“OK facilities but the service is useless”

Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Except at reception where the staff is intelligent and useful but the bar and pool staff is useles. We left to go to Atlas, which is only 5 minutes away and it was so much better overall (facilities, staff service, room size, food)

So many examples why the Medina is a bit of a joke for a 4 star hotel: they served us liquid butter for breakfast (had melted in the sun), cuttlery was dirty, they made a mistake in charging us for the wrong items, we ordered drinks that never arrived by the pool, they charged us 5 euro to bring a bathrobe to our room, they tried to charge us twice the regular price for an extra stay of 2 nights, the toilet flush doesn't work properly near the reception area and in our room (blocked toilet), some outdoor furniture is broken (I nearly sat on an armchair which felt down as soon as i touched it), breakfast is extermely expensive (18 euro) just continental and a bit of cheese, the hotel doesn't own a fresh pepper grinder (come on guys FRESH PEPPER, is that too difficult?)

Not all was bad, on the positive side, the pool is big and slightly heated. The pool boy is quite hot my girlfriend said to me.

Overall average for a 4 stars hotel, it would be better aligned to a 3 star hotel standards.

Room Tip: to choose a good room in the Medina hotel go instead to the Atlas hotel. seriously.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear JARIMBA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us following your stay at the Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies, kindly Know that i will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team.

I hope this incident will not leave you with a bad impression of the Medina Essaouira hotel Thalassa sea & spa, and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again very soon.

I would like to thank you also for your positif opinion about the reception staff, I will transfer your compliments to them; it is a reward for their daily effort.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and please accept our sincerest apologies

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,607)

An Accor traveller
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Reviewed 28 February 2012

As the hotel was not full I was immediately upgraded to a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. Lovely and quiet. Staff wonderful and always gave me my double espresso before I went on my morning jog ahead of breakfast. Pool a bit cold for swimming but I managed it anyway.
Only disappointment was not being able to use the indoor pool until after 7pm unless treatments were booked. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
RACHID B, General Manager at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Helen,

First of all, thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Essaouira.

I'm glad that all staff managed to make your stay one of the best experiences

Your comments have been forwarded to our staff, and are always a source of motivation to achieve our goal of excellence

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to Medina Essaouira hôtel Thalassa sea & spa MGallery.

Sincerel

Reviewed 17 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
RACHID B, General Manager at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel for the first time in the summer of 2011, and since then, we've been back 3 other times... That tells you how much my husband and I loved it.
Service is excellent. The staff is very friendly and helpful... They'll go out of their way to satisfy their customers...
The Thalasso center is well organized and the treatments are very good.
We tried all sort of rooms, from the superior room with pool view to the Prestige suite with sea view... Obviously, the best one was the suite, but the superior rooms are perfect too... And they have the best mattresses in the world... In any of their beds, you sleep like a baby... It's amazing!!!
Overall, for me it's the best hotel in Essaouira and I recommend it to everyone...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Great hotel and excellent service. Comfortable rooms with quite large well furnished terrace overlooking the pool. Toilet separate from bathroom.Free bathrobe & slippers. Lots of cupboard space.Nice outdoor heated pool 28C with many sunbed and shadowed loungers. Also indoor pool heated at 32C. Hammam with 3 different heath zones. Excellent breakfast; fresh fruit juice,on the spot baked eggs and bacon (not so often available in Morocco) and pancakes served with a moroccan delicacy sirup "amlou" (honey, almonds and argan oil). Good food. Choice between very good traditional "cuisine" inside the hotel or more fish oriented menus in the restaurant "Côté plage" situated in front of the hotel near the beach where the hotel disposes of a private beach strip with sunbeds. Well situated along the sandy bay of Essaouira, at some 5 min from the very picturesque fishing port and 5 min from the city walls, souk and shopping. Lovely place to spend some relaxed holidays.

Room Tip: The superior rooms with view on the pool are worth the small extra money. We got a free upgrade as t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear vileyn,

First I want to thank you for your time to write your comments, I will not hesitate to share your views with all of my team.

I hope to welcome you again in "Le Medina Essaouira hôtel Thalassa sea & spa"

In the meantime, Kindly accept my sincere greetings

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Thoroghly enjoyed Essaouira, with a three-nights stay in February, 2011. Made good use of the balcony, not only facing the ocean, but situated above the main road and beach promenade - great for people watching. The hotel is fine for its purpose, clean and well appointed. Reception staff very friendly and efficient; however, dining room breakfast service was not very attentive, e.g., slow to clear used dishes, leaving us feeling somewhat abandoned at times. The supervised parking was much appreciated and the conscientious, caring parking attendants were always available when we needed them.

Room Tip: Recommend a luxury room with ocean view and balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
RACHID B, General Manager at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear ZIPPY,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Médina Essaouira Thalassa sea & spa MGallery Collection.

Know that I will not hesitate to share your comments with my whole team, and i apologize for the disagreements happened during your stay.

In the other side, I am satisfied that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and I hope to welcome you home again.

Sincerely