We enjoyed our stay over New Year and would gladly return!
This place is in the hills, a 15-20 minute drive from Essaouira. There's not much within walking distance and we did wonder if we would feel isolated. We like to get out and about and particularly like to try different food in the evening. So this was a bit of a departure for us.
The grounds are beautiful. There are two swimming pools, one heated which is advertised as a quiet, adult only pool. There were children using it when we were there but it was December and I imagine the other pool was very cold. There were plenty of sun beds and space for everyone without it feeling crowded. Staff visited mid morning to take drinks orders.
We stayed in Luxe room number 20, in a separate building, near the heated pool and the spa. It was beautifully furnished with a huge bed and bathroom and a lovely sunken bath. There was a covered seating area at the front and a little patio at the back with a table and chairs and a sun lounger. It was lovely and quiet.
The food at this place was fantastic, some of the best we have ever had in a hotel. The kitchen is open at the front of the house and we were encouraged to go in at any time. Breakfast was the usual fruit salad, yogurts, breads and a choice of egg dishes. Ahmed was very helpful and predicted our omelette order after a couple of days. We don't speak french but learnt a few words and managed fine. Lunch choices were different every day and appeared on a blackboard on the terrace outside the house where it was served. We tried hard not to eat too much but the choices were too tempting!
The special evening menu was written on a blackboard after breakfast every day and you write your room number on it if you want it. There is also an al la carte menu and you can have a course from the special without having the whole thing. We sometimes just had a starter as the food was quite rich. There's a separate, quiet dining room for adults and we found this to be a peaceful and tranquil place to eat. Omar (Moro) was really lovely and attended to our every need. New Years Eve was very special. Multiple courses which were amazing!
We had a hamman and massages at the spa. A very relaxing experience.
We did drag ourselves away from the property to visit Essaouira. The shuttle can be booked from reception. Depending on its availability you can just ring when you're ready to come back and they will send it for you. So no set times which meant we could go out for a evening meal without having to rush for a specific pick up time.
Everyone was genuinely interested in our experience there. The owners often came by at meal times to ask how things were. There were a lot of children there, one breakfast morning seemed very noisy but I think we'd chosen the wrong table. We weren't really bothered but obviously visiting outside of the school holidays will be quieter. We will definitely be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Essaouira hills, sheltered from the high winds in a magnificent natural setting formed over millennia by the Ksob Oued (river), the Jardin des Douars is a beautiful guest ksar (palace) dedicated to lovers of nature, authenticity, simplicity and kindness. A guesthouse of charm in voluptuous forms, constructed in accordance with Moroccan traditions and materials, combining a subtle refinement of decoration with the luxuriance of a garden for real relaxation and simplicity. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, MrandMrsSmith, Ebookers, Odigeo, Prestigia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK) and Priceline so you can book your Le Jardin des Douars reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Jardin Des Douars Hotel Essaouira
- Le Jardin Des Douars Essaouira