“Great hotel let down by poor service”

Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Great hotel let down by poor service”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The hotel facilities are great, the hotel feels new and the Villa we stayed in was excellent and worth the extra money. Its out of town (but the shuttle bus is hourly and reliable). We booked half board which I would recommend as the hotel is 5* expensive. Service was frustratingly poor with service either great or poor with plenty of pleasant staff failing to deliver small things they promised. A little organisation and training seems to be all that is needed. I wouldn't let this put you off though, the facilities really are great and you can enjoy the experience and just accept that the service is not yet 5* never mind luxury. The hammam and spa were excellent

Room Tip: The villas are expensive but worth it, they all have views. With rooms ask for one high up in the ma...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark W
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa.

Your separate email was as well extremely appreciated and all your suggestions positively taken onboard.

I am glad to read that your overall experience in our hotel was a positive one, and that you were particularly please with the spa facilities as well as with the villa.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back to Mogador.

Kind regards,

Edoardo Giuntoli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 August 2013

While the hotel location, architecture and decoration are outstanding, it is very unfortunate to discover a very poor service and maintenance.
Just to list few of the issues we experienced during these 5 days :
- wrong booking for number of nights, had to be corrected
- room was not ready by 2:30 pm on arrival date
- dirth can be found in corridors connecting rooms
- walked on broken tiny glass pieces in toilet
- issues with hot/cold water in shower
- no evening housekeeping and no regular minibar filling (had to call for refill)
- no towels in pool and when available in pitty conditions
- no bicycles available despite having tried for 5 days
- door access to spa from main building was broken, however got repaired same day
- lack of personel in general in main restaurant ...especially at breakfast making you queuing for eggs for e.g.
- dirty glasses, knives and forks can be disposed on your table at main restaurant
- be aware of the bio pool where you could catch some bacterias...my wife did!!!!

It is a pity for such beautiful hotel to be that badly serviced and maintained! I will probably not repeat the experience.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 234
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hicham A
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Sir,

We very much appreciate your positive feedback regarding your stay at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa.

Please allow us to apologize for not having met your expectations during your stay, which is obviously not the image I wish you to retain of your recent experience in our hotel.

We would like to reassure you however that our natural pool is daily checked and is compliant with the highest hygiene regulation. No bacteria were ever found in the pool, which is filtered by a natural system.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was at Sofitel Essaouria Mogador in August 2013.
It is a beautiful hotel with excellent rooms but with a management and service very bad.
It certainly desprestigiante to have in chain Sofitel a hotel with a level of service so mediocre.
Examples:
- On the day we arrived at 17h our room was not ready and when we ask why, the recepcionist just simply said we had to wait an hour because the hotel was full and without further explanation turned back and left us talking alone.
- When we had the room the bed sheets were full of brown spots and a balcony full of dust
- The corridor to our room in three days was never cleaned
- The next day we asked what was needed to be able to ride a bike, they told us that it was enough to make a reservation in the reception, we did so at 14h to 16h. Even asked us the number of the room to the reservation. At 16h when we arrived they said that no reserved bikes and we didn´t have bikes
- Throughout the stay did not replace the minibar only had water in the minibar in the days when we called to reception to ask
- One of the days we had to ask at reception for us to go clean the room because it was dinner time and the room was not clean
- In all the above as we talked to someone from the staff nonchalance was huge, came to check out to say we were not happy with the service and the receptionist start laughing. Had never spoken to him before.
In short it was the worst 5 star hotel I've been in my entire life ... not to repeat
To be honest I sleep 20% of the nights of the year in hotels and this was the hotel that cost me more to pay the bill. The four previous nights I slept in Naoura Barriere Hotel in Marrakech, the price is the same 200 €/night and the service is wondeful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jcm860
Dear Madame, Sir,

I am sadded by your disappointment which is obviously not the image I wish that you retain of your recent experience at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador golf & Spa.

Above all, we assure you that our main priority is to fully satisfy all your needs and to offer a quality of service that is impeccable.

It is of great importance to us not to leave you with a negative impression of the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa.
Thus, please do not hesitate to contact me directly upon your next stay in Morocco, I would love to have the pleasure to welcome you again and definitely meet with you.

Yours sincerely,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Spent a week at this brilliant hotel and it certainly lived up to its 5* status. Nothing was too much trouble for the lovely staff - towels changed twice a day, free mini bar topped up everyday, request for more hangers dealt with immediately. The spa treatments are beautiful and we took advantage of a buy one get one free massage deal - really great value. The food was superb in all 3 restaurants and yes maybe not cheap but certainly very tasty. Breakfast was perfect - kept us going all day! All in all a truly relaxing holiday!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JulesK78
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

We are very pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were extremely satisfied with the service provided by our Ambassadors.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Gosport, Hampshire
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We returned on the 18 July after a ten day bed and breakfast deal booked through Voyage Prive. From the moment we were collected from the airport in a very comfortable Jaguar XF driven by a smartly uniformed chauffeur to our return journey to the airport, this time in a large Mercedes, we were treated with the utmost respect, with absolutely nothing too much trouble for any of the superb staff. Particular praise must go to the Spa staff who carried out the most divine treatments with extreme professionalism, considering it was Ramadan and they were working whilst fasting. My husband played a couple of rounds of golf on a superb course, however, golfers should be very wary of the winds! The driving range is also superb and when you book a round, you get 50 free balls for the driving range. May be it was because it was Ramadan, the hotel was so quiet; apparently only about 20% occupied. We tended to spend our days lying by the freshwater pool (I called it the green pool!) as the small amount of children staying at the hotel with their parents used the infinity pool and it was very quiet; most days there were never more than 4 other people there. I will not repeat the comments made by other guests who gave this hotel an excellent review, only to agree with the majority. I was not expecting great service, having read a number of negative reviews about this but we experienced no problems whatsoever. Indeed, my husband injured his wrist whilst putting the back of a lounger down and was treated immediately with first aid and his wound was regularly dressed. I, too, had cause to be treated with first aid after I was attacked by the hotel cat! Beware if you are going shortly, as she has just had a kitten and I was just bending down to look (she lives under a large canopied bed by the breakfast area) when she came out and dug her claws into my wrist and then bit me, presumably just protecting her baby. I was walking across the grass to clean it when a member of staff saw me and immediately took charge! That was nearly a week ago now and I am healed with no apparent side effects! We ate in the hotel's French restaurant on the last evening - it is situated on the first floor opposite reception. We did not know it was there until one of the other guests told us! It was quite expensive but not much more than is charged in the Kasbah and was absolutely superb. Actually, I am glad we only found it on the last night or our bill would have been a lot more! We ate out in Essaouira about 4 or 5 times and the bus provided by the hotel was appreciated. As it was Ramadan, the 8pm run is suspended but taxis are easily available (don't pay more than 35dhms). Again, because it was Ramadan, it was difficult to find somewhere for an alcohol drink in the Medina but not impossible! We did ask to look at a Villa whilst we were at the hotel, and it was fantastic and if money were no object, we would seriously consider returning and staying in one. If you are looking for a very relaxing and quiet hotel, with great customer service (at least it was during Ramadan), this is the place for you.I can honestly say this was one of the very best holidays we have had over the last 20 odd years. Please contact me if you would like any other information, particular with regard to the Spa as I have all the treatments available with prices (fortunately ours were included in the price). Just book it, although you may wish to wait until an airline starts to fly direct from the UK to Essaouira airport which is only 10 minutes away, as opposed to Marrkech, which is a good 2 to 3 hours drive, depending on the time of day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LynneGosport
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

We are very pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were satisfied with the service provided by our Ambassadors.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our property.

Kind regards,

Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Beautiful hotel in wonderful gardens with great ocean views, fabulous facilities, spa and hamam to rival any other, pools both beautifully designed and maintained, staff very helpful, villas are pricey but very high quality and the beds are like clouds ......but the bar prices are extortionate and the food prices are not far behind. Considering where you are, you don't expect prices that outstrip Bermuda or London ...... what a shame.

Room Tip: All villas face the ocean and golf course. All are in a great location. But get a half board or fu...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank josiejo64
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. I was extremely pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We couldn't believe how quiet the hotel was for such a quality establishment, no need to book restaurant meals or search out the last remaining sunbeds as it was all available whenever needed. The staff are very focused on customer service and were exceedingly good. We were fortunate to have several spa packages included in our booking so we were able to sample the delightful baths, scrubs and body massages which I might not otherwise have experienced - I am now a convert. The bedroom was outstanding with a very large walk-in shower and a fully mosaic tiled open bath (or was it a small swimming pool) separating the bedroom and shower area, lovely balcony with accompanying large cushioned furniture.
The evening entertainment was provided by local singers and musicians and was of varying quality, you have to appreciate where the hotel is located so don't expect Las Vegas style shows.
My one recommendation/improvement for management to action immediately is to prevent the hordes of sparrows flying around the Kasbah buffet restaurant at breakfast time. This is extremely unhygienic particularly when they sit on the cereal bar helping themselves to food. Simply shutting the external door would resolve this. I this was resolved it would easily get a 5 star (excellent) rating.
Great place, would definitely return when next in need to total relaxation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Bazandkaz
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor. It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.