“really nice owners and clean riad”
Review of Riad Thais

Riad Thais
Ranked #55 of 178 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2013

If you're looking for a clean and cosy place in Essaouira, that's it. I arrived at 9pm and was a little scared to walk into medina alone in dark remembering my previous experiences in Marrakech and Fes, I called them and requested someone to accompany me but my phone battery died. Luckily I had the medina map they sent me before. Essaouira medina is quite small and well designed, so it took me only five minutes to get to the riad from Bab Sbaa. Anni and Pascal were at the door welcoming me. They offered tea and we had a quick chat since they don't speak English and I have limited French. My room's cleanliness was well beyond Moroccan standards. There was hot water as much as I wanted. I woke up with seagulls singing. Breakfast consisted of fresh orange juice, homemade yoghurt, fresh fruits, croissant, bread, butter and jam which was more than you can eat. Internet access was a little slow in the rooms but ok. Owners and helping lady were very warm and always smiling.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank theroyalnonsuch

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Lovely riad with a great location right in the medina. The room was comfortable, and the riad has a lovely rooftop area with sun loungers.
Breakfast was lovely, with a different selection every day
and all freshly prepared in front of us.
Staff helpful, although very limited English.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingnic1967
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were very warmly welcomed by truly nice Anni and Pascal and felt comfortable right off the bat. Monika helped us find the place and navigate the city and was a very good host all-around.
The riad is greatly located, in a pleasant part of the medina, close to the promenade (the medina itself is rather laid-back, quite unlike Fes or Marrakech). The whole house is in a good shape, it even has a hamam, the rooms are clean and nice, albeit without much space where to keep stuff. The common area between rooms is great for perusing your Lonely Planet, surfing, or just being lazy. It was really easy to feel at home in this riad.
One thing to keep a note of is that bathrooms are strange (not separated from the bedroom or have doors like a wardrobe would), at least in some rooms. Still, keep in mind this is very common in Morocco.

Room Tip: We had a room on the higher floor and it had a door between the room and the bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bojan T
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

The riad is located in the middle of the medina. We arrived at the Supratours drop-off and could walk to the riad. Warm welcome with tea and cookies. Room was good, but not really big. Breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank VeraD3
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We where advised to go to Riad Thais by our former Riads manager. It was as good as she described it. Essaouiera is pretty and has a rough sense about it all at once. We loved the manager of the Riad, Monika, who showed us around and was so helpfull and patient. Our room was small yet perfect and had an giant bath in which we spent some evenings. Overall, just a pretty place to stay with great value for your money!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hedi S
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

I had a brilliant 3 days in Essaouira. Riad Thais is perfectly located in the old medina. You can tell a lot of care has been put into making this a lovely place to stay. I was really grateful to Monika for being so welcoming and organising a surf lesson for me which was great fun! I'd definitely recommend this to other female solo travellers. Top breakfast too!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Gallivant85
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I booked Riad Thais based on the reviews here. It wasn't a bad spot, but maybe it was just our room. It was tiny and hot and the bathroom was like a closet in the room. We had no space to put our stuff and we had to open the windows to get a bit of air, but then it was quite noisy. Our bedside lamp didn't work either, which I suppose the staff wouldn't know unless the previous guests told them, which we did...so hopefully the next guests had a working one. The riad itself was nice, clean and had a good feel to it and the staff, Fatima and Monika, were great. Maybe the other rooms were fantastic, in which case we would have probably given a better review, but because there aren't many rooms and this was all we could get I would rather spend the same amount on something a bit better.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms (I think they were bigger/better), but ours was on the higher floor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple