“This Sofitel disappoints”

Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
London
“This Sofitel disappoints”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have just returned from the Sofitel Mogador. The only justification for the isolated location of this hotel is that it sits on a golf course; and what a bizarre location for a golf course! I don't play, but I imagine that it would be easier to achieve a low score using a snooker cue rather than clubs, as the fierce winds did not abate once during our week's stay.

The uninspiring exterior looks out over beautifully kept grounds, and two large, stunning swimming pools, the quieter of which gives on to a pretty, natural water feature. Our upgraded room was well designed, comfortable and kept clean. It had the same view from the balcony facing the distant shore. However, the beach could not be included as one of the amenities of the hotel. It may be reached by a 25 minute walk through the golf course, then a rough track, and finally across the dunes. This brings one on to a bare, empty, windswept stretch of natural coastline.

We travel widely, and I can't remember the last time that I was ill on holiday. However, after just one breakfast and dinner, I suffered 24 hours of vomiting and diarrhoea. Disorganised would be a polite description of mealtimes: be prepared to share the buffet with a flock of sparrows. Unfortunately, it was not until the last day that I discovered that, because the drinks station was only equipped with one kettle that took forever to boil, my morning tea was being made with water direct from the hot tap, which may be the reason by stomach didn't settle all week. I don't imagine it's too hygienic to be drinking straight out of the hot water system.

Our personalised welcome letter indicated that we could also choose a three course meal at the "So Good" restaurant with our half-board package, but this proved difficult because, as half the staff were unaware, they only served tapas. Not So Good, then. This limited the guests' choice to the overpriced a la carte restaurant or the buffet, which, consequently, often had a queue of people waiting for a table.

Great improvement could be made if they looked after the hotel guests as well as they look after the links. There was no shortage of staff, most of whom, with one or two rude exceptions, seemed willing enough, but not too sure about what they were supposed to be doing. There were also plenty of suits wandering aimlessly around. Two dirty plates and cutlery from our first evening were still on the ground outside our room up to the day before we left.

Essaouira itself was a 10minute drive away. The hotel provides an hourly shuttle from 10am to 6pm. The old walled Medina was fascinating to visit, with narrow side streets and small shops, boutiques, stalls, cafés and restaurants enough to suit every taste. But what contrast: turn the next corner and the wrecked and fallen buildings gave the impressed that you'd been transported to a war zone. The beggars were persistent, but not threatening. In fact, there was a very relaxed and safe atmosphere, and the widely heard spoken French gave it a very cosmopolitan feel.

Don't be misled by the Sofitel label: this place is an insult to the brand. It is in serious need of some professional executive management guidance. As things stand, to be blunt, I can't imagine why anyone would want to go there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda J
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear sir, Madam,

I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Sofitel Essouira Mogador Golf & Spa,and apologize for not being able to meet your expectations.

As you rightly mentioned, the golf of Mogador is an excellent golf course, designed by Gary Player, where the wind (during the windy season from April to September) is part of the game and gives a special dimension to this sport.

The beach is a natural, preserved, wild Atlantic beach : one of the few in the world where is still possible to walk for several kilometers without meeting anyone and fully enjoying the power of the nature.

I would also like to reassure you that food hygiene is one of our priorities, and we strictly follow both local and international HACCP rules and regulations. Food and water samples are taken and tested monthly by an independent body, and would be delighted to share the results with you.

We are delighted to read that you liked the hotel, the design, the gardens and the rooms with its superb ocean view.

Essaouira is indeed a stunning place to visit, authentic and protected. The city’s wall spread good vibes around, and it is a real pleasure to spend time across this city.

Be sure that it is never our intention to disappoint our guests, and I hope that you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the future.
Should you decide to do so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly!

Edoardo Giuntoli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
London
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am stuck at the Sofitel currently-and have 5 more days of hell to go. I have never written a holiday review before and would never have normally done one-especially whilst still on the holiday-but I am miserable here and my complaints to management have gained me nothing but a couple of apologies and the offer of a fruit plate?!

Our trip was hellish from the outset as we were picked up from the airport by a taxi driver, arranged by Sofitel, who gave us filthy looks for taking 30 mins to get through passport control and then drove at up to 160kph in 60kph areas. He nearly hit so many cars and I was in tears for the majority of the journey, unable to say anything as he was hugely intimidating.

We explained this to the person at reception on arrival and they said sorry and promised to investigate. I honestly have never been so fearful for my life and a pathetic apology infuriated me so much that I complained again the next day to the manager. He again just promised to investigate.

Other issues mirror those already mentioned. There are only TWO restaurants you can eat in and one is full of flies and birds. No one explains the half board system to you. Drinks are hugely over priced for the poor service that come with it. And the snack menu at lunch is filled with items that have zero flavour.

The place looks amazing on first inspection but in reality it is worn and very tired looking.

House keeping are horrendous. I stormed to reception after a plate with welcome fruit had been left in our room for 2 DAYS and bed sheets were not changed despite us not leaving the card on the bed asking for them to remain the same. When I complained I asked someone to sort it at 8pm as we would be out then and and my other half was taking a bath currently. They turned up at 4pm.

Finally the staff are far from welcoming, I did not feel at ease at all, especially at breakfast when they are all surrounding the room as if they are guards-no hello or smile whatsoever.

This is far from a luxury hotel. It's a two star at best. If you like luxury and expected it to mirror the website-who wouldn't?!-then don't stay here. Go anywhere but.

I understand every hotel has issues - but not this many and I know other hotels would handle his better than to offer a fruit plate.

I wish there was a lower rating than a 1. Roll on next week when we can fly home.

• Stayed July 2014
9 Thank Lanidicat
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Madame, Sir,

I would like to thank you for bringing to my attention you concerns about your experience in our hotel.

I am truly sorry that we are not matching your expectations, and I would like to personally apologize for having given you reason to write a negative review on Tripadvisor.
I’ve read that you are still staying at the hotel, and therefore would be a pleasure for me to meet you and personally discuss the points you kindly mentioned on your review.
I am available at any time of the day, the front desk will be happy to assist you.
Look forward to meeting you.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed in November 2013

Good:

the whole building and rooms,gardens and golf course - superb!!

The buffet was good to start with but explicable they closed the mid-class fish restaurant all of a sides during our stay. We asked why - no answer.

Also good - the golf club - good course and caddies, and a great lunch afterwards with good staff. we went here after the fish restaurant closed.

Bad:

when we went to the gourmet restaurant we both got food poisining - complaints got nowhere???
Really poor for a so called 5* hotel

the trip we booked through the hotel to Marrakech was terrible, a total rip-off.

Not what we expect from a top Sofitel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Edoardo G, Directeur général at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear guests,

At the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer and therefore your feedback is really precious to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the beauty of the place, the peaceful gardens and the golf course that provides you fresh air and superb landscapes. We sincerely hope that all these positive elements you mentionned will help you to overcome the small inconveniences you noted, and that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arriving at this hotel is spectacular! The architecture, the view and the way they greet you is wonderful! They offered us a lovely ocean view room but I decided to upgrade to a villa with private pool. The location was spectacular, the villa in need of renovation...we enjoyed it heaps anyway, especially the butler service with Hakima, who was a delight. Our night butler Gabriel was good too but Hakima was simply the best!
The food at the hotel is excellent and the service very friendly! Looking forward to going back for another short sty...cuz the winds really bliw your cobwebs away ( and are a bit much after a coup,e of days! )

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view on the top floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jacquelinem449
Dear Madame,

I am pleased to read that you were seduced by the hotel’s beauty, the warmth of our ambassadors, working every day to satisfy you, and the unique atmosphere which reigns within our hotel.

I will pass on the message to our whole ambassadors' team, to Hakima and Gabriel who had pleasure to satisfy you, indeed, your satisfaction is for us all, the most beautiful reward!

Once more thank you for sharing with us the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf and Spa experience, and be sure we will be all delighted to welcome you again within our hotel.

Best regards,

Paris, France
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is far from Essaouira (1hr on foot and 15 min by shuttle- note that the shuttle service stops at 18h30 so you are obligated to eat dinner at the hotel) The hotel advertises three restaurants on site. However, throughout our 8 day stay, only the cafe kasbah buffet at 35eur per person was open for dinner. The food quality is mediocre at best and drinks are not included (meaning that you have to pay for bottled water too!). The entrees remained the same every night and were comprised of stale mussel salad, disgustingly old smoked trout and bland salmon and very doubtful deli meats. These are left out in the open for hours where local birds are not shy to swoop in and dance around on anything left uncovered (not just the entrees but also the fruits, cheeses, olives, desserts). Very unhygienic and nauseating. Aside from the disappointing quality of the meal, the buffet is often completely full and overcrowded. We had to wait 40 minutes for a dirty table and the service was stretched so thin that we had to clear off everything ourselves and track down waiters to ask for water. All in all be prepared to spend ridiculous amounts of money for a very poor meal and service, unless you are ready to opt for a taxi every night to eat in town...

Room Tip: We were charged 25 eur extra per night for a room one floor above ground level. It was worth it thou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel M
Dear madame,

I was surprised to read that our restaurants were closed during your stay with us. For dinner we open the International buffet Café Kasbah, the fine dining Atelier aux Arômes and the So Good.
I would also like to reassure you that hygiene is one of our priorities, and we always focus every effort to be irreproachable.

However it is never our intention to disappoint our guests, and I hope that you will give an opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Best regards,

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

An enjoyable stay in a lovely hotel, but this is not on par with other Sofitel hotels. The beach is windy, but when the hotel grounds are so lovely, the beach is not a priority. I would recommend this hotel for families, couples and business, but be wary of expensive prices on site.

PROS.
1. Despite our holiday operator failing to book our hotel, the Sofitel still arranged for a transfer from the airport
2. Beautiful designed building.
3. Sufficient sunbeds for all
4. Good house keeping
5. Beautiful and well kept grounds
6. Safe
7. Buffet (evening) is food cooked for you, so everything is fresh
8. Free shuttle to Medina
9. Pastries for desert are beautiful
10. Staff are friendly

CONS
1. We booked half board, but were given no info about what this was. We made enquiries at the reception about eating in the other restaurant and it was only then that we were told that we had 450 dirhams to spend a day. No one said how much the buffet was and we had probably wasted dirhams on previous days
2. Bottled water should be supplied everyday, but every other day in our room.
3. We left money on the side and this was taken, we can only presume that the house keeping presumed that this was a (£15) tip.
4. At breakfast, their are birds eating the cakes and muesli etc
5. There is never enough orange juice, cups, glasses or spoons available at breakfast.
6. We are a platinum (privilege) card holder and there is no executive lounge. The only things we were offered was a welcome drink, which is the same for all card holders and a late check out. We had a room upgrade, but this was the same room a floor up. This is very different to the offers at other Sofitel hotels.

Room Tip: As previous reviewers have stated a top room in the main room will give you a lovely view and the su...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EGradus
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations: please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the beauty of the place, the grounds, the feeling of safety and serenity, the fresh and delicious food (and especially the pastries), the friendliness of the staff and the free shuttle system. We sincerely hope that all these positive elements you mentionned will help you to overcome the small inconveniences you noted, and that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future!

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We has a lovely stay and found the staff efficient and friendly. The staff particularly nice in piano bar and club house. Made us feel special. Room lovely. Hotel good standard all in all very pleased. Would come back again.

Room Tip: Room higher with sea view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank annoscar
Edoardo G, General Manager at Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear guests,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a comment regarding your stay at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa. It is always very pleasant to receive compliments!

I am very glad to read that you loved the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, and that you enjoyed your room, and will definitely share your impressions with our ambassador team. They indeed work very hard in order to make your experience unforgettable, and will be delighted to know they succeeded in pleasing you.

Again, thanks a lot for sharing your comment with us, and I hope to see you back at the Sofitel Essaouira Mogador Golf & Spa soon!