“Amazing and unexpected”

Ranked #10 of 285 Restaurants in Essaouira
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: To find our restaurant in the Medina is not easy thus here is about indications: if you come from the outside from the Medina Bab (door) Marrakesh to take the second street to the right and to follow arrows. If you come from the medina to ask for it the door bab Marrakech or the street SIDI ABDAHLLA and follow her(it) arrows ring (at the top has right the bell) and we shall come to open you and Riad du XVIIIeme discovers her( before discovering the slate which Serge (the parton chef) will explain you and after ben it will be has you to tell it to us ...........
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I ate there on our fourth night in Essaouira. We were tired of the food at our hotel and I asked our hotel to book O'Bleu Mogador. I was apprehensive on booking, since it was advertised in the tourist maps and recommended by our hotel (most of the time those restraurants are never great) but I decided to anyways. We decided to go to town a little early and walk around, since it was Ramadan it was a terrible experience. We decided to arrive at the restaurant 1 hour early and they were happy to seat us. The space is not difficult to find, if you look for the blue arrows on the sides of the buildings. The space only holds 6 or 8 tables and has a causal, yet intimate feeling. The kitchen is somewhat open to the seating area, so you really feel like the amazing chef is only cooking for you. I have no complaints on the food or service. The menu was freshly written for us while sitting down and was presented to us by the chef. All fresh, amazing dishes, mixing French and Moroccan influences. The portions are quite large, but you will find yourself eating more, even though you are full. I will say that this is the first experience that we had in Morocco where the staff actually seemed happy at their jobs. Their smiles were contagious and you felt right at home!

1  Thank Swimbri

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Fantastic food and wonderful customer service. We had an amazing meal and the French chef was passionate about his food! Great Moroccan wine too. By far the best meal out in Morocco.

1  Thank PipOldrieve
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Brilliant , charming, great value, food superb. Atmosphere great - what a find.
Difficult to find but worth the effort

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Down a little back street off the darb Tangier. I though id have trouble finding it but its actually quite well sign posted. I arrived a little after 7 (i like to eat early) they open at 7. They looked a little surprised to see me when i arrived but sat me straight down at a table in the slightly cluttered ground floor seating area. The restaurant is in an old Riad in the heart of the medina and although the decoration was not really to my taste, the food was.

A lovely little amuse bouche of olive tapenade (a little salty) and another of a sort of octopus salsa (lovely!) with those lovely encrusted warmed bread rolls that you find throughout Morocco.

I decided to have a beer and was rewarded with the wonderful amber lager Casablanca. A really excellent beer with three ingredients and no preservatives! - I really recommend this beer - !

I then had the Turbot which came with a few clams and a green vegetable cream and wine sauce. the Fish was moist and seasoned well if the sauce was a little of quilter. However i have to say i enjoyed it.

This was followed by an assiette of deserts, of which the cherry sorbet was terrific! the crumble was tasty (but the actual crumble itself was a little light weight for an Englishman such as myself). The was also a peach something or other (in a sort of rose water) which i didnt much care for, and a lovely chocolate mouse.

Over all a lovely meal, with a attentive and charming waiter who was determined to speak to me inEnglish despite my perfectly adequate French and the charming and robust Chef who talked me through the menu himself.

Overall my favorite dinning experience in Morocco to date!

If you go, go early, you'll be spoilt rotten with out being overwhelmed.

2  Thank capataz
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Went here for dinner (following the great reviews) and could not believe how happy my tastebuds felt :) The chef is amazing, his cooking is truly inspired :) highly recommend it!

It's a bit tricky to find the place, but you can follow some blue arrows and signs to the hidden gem :)

Expect to spend more than at other restaurants in Essaouira (it's completely worth it)

The meal will take a few hours as every dish comes at a steady pace

LEAVE ROOM FOR DESSERTS!