“Essaouira and the Atlas - fantastic 8 day photography and cookery tour”

Images in the Sun Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #20 of 54 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
Switzerland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Essaouira and the Atlas - fantastic 8 day photography and cookery tour”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We have just returned from an "Images in the Sun" 8 day family photography and cookery tour (Essaouira and the Atlas) with Darren and Naima, which I would highly recommend to anyone interested in expert photography tuition at all levels, Moroccan cookery and discovering Moroccan culture.

We visited some amazing locations (Essaouira Medina and port, Ait benhaddou, an oasis, the Atlas mountains, Dades valley...) and were privileged to meet and photograph several Moroccan families. Darren is an experienced, funny and patient teacher providing opportunities and tuition for different styles of photography (portrait, reportage, landscape, abstract, black and white...). We all improved throughout the week technically and also discovering our different styles which were interesting to compare in the reviews of our photographs.

The organisation of our tour and attention to detail was excellent. Each of the Hotel/Riads were carefully chosen by Darren and Naima for comfort, location and their warm welcome and the food was always great. It is well worth taking some time in Essaouira to learn Moroccan cookery with Naima who is an excellent cook - we loved the tour of the spice market to buy ingredients for the sweet tagine we made!

Thank you Darren and Naima for a wonderful and memorable week!

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent way to hone your photography skills and enjoy a great week!”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This was the first time I've been to Morocco, and also my first time doing a photography class in a foreign country. And I have to say - I would do it again! The experience was perfect.

Darren is an insider, and knows very well how to adapt to different skill levels and interests of group members. He gives you enough freedom to explore subjects at your own speed, but enough guidance during your excursions to make sure you learn a lot and improve your skills.

Every day was packed with a different focus (portraits, reportage, landscape, abstract, ...), and
review sessions at the end where the group discussed each other's work. It's amazing, everybody worked in the same places, but the results were so different - I thoroughly enjoyed reviewing the photos made by others. Especially the area of photography (portraits and reportage) I was not so comfortable with I enjoyed a lot.

We booked a combined package - my wife had a cooking class with Darren's wife - so delicious results every day at lunch time were guaranteed! My wife had a great time as well!

We stayed in the Media in a wonderful historic Riad - be prepared to be woken at 5am by the Muezzin :) so either get ready for early morning shots in the old town or bring earplugs. :)

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A week of Photography and Moroccan Cuisine”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I would highly recommend this activity especially to those who want to go beyond holiday snapping and experience Morocco with an insider. We got insights into various locations and Moroccan day-to-day life as well as had superb dining experiences every night. From a photography perspective I have learnt extra bits I hadn't paid attention to before and got exposure to a variety of styles used by the rest of the group. We stayed in an 18th century old Riad which had been basic but accommodating. Staff was super helpful and always very friendly. We were lucky to stay on the roof terrace with fab views - bring earplugs against the seagulls though.

1 Thank SK78_06
Kassel, Germany
“A week to remember”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

A week with Darren in Essaouira is truly a week to remember. He knows a lot about photography and how to introduce the subject to photo novices. He showed us the most awsome locations - for shooting and for dining! For me it was a first in Africa - I will come back that's for sure! I can highly recommend the photo tour with darren, even if one is a little bit more advanced in photography.

Roland Vollmar, Kassel, Germany

Banbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Having just bought my first dslr camera I wanted to learn how to use it on the settings and get away from auto...this was achieved very quickly with Darren's expert tuition.
It was a brilliant week we covered so much and I learnt a great deal not only from Darren but from others in the group and seeing their work in our reviews each day.
The locations that we went to were varied and offered lots of photo opportunities and experiences.
I noticed an improvement in my own work as the week went on which was very pleasing.
The group was mixed in age and ability and we all had great fun and lots of laughter too.
The food was excellent because Darren each evening would take us to a different local restaurant that was obviously tried and tested.
The hotel was described as luxurious which I would not quite agree with because the bathrooms were not good. The towels were once white but now were brown. On one occasion the towel was so worn and thin that when I used it it just ripped.
The patio furniture was wrecked but new furniture was delivered while we were there but was only unpacked for use as we were leaving.
The staff at the hotel were first class, everyone was so helpful and friendly.
Some of the rooms overlooked the street and could be noisy. Men seemed to congregate at the kebab stall and talked loudly sometimes until 2am or 4am on occasions which was not good.
Overall I would definitely recommend this holiday for the learning experience and for the enjoyment factor.
Darren is an excellent tutor and makes the holiday interesting and fun.