“Just not good enough”

Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 21 March 2013

This hotel has all the potential to be a very good five star hotel, however it fails in some basic things. Though staff is very friendly, there is a total lack in the organisation of personnel. Even the most simple things seem to be very hard to be accomplished.
I find it unacceptable to have to wait more then 15 minutes (almost daily) to get a drink, whilst few other people were in the bar. Prices for drinks are exceptionally high.
Though the hotel claims to offer free Wifi, there is only Wifi in the lobby and the bar, not in the room, neither at the pool.
The general cleanliness of the rooms is really disappointing. See pictures attached.
The hotel is deteriorating: paint is peeling off, light fixtures were rusted, ...
The golf court is recommendable.

1  Thank Exaptar
Dkarbownik, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Edoardo GIUNTOLI

Write a ReviewReviews (1,655)

Reviewed 20 March 2013

What a pleasure to arrive in this wonderful place , we booked a golf view bed room and we got the room 330 , with a wonderful view on the golf and the ocean for a very good price !
The Asian , Moroccan style of the hotel and the bed room are so peaceful
We had lunch at the pool side thanks to the weather , and at the golf bar , quick and cheap and the service is really great
For the diner we had the buffet and all the choice was nice
The swimming pool is really wonderful hot and big
Few kids during the school holidays but not noisy
We had the chance to attend the classic car trophee arrival and departure and the show was wonderful
Take some time to go and have lunch to the fish market , with lobster and shrimps with wonderful local people
Great experience

Room Tip: 330 and you will have the sea view !!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa.

I was extremely pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stayed here in June 2012 because it was too hot to stay in Marrakech, and didn't booked anything else in advance. We wanted something with AC, and after looking at two small places around, we decided to go to Sofitel. We got a nice big room with views on the pool, with Breakfast included, but it was not worth the money, very expensive for the service, really not worth it unless you want to show off in a 5 star hotel! I will not go back, I tried twice after two Riads and they are worth the value!

Room Tip: The girl at the front desk was kind of arrogant when I showed up and asked about the price, maybe be...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dkarbownik, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities, however we would have hoped that you found our service as enjoyable as the rest of the hotel.

We hope to regain your trust in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Arrived in Essaouira today for one night. Staying at the Sofitel. When you arrive it looks great, asian style, open, clean lines. Room is very good (a villa) but, and it is a big but, service is appalling. I arrived at 6 pm, no hot water in the room (sorry sir, we are full!!). It is now 11.45 pm and one of my suitcases is still somewhere but not with me. Also, when I left for dinner to Chez Sam (great place, by theway) I asked for the duvet on the bed to be changed for a sheet and blanket. I spent a good 3-5 minutes explaining what I meant (English is not good to say the least). I arrived back at 10.45 to find the bed with a blanket but no sheet. It is now 11.45 and finally, the bed is being made. Amazing lack of service for a Sofitel of this category.

Room Tip: Villa 918 is very good and well located
2  Thank Perrel

Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the situation further.
It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Situated along the Atlantic coast just outside the city of Essaouira is this visually stunning hotel.
Gardens in bloom line the extensive winding walkways to villas,pool, golf course and spa. The reception area is impressive unique design and furnishings. A photographer's delight. Men in traditional attire, one served Moroccan tea another played Moroccan stringed instruments. Lovely
I only regret such a short stay, one really needs to linger here. A world class hotel indeed

Room Tip: ask for the villas

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your detailed review on Tripadvisor.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by our team as well as the facilities of our resort, and will share your comments with our Ambassadors.

On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel in February on a 10 day visit to Morocco. I had been there once before, couldn't wait to return and my decision was justified completely. I have been in the hospitality business for 51 years and I must congratulate everyone at the Sofitel Mogador for every area of the hotel being exceptionally outstanding. I am a golfer and the golf course is superb, the greens every day must have been running about 11 on the stimp meter, took quite a lot of getting used to, with a lovely breeze making it more testing.
Every department of the hotel; reception, concierge, porterage, restaurant, were truly magnificent. We had the pleasure of staying in a beautiful 2 bedroom villa and everything about the housekeeping and the attention there could not have been better.
I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive comment on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your positive review.

Our team is working hard every day to make our guest feels happy and your satisfaction is the best reward they could receive.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Great amenities, large rooms, lovely view from the room balcony, which is also large. Great bathroom, specially the traditional-looking tiled hot tub. The furniture was very nice also. The pool area is spectacular and having dinner there is quite an experience. In the morning you can see the ocean. The garden is also lovely with plenty of places where you can just snooze all day in the sun.

The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is that my key wasn't working and it took a bit of time to get someone to fix this problem. Also, being a chain hotel, it's very large and there's quite a lot of walking along twisting and turning corridors.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the ocean. you won't regret the view in the morning.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank omieosutaunu
Dkarbownik, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feed back.

We enjoy you appreciated your stay in Mogador and specially the "Ocean View"!

Hope to see you soon in Mogador!

Daniel Karbownik