“Wish I was here now”

Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 7 November 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Loved loved this hotel,
I stayed in a Luxury golf view room, the views are amazing you can see right out too sea. The M bed's are just the best beds ever, just sink in and disappear.

All modern amenities that you would expect from a fairly new Sofitel, huge shower, lovely stone bath and good size balcony with a day bed to chill on.

The food was lovely, breakfast had a choice of, cereals, omelettes, cold meats aswell as healthy options.

This hotel has lovely deco, lots of open spaces and I would highly recommend it for a 4-5night stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you were complitely satisfied with the quality of our MyBed, the comfort of our rooms and the quality of ther food in our restaurants.

Thank you for recommending our hotel on Tripadvisor, on behalf of the entire team I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August, part of our 15 night Moroccan adventure . Sadly our experience at this hotel nearly ruined our otherwise fantastic holiday. We had carefully booked our accommodation with Audley travel where I had carefully checked and rechecked our rooms.
We had booked a double room for me and my husband with an interconnecting room for our teenage son. On arrival the hotel certainly had the WOW factor but this was short lived.We were taken to our room at the back of the hotel where it quickly became clear that there was a problem with our booking as no interconnecting room. The room could only be described as shabby (we later took photos which we emailed to Audley ) A door that could be opened from the outside when locked from the inside and bacteria in the sink and a filthy dusty sofa on the verandah.
i returned to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. Eventually after my insistence an
Assistant General Manager (Hassna ?) approached and told me that Audley hadn't booked us an interconnecting room. (I now know this to be untrue as Audley travel have the confirmation email) We were told that the hotel was full and there was no option for us other than us staying in the allocated room and our son having another room in the hotel but not interconnecting or necessarily near us.
We decided instead that our son would stay with us, sleeping on the tiny sofa at the end of our bed which he did for the remainder of our stay.
We were clearly unhappy and felt that no one in management was listening or indeed interested in us and our problem. On the second night a group of teenagers in the next room kept us up until 3am with an all night party. We complained to management twice over a period of two hours before the noise subsided. The same happened the following night ! Shouting drinking smoking and loud party music , hardly the image you expect from Sofitel.
Eventually on day three we were offered a change of rooms, just down the corridor in this basement of a double room with interconnecting room for our son. When we checked it out we realised the interconnecting room was the one the teenagers had been allocated. Why had management not realised their mistake in allocating the rooms ? The interconnecting room stank of cigarette smoke and was covered in cigarette stubs on the verandah. Management said they would clean it. Later we visited again and told management we would not accept the room due to the heavy smell of cigarette smoke.
We decided to eat in Essaoira and on return were concerned at the smell of chemicals as we approached the rooms. I investigated the smell in the interconnecting room and had to leave abruptly as the smell made me cough. It was clear that attempts had been made to remove the smell by using copious amounts of chemicals. Again we all slept in the one room but during the night I woke to find myself with hive like lumps on my back which I mistook for bites.
The following morning we left as our travel company had managed to organise an earlier arrival to our Kasbah in the Atlas Mts.

I began to feel ill as we left the Sofitel and within 36 hrs the hives covered most of my body. I was so ill that a Moroccan doctor was called who said i had had a severe allergic reaction to something I had inhaled. He gave me a massive injection of antihistamin which sent me to sleep for 15 hrs and put me on a 5 day course of steroids and more antihistamin. I have never had an allergic reaction to anything and am convinced that my illness was due to the substance I inhaled at the Sofitel . It took me until our return to the UK to properly recover.
My experience at the above hotel was so traumatic it has taken me until now to write this review. My advice to anyone reading it is to check, check and check your booking again before you arrive! We thought that booking with a reputable company like Audley would be enough. Clearly not ! This hotel has serious management problems underneath its sleek surface.
We vere extremely disappointed at the managements inability to be honest with us and to accept that they had made a mistake instead only to try and make it our problem ! Oh and in response to another review I also spotted birds pecking at bread on unsuspecting guests bread whilst they were away from their tables choosing breakfast...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MontgomeryshireMonty

Dear Madame,

I would like to personally thank you for sharing your concerns on Tripadvisor with regards to your experience at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa during the month of August, and apologize for not having met your expectations.

I was sadded by your disappointment which is obviously not the image I wish that you retain of your stay with us.

What you probably forgot to mention in your detailed review is the fact that your complaint has been dealt with your travel agent, and that you consequently received a gesture of goodwill from our resort with regards to the reported situation.

However it is never our intention to disappoint our guests, and I hope that you will give an opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Just returned from staying 7 nights at this hotel on arriving we were given tea and made to feel very welcome we were then taken to our room which was great nice beds and it had a large bathroom with a great shower and a bath in the bedroom the view from the room over the pool and golf course are amazing. The hotel has two pools and a toddler pool the service around the pool is super with staff taking your food and drink orders and they are very friendly and helpful. The bar is very good and the service you get from the staff is great with a wide choice of drinks we had dinner in the hotel once which again was good the rest of the time we went out and they have a bus that takes you into town every hour and brings you back. The breakfast is wonderful with a big selection of food for all types and our waitress was very nice and helpful. They also had a spa with a gym which was never very busy and the spa pool is very good. This is a great hotel and we had a super holiday and would go back again and staff are so helpful and friendly a good place to stay

Room Tip: Get a room od 1st or 2nd floor as good veiws
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beechy2603
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

We are very pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were extremely satisfied with the facilities of the hotel and the service provided by our Ambassadors.

Thank you for recommending the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf and Spa.
We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Spent two weeks in Essaouira in a Riad , we booked the Sofitel for dinner , on arriving we were unsure of were the bar and dinning room were , we asked a waite who was passing and he took us to the bar , do go for a drink before dinner , the bar is very modern but great for watching the sun set . The waiter came back with the menues and the collected us for the dinning room . The food was very good , try the shoulder of lamb and do try Moroccan wine its some of the best iv ever had . We found out the waiter was called Akram , his attention was great and not over the top . , we did return and we will on our next trip to Essaouira .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tambuli_11
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Madame, Sir,

Thank you for sharing your positive review of the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa on Tripadvisor.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our Atelier Aux Aromes restaurant.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just returned from a five day stay at the Sofitel Mogador. Very nice property with a beautiful swimming pool and a view to the ocean over a delightful golf course. Very big property with a main hotel and villas. Just about 10 minutes or less to the old fishing town of Essaouria (not to be missed). Stayed for one night at a Riad in Essaouria which was to small for us so we moved to the Sofitel for four nights. As you expect from Sofitel the Restaurants we dined in served delicious fare although expensive. Stayed in a Golf View Deluxe Room which was kind of funky layout, including a ugly big blue tiled bathroom. The bed was European, soft and firm in the middle. All in all the room was sufficient, however the rest of the resort and golf course made up for it. Also the golf course restaurant serves wonderful food with the same high price!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a view of the golf course. However, if you move up to a higher level you wil...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa on Tripadvisor.

We were pleased to read that you found our hotel very nice and that you particularly enjoyed the facilities and the comfort of our MyBed.

On behalf of the entire team, I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Have just returned from a 4 night stay. Great location and very comfortable hotel even if it's decor is a little worn in places (especially corridors). Staff,including G4S security were generally friendly , helpful and responsive.The location and facilities generally earn the 5 star rating but room service,during our stay,was far from the mark. The complementary minibar,coffee facility,toiletries,and even toilet paper were not replenished unless we asked and then not in a timely way,reception confirmed it should have been automatic. We should not have had to draw to the attention of catering staff the fact that sparrows were eating the breakfast cereals,they were then covered.
The walk to the deserted beach along the marked path through the golf course is a must but be prepared to be stopped by golfers to be told you should not be there,golfers need to be told to expect walkers and coexistence.
The evening me use we were shown were not exciting but that was of no concern as there are plenty of very good resteraunts in town
We would consider visiting again but from our experience this visit our expectations re 5 star rated service would be reduced,it could just have been a bad week for the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive and detailed review on Tripadvisor.

We were extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities and the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to the room service, and would like to assure you that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Once again, thank you for bringing to our attention this matter and we hope to have you back with us in the near future and show you the improvements realized.