Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The reviews of this hotel had forewarned us that everything might not be perfect. Certainly, it does need money being spent on it. The carpets in the corridor are dirty and need replacing, the towels are grey instead of white, the tiles in the bathroom are grim. The rooms really need a refurbishment.
However, we spent a week here and were very comfortable. The superior room was a good size and the bed/pillows lovely. We liked our large balcony, the private beach area and the sundeck. The location of the hotel was ideal.
WiFi in the room would have been nice and we weren't able to get a signal for BBC World.
Breakfast was just about adequate. Everything fell apart the morning a large corporate group were there.
All the staff were polite.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Dear Travelgirl,

Thank you so much for giving us your feedback concerning your last stay at the Médina Essaouira Hôtel Thalassa sea & spa.

I feel very much sorry for the inconveniences caused during your stay.

I wish to assure you that I have taken the appropriate actions to make sure that no other guests experience those types of regretful.

I certainly would be very pleased to see you again on a next visit at Essaouira.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Yours Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed 23 September 2012

There are two main hotels on Essaouira - Le Medina and the Atlas. We stayed at the Atlas for our first two nights but we moved to Le Medina for the rest of our stay because it was a better hotel (the Atlas was fine but a bit soul-less and the staff were not particularly helpful). Great pool, great room, great staff who were genuinely helpful. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear James,

Dear Guest,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa
-MGallery Collection-

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel, and I hope to welcome you home again.

Thank you for all your positif comment.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Good location close to the Medina. The service is "indifferent from the front desk to really bad at the pool". WIFI only in the lobby by the front desk. In the first floor, there is sort of a lounge, for the superior rooms. There, you have to purchase WIFI. How ridiculuos is that? TV channels, most of them in arabic and french. BBC and other english channels, conveniently, were not receiving signal, so if you need to know what is going on in the world, you must go down to the lobby for WIFI. Most of the employees are flat, few speak good english. Had lunch by the pool, service is inexistent, sort of speak. The kid that was running as a towel boy was also the waiter. Sandwiches took at least 35 minutes to arrive, waiter dropped the bottle of coca cola on us and on the floor and never came back with a new coke nor to clean the sticky mess. I had to get up and get my own. The bar with two servers, doing absolutely nothing would not have the cortesy of helping the waiter and on top of that he said it was not his problem nor his job. Anyway, no big deal, but for a hotel that is considered high end here, service should be better than this. No manager to be found anywhere. I have stayed in 5 Sofitels on this trip and this is the first that I had problems with.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean, otherwise you will have to have your curtains closed if you wish privac...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Dear mezzogiorno,

Thank you very much for your message,i appreciate that you take time to give us your feed back.

I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies.

I hope to welcome you home again.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and while the rooms are clean they are poorly finished and I am aware that they are trying to create a particular old world/medina look to the rooms which is nice but at the same time there is just poor workmanship throughout the room as well. I found my biggest issue with this hotel was the service it was hard to communicate with the staff members as they mainly speak French and not English most of the material in the hotel is in French including the price list in the spa and there are no English alternatives to read.

The toilet in my bathroom broke on three occasions and I had to keep calling to get it fixed and on one occasion I reported it on my way our and requested they fix it while I was out but when I returned 5 hrs later they had not bothered to do it.

They sent a welcome basket (Which I think was sent cause they new how mad I was about everything) but if it is normal for everyone to get one I think sending at 6pm on the final night is a bit stupid when I had already been there for 2 days prior.

The service throughout the whole establishment is just atrocious I sat down for lunch at one of the outside tables after being told to sit there by the waiter so he was well aware that I was there but I continued to wait for 20 mins before I finally got up, walked over and interrupted his and his mates conversation to request a copy of the menu. He obviously had better things to do than his job.

All in all I really did not like the whole 3 days I spent in this Hotel and I would never ever ever go there again. As a hotel that is part of the Accor Group I expected a much higher standard.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Tennille C
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear Tennille,

Thank you very much indeed for having taken the time to write your opinion in Tripadvisor.

I feel very much sorry for the inconveniences caused in the room.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Bad food. Bad service. Hygiene poor. Breakfast terrible. Panckakes were pre-made and re-heated on order. When re-heating, the chef handled them excessively. The staff could not understand English. You ask for a boiled egg and you get an omelette.
Pasta was served just boiled with a separate portion of sauce-which was about 2 tablespoons. Only one waiter was friendly.
At the pool,you have to be vigilant that your place is not taken when you go for a swim for 10 minutes.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
RACHID B, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Dear Jane,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Thalassa sea & spa MGallery Collection.

Thank you for your message, I hope to welcome you home again.

Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights with my kids in a sea view room. It was very nice stay. We enjoyed the balcony during night and the private beach during day. Definitely we will take same hotel if return to essaouira.
The only negative point is the service in swimming pool some latency in responding.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ansarkadi

Dear Ansarkadi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced at our pool.

Thank you for your message, I hope to welcome you home again.