“Great holiday”

Images in the Sun Tours
Ranked #18 of 61 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Having just bought my first dslr camera I wanted to learn how to use it on the settings and get away from auto...this was achieved very quickly with Darren's expert tuition.
It was a brilliant week we covered so much and I learnt a great deal not only from Darren but from others in the group and seeing their work in our reviews each day.
The locations that we went to were varied and offered lots of photo opportunities and experiences.
I noticed an improvement in my own work as the week went on which was very pleasing.
The group was mixed in age and ability and we all had great fun and lots of laughter too.
The food was excellent because Darren each evening would take us to a different local restaurant that was obviously tried and tested.
The hotel was described as luxurious which I would not quite agree with because the bathrooms were not good. The towels were once white but now were brown. On one occasion the towel was so worn and thin that when I used it it just ripped.
The patio furniture was wrecked but new furniture was delivered while we were there but was only unpacked for use as we were leaving.
The staff at the hotel were first class, everyone was so helpful and friendly.
Some of the rooms overlooked the street and could be noisy. Men seemed to congregate at the kebab stall and talked loudly sometimes until 2am or 4am on occasions which was not good.
Overall I would definitely recommend this holiday for the learning experience and for the enjoyment factor.
Darren is an excellent tutor and makes the holiday interesting and fun.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"camera"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 19 April 2013

My wife and I spent a week with Darrin in Essaouira in lat March 2013. We were okay snap shooters but were keen to learn more about photography. On top of it, we were curious about Morroco. Images in the Sun was the perfect match for us. Darrin showed how to see the potential for a photograph while teaching us about the technical side of our cameras. We learned so much and gained confidence in our ability to taking interesting photographs. While we have a lot left to learn, we now can understand how our cameras work and are able to plan our shots intelligently while keeping our eyes our minds open for the potential before us. Couple all of this with the tremendous location of Essaouira - its narrow streets, its exotic feel, its dynamism, the harbour - and you have a recipe for a pretty special vacation experience. Darrin is a great host - patient, funny, an experienced teacher, an excellent photographer, a dedicated and congenial guide. We would not hesitate to recommend Darrin and his platform for others who want to combine travel with learning. A wonderful horizon expanding experience. Thanks Darrin!

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Brilliant experience! Darren's patience and expertise makes him an excellent teacher. I now know what the settings on the camera are for and was delighted with the photographs I brought home. Darren’s knowledge of Morocco enables you experience the culture, villages and landscape in a way that would be almost impossible for the normal tourist.
Great holiday for singles and couples alike with all the everyday necessities arranged, making the ability to learn and enjoy so much easier.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

As a complete novice to photography, I booked the 8 day photography holiday with Images in the Sun with view to combining practical photographic experience with a much needed winter break.
I shared the holiday with a varied group, ranging from complete novice (me) to seasoned photographers and the group tutor, Darren was able to offer his wealth of experience and guidance to all when needed.
I found the holiday extremely rewarding and now have a clearer understanding of my camera and photographic techniques thanks to Darren. The various visits to souks, Moroccan oil and wood production workshops, waterfalls, beaches, dunes and portrait photography offered great photographic opportunities and the chance to explore off the beaten tourist track.
The holiday included transfers, breakfast and accommodation at Maison de Sud in Essaouira, which is an authentic riad in the centre of the medieval medina and is the perfect base from which to explore the local souk. Evening meals were also included at various good local restaurants of our choice and therefore the group had the opportunity to sample a variety of menus throughout the week.
I left the holiday with a great selection of cherished photographs, new friends and memories, enthused to continue photography and put my newly acquired skills into practise.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I highly recommend the 10 day photo tour of southern Morocco given by Darren. The Atlas Mountains with its quaint villages, kasbahs, and ksars offer wonderful photo opportunities. The trip includes a couple of days in the very cool giant dunes at the edge of the Sahara.

Darren expertly navigates the territory in a Land Cruiser and his Moroccan wife knows the culture so you learn quite a bit about Morocco while taking great pictures under blue skies and moderate temperatures (in February). Darren will work intensively with those who want his help and it is a great opportunity for beginners and serious amateurs to learn quite a bit.

Be aware that the accommodations are modest but clean and friendly, and the food is good throughout the trip.

Morris Liss