“Great location with potential to be five stars”

Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery Collection
Ranked #19 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
London, United Kingdom
“Great location with potential to be five stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect, opposite a private beach and 5 minutes walk to the walls of the old town of Essaouira you couldn't ask for a better location. It used to be the Sofitel but since Sofitel has opened a brand new resort in Essouira it has been "downgraded" to a McGallery Collection and whilst there was nothing particularly wrong with it I can see how it is starting to fray around the edges both in decor and service levels and it just needs a little bit of a push to get it up to a higher standard again.
Upon arrival we waited for 5 minutes until anyone helped us with our luggage up the steps, check in was complicated and slow and there was some confusion with my booking.
Once all that was sorted we went to the rooms - if there is one thing that this hotel needs to do as an absolute PRIORITY it is to replace the carpets in the corridors. They were disgustingly old, tatty and stained and it really did not give a good first impression.
Once inside eh room all was well again, clean, spacious with great comfortable beds, fluffy duvets and pillows and all in all a good sleep experience.
The bar area is very homely with big leather sofas but they insisted in having a TV blaring out at all hours when in fact no one was paying the slightest bit of attention to it and was much happier having their own conversations with the people with whom they were sitting - please bar staff take the hint and turn it off (Or at least the volume down) when no one is watching.
The outdoor pool was a reasonable size and we also loved the raised terrace with hammocks and enormous cushions where we spent relaxing hours reading in the early November sunshine!
You can only access the indoor pool, hamman etc after 7pm, in the day it is reserved for paying spa guests, The hamman is very nice - dark and cavernous and very hot as it should be!
Breakfast was good with a wide variety of freshly made items - all in all this hotel has got definite potential to be 5 star again but just needs to go up a gear to get there. A definite 4 stars but not in the 5 star league.
Everything you read about the wind chill in Essaouira is true - by evening time it was long sleeves and jackets for us - don't forget to pack accordingly!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SJT999
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Guest,

First I would like to thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa.

I noted all your negative remarks; please accept my sincere apologies. I will take the necessary actions with whole teams.

I hope to welcome you soon in better conditions

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and really enjoyed our stay. The room and the bathroom were both very nice and clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The private balcony was also very nice for relaxing.

We found the service to be professional and efficient. We ordered room service on the second day when we wanted to leave early. The food arrived at the time requested. The buffet breakfast was decent and had a variety of items.

The location is great. We had a rental car, and there was free parking across the street. It is about a five minute walk to the medina along the beachfront.

Overall we found it good value and definitely recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
FREDERIQUE A, Directeur général at Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa Sea & Spa - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Rabnut,

I appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa MGallery. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I will have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and had a great time. The hotel is well placed just outside the Medina and opposite the beach. They have generally good facilities, but the side of the pool which gets the sun is a little small and they did run out of towels! The Hammam is very nice - very dark and cave like!

Apparent from the fact our room wasn't ready when we checked in we would have little to complain about - all of the people were very nice and the hotel-organised tour of the Medina was very informative. Not a 5 star hotel by European standards (it needs some refurb work) but altogether very good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Joe,

I appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Romsey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

The hotel seems very impressive at first, but then the faults start to show.

The positives: great location, nice outdoor pool, friendly waiting staff at poolside, clean bedroom and bathroom.

The negatives: The service is shockingly slow. It's best to order a drink or food well in advance of actually wanting them, due to the time it takes to be served. The hallway carpet is filthy. There is no soundproofing whatsoever - resulting in a lack of sleep. Even with earplugs, the banging of furniture and doors kept me awake at night.

I cannot recommend this hotel, as I would not choose to stay here again.

Also, as mentioned by a previous reviewer, as a guest at the hotel, the spa pool is ONLY available from 7pm, which isn't great. And the 'gym' is terrible - the equipment is old and the room is very warm indeed.

The location is good - but the price of the rooms here is far too high for the standard. Avoid.

Room Tip: Choose a 2nd floor room to avoid hearing the people in the room above walking around! And bring ear...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KRQ2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Le Medina Essaouira Hotel Thalassa sea & spa MGallery. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At MGallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This is advertised as a five star hotel and, by Moroccan standards, it probably is. However, if you're expecting a European 5 star experience, you will be disappointed.

The good news is that the hotel is clean, the rooms are of a good size and the location is fantastic.

The staff are very pleasant as well but the service is unbelievably slow. Expect to wait at least ten minutes for a drink at the bar - even if you are the only customer.

Room service takes all day. You might have your room cleaned by mid afternoon.

I tried the gym. The treadmill, stepper and exercise bike had all seen better days and need replacing. If exercise is important to you, it may be worth looking elsewhere.

The worst part of the stay was the soundproofing. There isn't any. We literally could hear an earring drop in the room upstairs! So you'd be well advised to go for a room on the top floor. There are only two floors so this wouldn't be too much of a hardship.

On the plus side this is a beautiful hotel. The pool looks nice although I didn't use it and the location gets fantastic weather year round. You are also very close to the Medina and right next to the beach.

A bit of TLC, new gym equipment, and soundproofing in the rooms would turn this from being a good hotel to a great hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandblastedCheese
Dear Sandblast,

I hope to welcome you soon in better conditions.

Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We booked in for one night and I can't fault the actual hotel for anything. The reception staff and hotel staff were brilliant.

The problem lies with the Cote de Plage beach restaurant. As the hotel restaurant was closed we ate at the beach restaurant. Good spot, nice food. The problem is with the service. Menus eventually came and were in French which was no issue at all, although when we asked to see what desserts they had the same menu come back in English which may have made picking starters and mains easier. So onto the drinks. We ordered and waited 20 minutes for drinks. Then had to ask 3 times for the water we had ordered.

As for the food, 40 minutes after we ordered my wifes soup arrived. As soon as she finished that with the bowl still on the table and her barely having placed the spoon in the empty bowl the mains arrived. The mains were good though we had to ask for knives and salt and pepper. That took over 5 minutes to come.

We ordered dessert to come with tea. The tea came and we drunk that and still no dessert. After about 30 minutes dessert came so we asked for a top up of hot water for the tea and that never materialised at all.

So into the bill. Reasonable although I noticed a 10 % addition added to the bill which I assumed was for service. As I was charging the bill to my room I decided I would get that taken off in the morning when checking out.

Checking out: Once again hotel couldn't be faulted. We asked for them to remove the service charge from the restaurant and they called the restaurant manager. He apologised and said they were busy. Not good enough. Less than 30 covers and about 5 serving staff in a supposedly 5 star establishment. And he said that they didn't add a service charge but couldn't explain what the 10% charge was. This left a very bitter taste and we believe we were lied to. A poor reflection on a good hotel with very nice staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Courty,
Thank you for choosing Le Medina Essaouira Thalassa sea & spa MGallery Collection.
I have taken note of your comments regarding all the issues you have mentioned and would like to express my sincerest apologies.
Your remarks are very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
We hope to see you again with a new experience.
Please give us this possibility to give you better service in the near future.
Sincerely