“Friendly, central and clean”

Hotel Les Matins Bleus
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We stayed in the "suite" which had two double beds, one on a small mezzanine level and the other in a separate side room. Both were meticulously cleaned during each day we stayed. The staff were very friendly and it felt more like staying in someone's house than in a hotel. No air conditioning here but Essaouira is quite a cool town anyway so not really necessary. The included breakfast was good and the price was definitely right. And finally, the location is superb - right in the centre of the Medina (old town) down a quiet dead-end street; you can walk to anywhere in the Medina within 5 mins at the most.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank darq
There are newer reviews for Hotel Les Matins Bleus

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Our visit to Essaouria and Les Matin's Bleu was the highlight of our two week holiday in Morroco. The outstanding friendliness of the staff made us feel welcomed & at home in this beautiful riad.

Situated in the heart of the town you are moments from the hustle and bustle of shops, restraunts, the sea and souks. Walk inside and it's very chilled out with a candlelit den, great for relaxing with a mint tea, or go upstairs to sun bathe on the terrace. We had one of our tastiest meals here too and also had a little cooking lesson with Myriam which was very enjoyable, tagine heaven!

Overall this is a clean, comfortable & good value riad with lots of charm. A fab location with staff who go to extra trouble to ensure you have a great stay. Thankyou so much to all the staff for making our visit perfect!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vicnbob
Reviewed 4 September 2009

My husband and me spend 4 wonderful days in essaouria (a beautiful city definitely worth a visit!!!) and stayed in this beautiful riad!

it was definitely our best accomodation during our 3 1/2 weeks travel through morocco.

The friendly and warm welcome and the refreshing colours, the simple, but lovely decorated room, the blankets, the tables, the roof terrace, the pictures... everything was really great! the service was great, we got some good advices and bought great things in one of the shops recommended for a fair price! cooking with miriam was just great and we learned a lot about moroccian food! also spending time with yussuf (one of the brothers) was really relaxing and it was just really good to get to know more about the morrocian culture!

the riad is in the middle of the medina in a quiet dead end road... you are in the middle of the action, but also in a relaxed and quiet place!

i can´t say what i liked most... i just liked everything about the riad.
spottless clean (cleaned every day). european style bathrooms. a very good standard.
very cosy rooms, quite big for morrocian standard! a big bed, a table in the room and tables on the roof terrace and in the courtyard.

the breakfast was amazing! freshly baked treats from mirijam, croissants, etc.
and they also observed very good - my husband and me e.g. did not like the bread so much, so the 2nd morning we bought a baguette to eat with the breakfast and the morning after we got baguette instead of the bread... very observing...
they want to make you feel at home and want you to have a perfect stay!
the staff are very very helpful and friendly.
and the coffee is REALLY GOOD!!!!

all in all i can definitely recommend this riad!
if you want to have a great time in a beautiful city add this beautiful riad and your trip will be just perfect!!!!!

Reviewed 26 August 2009

I arrived In Essaouira on the 2nd of August, beginning of my trip. I wanted to practice windsurf this year so I decided to be based in Essaouira and eventually travel a little bit. After an on line and off line researches, I decided to be based at Riad at Les Matins Blue in Essaouira fro 10 days. Eventually strongly recommended. It is very central, inside the medina and the location is perfect but...

I stayed in room n.5, single room with outside but dedicated shower and toilet room, on the first floor. The room seemed simple, confortable and clean initially. Soon thereafter I discovered that eventually was very not so. After some days I was completely covered of blisters. And had to start medication soon.

Initially I could not think about the hotel as many other tourists and family also with children where staying there. So I thought it was something else maybe food intoxication or insects outside. I was being biten by insects instead.

The situation after few days was not at all improving with anthistaminic. So I decided to move on to another place.Once back in Italy I realized I had bed bugs in my room. I am having cortisone medication, antisthaminics and creams and cannot be in the sun for a long time.

This place was a nightmare for me.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank frantravels
lesmatins, proprietaire at Hotel Les Matins Bleus, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2009

Have you ever heard about “ bed bugs”? If not, just have a look on the internet (Wikipedia Punaises de lit).
These insects are easy to get, they are transported by guests from the mountains, the forest,…nature…if guests go to other regions they bring the bugs to the new hotel; this is what happened to the room where the guest stayed.
The hygiene of the hotel has nothing to do with this story, The standard cleaning of the hotel will not prevent these situations.
we were unhappy with this event and we were also helpful; we suggested her to change the hotel........ Neither the hotel, nor the guest were sure which kind of insect it was, so in the beginning it was difficult to give a good solution to the guest.
After we identified the insect that was giving the guest and us problems we closed the room and disinfected it. After this the room was re-openend for guests; since than no problems anymore

Reviewed 17 July 2009

We have recently returned from a 5 night stay at les matins bleus and were very impressed. The 5 star rating I've awarded is in relation to what the riad offers for its price. Clearly it's not a luxury establishment, but the rooms were very clean with comfortable beds; the breakfast was very good and the location of the riad is perfect.

However, the staff are what really made the stay for us. Abdel, Youssef and Samir were happy to help at all hours and nothing was too much trouble for them. They helped us to arrange horse riding and kite surfing and were happy to give directions and recommendations to excellent local restaurants. I actually left a jacket in one of the local restaurants and they've been superb in helping me locate it and sending it back to me in the UK for me. I would really recommend this place to anyone - it's such fantastic value.

The best place I found for sunbathing in Essaouira was at the jardins de villa maroc - a bus goes from villa maroc every morning at 11 to a fabulous place in the countryside with gardens, a pool and beautiful lunch for 180DH. The pool at the riad zahra can also be used for 50DH per day.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed for three nights and found the hotel relaxing and fun. There is certainly a buzz around the place that made it feel quite welcoming and informal. The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast was lovely. My only down side was the apartment we spent one night in had a slightly damp smell/ To be fair we were probably more sensitive to this as we had recently stayed in Pension Sekaya in Fez which was totally damp and left our clothes and bags smelling for days. Altogether we had a good stay at Les Matins Bleus and would happily stay there again and would happily recommend it to anyone. Clean, friendly and comfortable.

Reviewed 22 June 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights. Lovely place to stay. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Had lovely evening meal cooked by Miriam. Excellent location. Would stay again and recommend to anyone