“An amazing week of photography and experiences”

Images in the Sun Tours
Ranked #18 of 61 Tours in Essaouira
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Day Tours from Essaouira every Wednesday & Sunday into the local countryside visiting a country market (souk). Both photography and cooking workshops available.
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I have just got back from a week in Morocco on this course. I have attended a variety of day courses and meet ups in London, but the week with Darren was by far the most useful tuition I have ever had. There were some very challenging moments, but I think we all improved precisely BECAUSE we were taken out of our comfort zone. Darren gave us so much technical and creative guidance and I really felt that I knew what I was doing with my camera by the end of the week. The approach of a different focus each day made me look at things around me in a whole new light, and I can't wait to get out with my camera and put my skills to further use now I am home. The Riad we stayed in was great, and Darren organised a different restaurant for each night. He was a great source of information on Moroccan lifestyles, culture, food etc. We went to places and met people we would never have done on our own. He was great at organising additional activities such as Hammam and cooking classes. Essaouira is a lovely place too - it is very relaxed, very friendly, and wonderful for the summer as the strong breezes keep the temperature down. I stayed on for a few days at the end in a Riad down by the beach, and it is also a lovely place for sunbathing by the pool, trying kite surfing, camel rides etc. I really can't recommend this course enough. It was great to spend time with other enthusiasts and I think we all got a lot out of each other's feedback, as well as Darren's. I would love to go back to do another trip with him!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"camera"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just got back from a great week in Essaouira on Darren's photography course. The riad was lovely with attentive staff and a lovely roof terrace. Darren's tuition was good, pointing out our strengths, lots of technical advice and guidelines for improving composition and execution. Everyone in our group of 5 improved through the week as a result of having the room to go beyond our comfort zones and try new types of photography (reportage and portraits for me). The best thing about the experience was getting to know the group and we're already planning to meet up and take more photos now we're back in London!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I undertook the 10 day Atlas Tour in May and consider myself an intermediate DSLR user. It was definitely one of the best photographic tours I have ever been on and have many incredible memories as a result. Morocco is a stunning country as it is, but Darren and Naima's itinerary is unique, well thought-out, and jam-packed full of an impressive range of opportunities for all interests. It was particularly great to find that, not only had meetings been arranged with locals, but there was flexibility to accommodate the unexpected and make the most of photographic opportunities as they arose, such as stopping for a portrait of a shepherd we encountered crossing the Atlas. Meeting the people and families was one of the highlights and Darren was always on hand to offer tips and advice, as well as ensure stops were timed to make the best use of the light. As a solo female traveller, I felt completely comfortable in their company and Moroccan hospitality is warm and generous. Unquestionably, I saw a Morocco that the vast tour groups driving down to the dunes and back to Marrakech in the space of 48hrs miss. I will definitely be back for an Essaouria visit soon!

1  Thank Charlotte B
Reviewed 9 April 2014

If you are interested in photography, Moroccan cooking, culture and visually stunning sites this is a "learning vacation' like no others. We spent a stunning week with 7 wonderful "classmates", Darren, his wife Naima, her sister and the fascinating people of Essaouira, Morocco. Darren was a patient, humorous and experienced teacher, not only in photography (excellent) but in the culture and history of the area. Naima showed us how to shop for spices and fresh ingredients and then proceeded to show us how to turn them into mouth watering meals. Darren expanded and improved my wife's love of photography and educating me as a stumbling novice. We both came away wishing the trip was longer and counting the days until we could come again. A most do vacation sometime in your life!!

2  Thank SLHull783
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have recently returned from a photographic tour of the High Atlas Mountains with Darren and his wife Niama. This was the third tour I have been on with Darren and it was really very good. Photographically there were loads of great oppotunities whether you were intereseted in people, landscapes or architecture: many of these were quite special and down to Darren's intimate knowledge of the area and access to the inhabitants.

The tour was very relaxed, travelling in the the 4x4 was very comfortable both Darren and his wife are great company. All the hotels we stayed in were different in character but all great places to stay and some of them offering fantastic food.

If you want a great photographic experience with access to some unique people and places then Darren is the man to take you there. I am just hoping that he will come up with something new for me to try next year.

You can check out my images at:

Brian Law