“3 stars for the free upgrade”

Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partner and I stayed in the hotel in May 2013 (can only go back to july on TA reviews) for a romantic week away. We absolutely loved the country and the town, Essaouira is fantastic and just the tonic we needed after a short stay in bustling Marrakesh.

The location of the hotel is perfect, a short taxi ride from the old town on a lovely stretch of beach and surrounded by the lovely golf course.

The room we were initially put in was grubby, noisey, full of ants and in a total state of disrepair - hairdryer, safe, shower, lighting, decking, etc. After the housekeeper didn't clean our room after requesting as standard I demanded another room. At first the staff on the desk laughed and didn't seem to understand what I was saying (French the main language spoken with some English). I spoke to the manager the next day, he was very professional and upgraded us to a seaview room which was very nice although still not perfect.

Overall I would rate the following:

Good
Hotel design in terms of form, loved the lobby..pure style
Great location
Sea view fantastic
Comfy bed
Free l'occitane cosmetics

Bad
Hotel design in terms of function, flooding shower etc
Food was bland and BLT in clubhouse tasted processes
Worst build quality I've ever seen in international hotel chain
Only one heated pool

Ugly
Total lack of service culture, focus on looking good in designer suits and using mobiles rather than helping and engaging with guests

Overall we enjoyed and I proposed to my partner so have special memories but wouldn't stay in this sofitel again when we go back

Room Tip: Eat in the town. Get room on floor 1 or 2 with sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank L0u_Paul
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. I am glad to read to you enjoyed your stay overall, loved the location, the design, the lobby, the sea view and the comfort of the beds.

I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations on a few points: food, functional aspect of the rooms, service culture. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies concerning the mentioned points: we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest we welcome, and therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence!

Nevertheless, I would like to precise a point. We in fact have two heated pool at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa: the main pool (outdoor), and the So Spa Pool (indoor). The third one is a natural pool, based on a natural filtering system. Heating this third pool would distort the whole concept and is therefore not possible.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns: your opinion is precious to us. We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Edoardo GIUNTOLI

Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A lucky find. This hotel is like walking into the pages of elle decoration without any pretentiousness. I emailed prior to arrival asking for a quiet room and the perfect space was delivered. A chauffeur driven car collected us from Marrakesh for the 2.5 hour transfer which went by in a flash thanks to the intelligent informed and charming drivers commentary (Mohammed). We asked for coffee making facilities and a dvd player...we got state of the art equipment within moments. The quality of the food and drink was excellent and far surpassed any half board options we have experienced. Mohammed in Kasbah restaurant was a superlative host...true 5 star standards. The environment around the hotel, the beach and the town of Essaouria are magical. Little to no hassle and the feeling of being welcome everywhere. Our only criticism was that breakfasts could be chaotic with a lack of crockery and the service in the pool bar was erratic and exceptionally slow compared to the standards throughout. I believe this is a matter of understaffing as opposed to any fault of the waiting staff. The rooms were superb, the quality of linens, fittings and even toiletries truly high. The hotel Hamam is beautiful. All in all, we loved this holiday and cannot wait to return. Thank you Sofitel.

Room Tip: We had room 336... Great position, close to spa and overlooked the bio pool, golf course and sea in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Johnstreet11
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear guests,

Thanks a lot for your comment regarding your stay at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback and to read nice comments. We wereglad to read that you enjoyed the decoration, the quality and calm of your room, your transfer from Marrakech, the service, the quality of food and drinks, the environment of the hotel and the beautiful city of Essaouira and the Hammam.

However, due note was taken regarding your comments concerning the breakfast and the Pool Bar's service: we will share your comments with our team. We indeed strive to continuously improve the quality of our services, and therefore, your feedbak is really precious to us!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us, and we really hope your next visit will be at least as pleasant as the previous one!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here many times and we will go back despite of all the con's.

Pros:
- Site is great
- Golfing
- Kids Villa
- The hotel is good
- Friendly staff

Cons:
- The service is pretty bad when the occupancy is high. The hotel is under staffed and they get personnel from other hotels or interns.
- The food is very expensive. The choice is limited.

Room Tip: If you have kids, choose a room that is "Rez de Jardin". Otherwise an high floor to bene...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear guests,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. Thank you for your nice remarks concerning the site, the golf, the Kids Villa, the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the hotel in general.

I am sorry that the service and the food offer did not meet your expectations totally: please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. I will share your comments with our team: we indeed strive to continuously improve the quality of our services, and therefore, your remarks are are very important for us.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you back soon at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a great hotel in its design, staff and has vwry big potential if managed properly. It is my observation that Management and training is probably terrible as it reflects in great staff offering very friendly but overall (consider pricing and Brand) mediocre service. Missing towels , missing room service, wrong orders, Missing mini bar items for days resulting in confusion when checking out. Working with contractors offering terrible service such as ancient bycicle rentals, transfer to marrakesch in dirty smelly old car breaking down on the road. Spa aerea is nice but seems at times unatended as litered of used towels and papers on the floor. However each and every staff nember is very nice and friendly so possibly just does not know any better. Great settings, cool design, clean rooms. Surprisingly Great local wine, food was ok. Gym is a bit dull.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Xwg
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience in our hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the beauty of the hotel and of the So Spa, the design, the setting, the local wine and food and the cleanliness of the room.

Concerning the rest of your remarks (missing items, contractors, service...), I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations: please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, we strive to provide a a high quality of service for every customer, and therefore, your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrence.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions with us, I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I find it difficult to know what to say about the Sofitel as we were booked in by an agent and it was obvious to us after our first trip to the medina that we would have been a lot happier in a Rhiad in the centre of Essaoira (the shuttle bus fills up pretty quickly in the morning anf if you don't make the cut it's a 50dhm taxi, the rooms were fine although we did have to call reception to get it cleaned and linen changed some days, the bed was enourmous and very comfortable and the grounds offered unlimited scope for my morning jog in the gardens or the empty 40 k of beach and dunes. If you want to hang around the pool and play golf this hotel would be the place for you, we went in to the town and found somewhere new to eat every day which seemed to work out well so apart from breakfast we ate elsewhere, and the breakfast was good, when the staff finaly got it together to clear the tables, set a few places and replenish the buffet. The star of the breakfast operation is the young woman cooking eggs and pancakes at the back of the range, despite her comparatively lowly position one of the most charming and helpful people I've ever met. One last thought, no two, if you see goats in the argan trees look carefully and youll see that a lot are tethered there; essouira is famed for its beautiful handmade thula boxes, there are so many on sale in the medina it would take a factory the size of a power plant to make them all, we didnt see one in the area just a few guys sawing the same piece of wood up again and again, but we did love our time in the area and count our moroccan trip as one of the best.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LuciusLandmass
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyd the rooms, the comfort of the beds, and our breakfast. Concerning the other points you mention, I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations: please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer: your feedback is therefore very important to us. Please rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address the issues you mention above and prevent any future occurrence!

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your helpful feedback: it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We spent three days in this resort hotel. The location is great if you like golf and are not looking to be in the Medina. The hotel is 10 mns from the city center by free bus shuttle running on the hour. A pretty nice breakfast is served in two areas. Prefer the biggest one which has a wider choice of food. The three pools are nice. There is free WiFi throughout the resort. Where the hotel falls short in on the rooms which are average. The shower is tricky to figure out. Some of the decoration (the floor in some area) seem pretty old. This is not consistent with the luxury image of the Sofitel chain.The staff was uneven as well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StephaneTreppoz
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear guest,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, the free shuttle, the breakfast, the pools and the free Wifi system.

As regards the rooms, I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer: your feedback is therefore very important to us. Please remain assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues and prevent any future occurrence.

We appreciate the fact that you took time to share your concerns with us, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

A wonderful hotel with superb, accommodating and friendly staff.

Breakfasts were fantastic and we always felt that nothing was too much to ask, so it's difficult to find any flaws.

Samia & Alexis

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Samia Y

Dear guests,

Thanks a lot for your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will definitely share your comments with our team, as I am sure that this feedback will serve as a reward and an encouragement to all of our ambassadors: we indeed strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you soon in the future,