal right in the Medina and you are hardly 10 mins walk away from the Port and the beach. Located very close to the main street so you are right in the middle of the action all the time. My room was facing towards the street outside on which this hotel is located so had some noises at night and early morning but didn't bother much.

Staff are very helpful and courteous. Make you feel at home and very polite. The breakfast is typically bread, coffee and fresh juice.

Really enjoyed my stay at this place and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and we don't want to leave! It was our first 'Riad' experience and we couldn't have asked for a more friendly atmosphere. The owner went out of his way to help us with plans and although breakfast is served between 8am-10am, he was willing to serve us anytime!! Can't recommend this Riad enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flora W
Reviewed 12 October 2012

stayed there one week to work on some business papers. Prices are cheap to reasonable and stuff is friendly and always ready to discuss the world's issues. Staff speaks some basic Spanish and English - although those languages are spread over different employees. You get access to WiFi in the lobby. Breakfast as usual but no dinner or room service should be expected. Three small roof terrasses with nice view on the upper one but not developed as a spot to enjoy: proper seats, tables and other facilities are missing. The interior of this Riad is nice and creates a true Moroccan charme. Rooms are spotless and nice, typically facing the inner courtyard. Really enjoyed my time!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We turned up to Essaouira without accommodation and happened to stumble upon this little gem. This traditional style riad is nestled in the heart of the medina 100m from one of the main market streets and a 5min walk to the beach. The riad has a very chilled out environment and is quiet at night time. There are beautiful views over the sea and the medina from the roof top. I have to say the best part of my stay was the local knowledge and advice received from the owner 'Hichay'. On arrival he showed us how to get around Essaouira, recommended some great places to eat and shop.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oliveole
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Poorly lit, smelly (especially the downstairs bathroom) and the promised wifi was nearly non-existent.

however the staff was were nice, helpful, and accommodating despite the shortcomings of the actual residence.

however, for the price, there are literally dozens of other options including it's sister riad (iad jehmali) that would have been much better choices.

There's just no good reason to throw the dice with El Mess.

Room Tip: try and get a non-smelly room without an attached shower. contrary i know, but the moisture is real...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Either the previous reviewers are exaggerating or else the riad has made some vast improvements since those reviews were written..
I went to Essaouira without an accomodation booked. At the bus stop, there were some people who offered to show me some riads, so I went along with them. They showed me three and Riad El Mess was the obvious choice. It had a comfortable and welcoming aura. It is in a great location and easy to find.
The rooms were cleaned daily with fresh towels. Unlike a previous reviewer's statement, the towels were good quality. My bedroom had a outside window, so it was nice and bright inside the room. The riad itself was quiet.

There were a couple of downfalls that I experienced: I was cold but it could have been the time of year since it was March. It was also damp but probably due to the seaside location. I asked for a second blanket and it was ok. The shower was difficult to get a good temperature. It was either very hot or very cold but there was no problem with the water pressure.

For the price of my stay, it was excellent value for my money but it depends on what you are looking for in an accomodation. It was not luxury, but it was a comfortable place to rest your head.

And the staff were very friendly.. Thank you Hisham and Imad for your kindness, your conversation and your good sense of humour!

Room Tip: Room 6 has the window..
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo