“Make a detour, go elsewhere !”
Review of La Rencontre

La Rencontre
Ranked #209 of 264 Restaurants in Essaouira
Price range: US$2 - US$5
Cuisines: Italian, Moroccan, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Wemmel
“Make a detour, go elsewhere !”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We were there for dinner with another couple - unfortunately. The place was dirty, somber and the staff ?! unfriendly right from the beginning. We regretted having climbed the several flights of stairs, see what we have seen in the kitchen and ate what we have eaten. There are so many other better places to eat in Essaouira for a reasonable price and service.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank jopavi

• Korean first
North Buckinghamshire
“Great views, lovely food”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

The best sardines ever! Grilled to perfection in the traditional oven. Friendly service and very reasonably priced. Beautiful views of the ramparts and out to sea. Perfect!

Visited October 2012
uk
“Great view, food just ok”
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

This is a restaurant/cafe on multiple levels. When you go in, you have to climb 3 or 4 flights of stairs if you want to eat on the roof terrace, but it is worth it. The views are great. However, not all the tables are shaded so in the middle of the day, even in October, it was too hot to sit in for long and we had to move.

They offer a good value set menu which was perfectly acceptable, though nothing out of the ordinary. However they forgot about my dessert and had to be reminded. Very friendly, pleasant service though, if not exactly on the ball (but slow, relaxed service is the norm in Morocco, and it's not such a bad thing when you're on holiday.)

On the whole, I'd agree with other reviewers who have recommended this as more of a place to have a drink and a sit down rather than a full meal. But you could do worse than eat here.

bavaria
“better for just drinks on the terrace with a view of the sea and old city walls”
Reviewed 12 October 2012 via mobile

funky modern decoration, which was unexpected of a "womens cooperative" (according to our guide), the resto is multilevel on the edge of town right by the canons of the old city wall.

The tagines were tiny (especially the shrimp tagine), pastilla bland and floppy, pizza burnt. But you can get cold drinks (my group was happy for a few of the small beers in the sunshine) and enjoy the view.

Luxor, Egypt
“Not so wonderful experiences...”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The service was poor. They seemed unsure who was going to serve as a waiter. Eventually a gentleman presented himself. He was adequate, however, with only three tables to wait, I would have expected better. The gentleman didn't even seem a waiter and there were two other waitresses. I will just say that my service wasn't quite right.

The food and drinks were not right. My wife complained about her orange juice, she said they added sugar to the fresh squeezed juice. I know there is a stereotype about moroccans loving sugar, but we have never experienced this one before with juice. Sugar is for tea or coffee.

The food, my pastilla was very adequate, everyone else was jealous. It was flaky, although layer wise it was questionable. But this is my first pastilla in Morocco, so maybe that is the way it is done. I had something simular before with many more layers. Overall I would say it was tasty but could have been a bit more on portion size.

The tangine my wife got was both bland and uninspiring. She was very underwhelmed. The taste I had was not awful but it was one of the worst we have had. The kids pizza was laughable. The sauce was a sugar tomato blend that they didn't even want to finish. I have had wonderful pizza in Essaouira, so there is no excuse for something that tasted so poor the kids didn't want to finish it. The price for the meal was on the medium to high side for Essaouira. So this isn't a value meal.

Overall I would say that the view is beautiful but the meal is poor.

• Visited June 2012