“I learned ALOT”

Images in the Sun Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #20 of 54 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I learned ALOT”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It was a steep learning curve - I'd never even held a DSLR camera before ("the Japanese would be weeping now") - but I learned ALOT from Darren over the week's Photography Course. And from my fellow students, too. Initially, I felt I was studying for A Level when I'd not mastered the 11+. And perhaps I should have asked for more help putting the theory into practice. But I'm very proud of many of the resulting photos. And Essaouira is a great place to study.

“Great on every level”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Darren is a great tutor, very patient with questions from a DSLR novice (me). He also showed us around some great places in and outside the Medina to take photographs and introduced the group to some superb restaurants which we wouldn't have found otherwise. Highly recommended.

Braintree, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Ten days isn't enough but.....”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect when we booked this 10 day photography tour, everything looked good on paper but the experience was far better.
Darren and our driver Hafid (think I've spelt his name correctly) met us at Marrakesh airport and then we met our fellow photographers, 2 Australians, 1 New Zealander and a Spanish guy who resides in the UK.
All our accommodation was good and the food although a bit samey was delicious and very Moroccan.
Hafid our driver was fantastic at negotiating the tight bends and mountain roads we had to traverse to reach our destination every day.

The itinerary was well thought out by Darren with something for every photographer no matter whether you are into Landscape, street or people pictures.
All the people we met were very friendly and so accommodating, inviting us into their homes and their lives.

Probably the only downside to the whole trip was the amount of time spent traveling between locations but some sacrifices have to be made and at least the mini bus was air conditioned and the ever changing scenery helped.

I would certainly recommend this trip to any photographer who wants to see a good cross section of Morocco. the photography aside the trip would also be good for those not wishing to take serious images but get a feel for another country.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Moroccan dream in 8 days”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I booked this particular 8-day photography and cookery course holiday as a treat for my 40th birthday. I've never booked a solo holiday before, so I was feeling trepidatious, however Darren and his wonderful wife Naima really made me feel at ease and in safe hands. I've always wanted to visit the richly colourful Morocco, and Essaouira is a beautiful introduction. I've been an amateur photographer for over 20 years, but Darren subtly challenged my mildly stubborn views and it feels great to be critiqued by a professional. My trip focussed on abstracts, portraits, and landscapes. Afterwards I couldn't help seeing everything in abstract which makes for great original travel photos! The 2 cookery sessions were lovely, though my trip coincided with Ramadan so I felt like I couldn't really 'tuck in' in front of those fasting. A good holiday always makes you feel like you want more. I want more and I want to return!

Visited July 2013
Switzerland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Essaouira and the Atlas - fantastic 8 day photography and cookery tour”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We have just returned from an "Images in the Sun" 8 day family photography and cookery tour (Essaouira and the Atlas) with Darren and Naima, which I would highly recommend to anyone interested in expert photography tuition at all levels, Moroccan cookery and discovering Moroccan culture.

We visited some amazing locations (Essaouira Medina and port, Ait benhaddou, an oasis, the Atlas mountains, Dades valley...) and were privileged to meet and photograph several Moroccan families. Darren is an experienced, funny and patient teacher providing opportunities and tuition for different styles of photography (portrait, reportage, landscape, abstract, black and white...). We all improved throughout the week technically and also discovering our different styles which were interesting to compare in the reviews of our photographs.

The organisation of our tour and attention to detail was excellent. Each of the Hotel/Riads were carefully chosen by Darren and Naima for comfort, location and their warm welcome and the food was always great. It is well worth taking some time in Essaouira to learn Moroccan cookery with Naima who is an excellent cook - we loved the tour of the spice market to buy ingredients for the sweet tagine we made!

Thank you Darren and Naima for a wonderful and memorable week!

Visited May 2013