“Excellent hotel in a great location”

Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed for two nights and really enjoyed our stay. The room and the bathroom were both very nice and clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The private balcony was also very nice for relaxing.

We found the service to be professional and efficient. We ordered room service on the second day when we wanted to leave early. The food arrived at the time requested. The buffet breakfast was decent and had a variety of items.

The location is great. We had a rental car, and there was free parking across the street. It is about a five minute walk to the medina along the beachfront.

Overall we found it good value and definitely recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Rabnut,

I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa MGallery. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I will have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,642)

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and had a great time. The hotel is well placed just outside the Medina and opposite the beach. They have generally good facilities, but the side of the pool which gets the sun is a little small and they did run out of towels! The Hammam is very nice - very dark and cave like!

Apparent from the fact our room wasn't ready when we checked in we would have little to complain about - all of the people were very nice and the hotel-organised tour of the Medina was very informative. Not a 5 star hotel by European standards (it needs some refurb work) but altogether very good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Joe,

I appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The hotel seems very impressive at first, but then the faults start to show.

The positives: great location, nice outdoor pool, friendly waiting staff at poolside, clean bedroom and bathroom.

The negatives: The service is shockingly slow. It's best to order a drink or food well in advance of actually wanting them, due to the time it takes to be served. The hallway carpet is filthy. There is no soundproofing whatsoever - resulting in a lack of sleep. Even with earplugs, the banging of furniture and doors kept me awake at night.

I cannot recommend this hotel, as I would not choose to stay here again.

Also, as mentioned by a previous reviewer, as a guest at the hotel, the spa pool is ONLY available from 7pm, which isn't great. And the 'gym' is terrible - the equipment is old and the room is very warm indeed.

The location is good - but the price of the rooms here is far too high for the standard. Avoid.

Room Tip: Choose a 2nd floor room to avoid hearing the people in the room above walking around! And bring ear...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KRQ2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa MGallery. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At MGallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This is advertised as a five star hotel and, by Moroccan standards, it probably is. However, if you're expecting a European 5 star experience, you will be disappointed.

The good news is that the hotel is clean, the rooms are of a good size and the location is fantastic.

The staff are very pleasant as well but the service is unbelievably slow. Expect to wait at least ten minutes for a drink at the bar - even if you are the only customer.

Room service takes all day. You might have your room cleaned by mid afternoon.

I tried the gym. The treadmill, stepper and exercise bike had all seen better days and need replacing. If exercise is important to you, it may be worth looking elsewhere.

The worst part of the stay was the soundproofing. There isn't any. We literally could hear an earring drop in the room upstairs! So you'd be well advised to go for a room on the top floor. There are only two floors so this wouldn't be too much of a hardship.

On the plus side this is a beautiful hotel. The pool looks nice although I didn't use it and the location gets fantastic weather year round. You are also very close to the Medina and right next to the beach.

A bit of TLC, new gym equipment, and soundproofing in the rooms would turn this from being a good hotel to a great hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandblastedCheese

Dear Sandblast,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

I noted all your negative remarks; please accept my sincere apologies. I will take the necessary actions with whole teams.

I hope to welcome you soon in better conditions.

Best Regards

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We booked in for one night and I can't fault the actual hotel for anything. The reception staff and hotel staff were brilliant.

The problem lies with the Cote de Plage beach restaurant. As the hotel restaurant was closed we ate at the beach restaurant. Good spot, nice food. The problem is with the service. Menus eventually came and were in French which was no issue at all, although when we asked to see what desserts they had the same menu come back in English which may have made picking starters and mains easier. So onto the drinks. We ordered and waited 20 minutes for drinks. Then had to ask 3 times for the water we had ordered.

As for the food, 40 minutes after we ordered my wifes soup arrived. As soon as she finished that with the bowl still on the table and her barely having placed the spoon in the empty bowl the mains arrived. The mains were good though we had to ask for knives and salt and pepper. That took over 5 minutes to come.

We ordered dessert to come with tea. The tea came and we drunk that and still no dessert. After about 30 minutes dessert came so we asked for a top up of hot water for the tea and that never materialised at all.

So into the bill. Reasonable although I noticed a 10 % addition added to the bill which I assumed was for service. As I was charging the bill to my room I decided I would get that taken off in the morning when checking out.

Checking out: Once again hotel couldn't be faulted. We asked for them to remove the service charge from the restaurant and they called the restaurant manager. He apologised and said they were busy. Not good enough. Less than 30 covers and about 5 serving staff in a supposedly 5 star establishment. And he said that they didn't add a service charge but couldn't explain what the 10% charge was. This left a very bitter taste and we believe we were lied to. A poor reflection on a good hotel with very nice staff.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Courty,
Thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Thalassa sea & spa MGallery Collection.
I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies.
Your remarks are very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
We hope to see you again with a new experience.
Please give us this possibility to give you better service in the near future.
Sincerely

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Arrived here after 3 nights in the Sofitel Marrakesh. On arrival the reception area is lovely, fresh flowers and traditional tea maker. Downhill from there on :( hotel room smelled awful, pool so cloudy nobody would go in. Very short staffed and only one waitress serving tables at night. Staff work very hard but they are just to few to provide even a 4 star experience. Food very expensive but a set menu is available every night in the main restaurant which was good value for money. We tried room service a few times but food arrived cold (also had to phone from bathroom as room phones not working). This hotel is marketed as a la carte but is not. Would not return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery by Sofitel-, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear JOANNE,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us following your stay at the Medina Essaouira hotel Thalassa sea & Spa.

I hope that this experience will not leave you with a bad impression of the Hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and please accept our sincerest apologies.

Best Regard