“Traditional Riad.”
Review of Riad Al Madina

Riad Al Madina
Ranked #30 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This Riad was much better than expected, given the previous bad reviews that nearly put us off. It is in a great position right in the middle of the medina, but not too noisy, apart from the early morning call from the muezzin at 5.30am! The rooms were charmingly decorated and fairly comfortable, although the bathrooms were a bit basic. We only had dinner on one night and the food was very good. Breakfast buffet was accompanied by freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee and pancakes delivered to the table. The staff were helpful and pleasant.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

charming little hotel in the heart of the medina. close to everything; shopping, food, sea, sights. the staff were very polite, serviceminded. delious maroccon food. the arcitchture was somethings special with a green oase in the middle. worth the money for sure!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Riad al madina was the second riad we stayed in during our trip to morocco. We had high expectations after a perfect stay in a riad in Marrakech and were so disappointed to arrive at the riad al madina, and be welcomed...well I say welcomed I mean handed a card to fill out by the unfriendly receptionist and give a key to our room. The man who brought our luggage to the hotel also rudely demanded a higher tip from the other family who arrived with us! Great start! No smiles, no hellos how are you's, just fill out the form and go up to your room. Aesthetically the riad was okay, but the atmosphere there was just so depressing we never hung around for too long! The staff there were just so unfriendly, unlike all the other people we met in Morocco. The room was spacious and nicely decorated but was situated on the busy market street and we were woken up constantly by horses which were so loud that it sounded like they were in our room, people walking and talking outside all sounded like they were in our room. The bathroom was not very nice at all and the whole floor would get soaked at every shower. For some bizarre reason they had doors at the top of the stairs and the bottom so at night we were trapped on the top floor! On several occasions we wanted to go out for the night and couldn't and we couldn't reach staff as our room telephone didn't work. We would ask the man who looked after the riad at night why they kept shutting these doors and he said for security, but I fail to see the security we had being trapped on the top floor of a riad. He was so unhelpful and didn't even care that we wanted to go out or come back in.
Essaouira is a lovely lovely place and I would defiantly go back but the riad al madina is the most depressing place I have ever stayed, but I mainly out this down to the staff.

Room Tip: If you want a good room choose a good riad, not this riad!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Nataliajames1990
Reviewed 1 August 2013

From the beginning, this riad was a bit disappointing. Upon check in, we weren't given any information about our stay, the city, etc. The woman at the check in desk was unfriendly to the point of being almost rude. We were checked into our room, which was tucked away in a part of the riad away from the main courtyard and up 4 flights of stairs. The room looks out onto a busy street of the medina and it's really quite loud at all times of night and day. There is no fan or windows apart from those that open up onto the street so unless you want to be hot, you will have to deal with the noise. There was no wifi in the rooms, no complimentary filtered water, no bath products and when housekeeping took the towels at around 10 am, they were not switched out - they only returned the towels in the late afternoon so if you wanted to dry your hands or shower at any time midday, you were out of luck. Also, apparently breakfast was included in the price of our room but we were not told that so we didn't take breakfast and yet were still charged for it in the end. The staff, again, was quite rude about it when I objected to it being included in the bill. Poor value for money, rude staff, all around disappointing. Can't recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GlamNomad
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The location is really good, just off the main square in Essouira and a short walk to the port, the beach, the souks, the ramparts, the restaurants -- everything. It is an older property and definitely has some charm. The main building is traditional riad style with rooms surrounding an open courtyard. The rooms themselves are pretty basic and seemed a bit run down, but then this is not an expensive hotel by Essaouira standards so you get what you pay for. Breakfast is good and very pleasant too, being served in the open courtyard every morning. If you want luxury you won't like this hotel but if you just want a convenient place to stay Riad al Madina is very acceptable. I would stay again.

When I researched Essaouira online two main problems were mentioned, the proliferation of motor bikes in the medina (old town) and the deterioration of the ramparts. Supposedly motorized vehicles are not allowed in the medina but there are motor bikes roaring and beeping everywhere because the police can't be bothered to enforce the rules any more. Sooner or later (probably sooner) the streets here will be like Marrakech where so many bikes are jammed into the narrow alleys that walking around the old town is quite dangerous. As for the ramparts they seem in good condition on the town side which is the part most tourists see. I took a walk on the outside beside the sea (quite difficult to get to, you need to climb over a low wall near the rocks in the main square). On the sea side there is terrible damage to the walls and obviously nobody is fixing it. Also the rocky area outside the walls is littered with disgusting rubbish. Essaouira is lovely town, potentially world class as a beach resort. It's a shame to see the city authorities let this World Heritage location deteriorate. By the way if you get a day without strong wind then that's the time to take a walk along the beach. On really windy days it's impossible because of wind blown sand.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank gerrot v
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This riad is a feast for the eye, but once you enter the room, it's a different story. Our rooms were small and dark, and the bathrooms needed renovation badly. My friend and I each booked a 30-min hammam with exfoliation session. We were asked to go together. We presumed we'd be treated separately by two ladies. When we arrived at the spa, the lady at the reception desk asked us to pay first. Then she left us in a small hammam room where we splashed ourselves with hot water, applied black soap all over our bodies and waited. Later she appeared again in swimming suit. It turned out that she was the only one to scrub us. The so called exfoliation was a joke. It lasted for 3 mins max in total for the two of us. I can do much better than that with a loofah. And there was a hygiene problem. We had to lie on a massage platform to be scrubbed. After my friend was done, the woman poured a bucket of water over the massage platform to "clean" it. Then she rushed me to climb up the slippery platform and lie face down, where traces of black soaps were still visible. My forehead rested on the towel soaked with my friend's sweat, and the woman scrubbed me with the same mitts she just scrubbed my friend with. It's so disgusting. After a minute the woman poured a bucket of water over my body and announced it's done. I wanted to clean myself with more water but the lady threw me a wet towel and signalled me to go. We were supposed to get 30 mins each. We arrived at the spa at 6 pm, and we were all done at 6:30pm, including changing. The whole experience was so unpleasant. We did not feel refreshed or cleaned. It's a total rip-off. As we could not find any management staff around, we complained to the hotel manager the next morning before we checked out, he just couldn't care less. He said he could do nothing about it. The worst thing was that both my friend and I found itchy, angry red bites all over our faces, necks and shoulders . As we did not share a room, and the other 6 people in our group did not get the bites, we're certain it's a souvenir from the spa. So think twice before booking the spa service at Riad Al Medina in Essaouira.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This was my third stay at Al Madina over a period of 12 years. First time was excellent, second good, this one not so good! There is a difference between 'rustic' and rundown. Rooms were clean enough but looking very tatty. Seating area on the roof terrace left lot to be desired. Staff were nowhere near as friendly as before and service was very slow and almost non existent sometimes! Shame as it's in a great location and still has heaps of potential to be as good as it used to be.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends