Riad Zahra
US$196
Villa Gonatouki(Ghazoua)(Great Value!)
US$78
Hotels.com
All reviewsdownstairs restaurantthe ownerminute walkswimming pooltown centrelovely poolwalk along the beachtop floorno air conditioninglovely riadhorse ridingrooms are comfortablerelaxing staymoroccan stylepancakeshome from homesea view
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The primary reason for our trip was kitesurfing/surfing .

I found the staff at this facility excellent , always there when you needed them and couldn't be more accommodating.

there are two excellent restaurants on site which serve delicious food at a reasonable price.the included breakfast is basic but tastes great

The rooms are cleaned daily and to a high standard

Its a 2 minute walk to the beach and a 15 minute walk to the Medina.

The Riad will also arrange excursions upon request

The pool area is clean and well laid out , there are also resident turtles in/around the pool which is a nice touch.

All in all I highly recommend this Riad to people looking to kitesurf and explore the Medina as well as families

Room Tip: Upper floor , room 31 ,32 and 33 have good sea views , 31 has the best. 32 and 33 are quieter only downside is Wifi is bad in these rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
XavierEssaouira, Propietario at Riad Zahra, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Jered,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Riad Zahra.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the quality of food, service and room,

We hope to welcome you back to Riad Zahra in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed in Riad Zahra with my mum in late June and I can't recommend it enough. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel incredibly welcome and every part of our experience was wonderful.

I primarily came to kite surf in Essaouira and after being recommended Riad Zahra by the owners of Explora it exceeded our expectations.

The Riad itself is beautiful, the owners are superbly friendly and the staff are exceptional. The whole place has an incredibly positive vibe and it was a fantastic experience. The food is sensational and it is easily one of the best experiences I have ever had on holiday and I have travelled a lot. I think the part I loved the most was the genuine warmth of each and every staff member we met... was a very refreshing experience.

I 100%+ recommend to any kind of traveller :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
XavierEssaouira, Propietario at Riad Zahra, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your review and for recommending Riad Zahra, my team and I are happy to have made your stay an enjoyable one and I´m very happy to read that our hotel was able to answer your expectations .
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

After a four night stay in the heat and excitement of Marrakech we travelled to Essaouira in a private car organised for us by Xavier at Riad Zahra. We had stayed at the truly excellent and twice as expensive Riad Noga in Marrakech and expected a lower standard at the Zahra. Yes, the Noga was a more sumptuous property but the Zahra did not disappoint in any way at all.

A low key but friendly welcome set the tone for a great five night stay for my wife and I together with our two sons. Our room (no.20) was side room with balcony and was spotless and tastefully decorated. Our lads had a smaller room but again it was excellent.

We ate in the top floor restaurant on our first and last nights and the food is truly excellent. Run by the owners son it is a small but superb place with a fantastic sea view, especially as the sun goes down. Quality fresh seafood or a divine steak, you will not be disappointed.

The downstairs restaurant was very good with a good range for breakfast and good menus for lunch and evening dinners. In Marrakech we ate at our Riad and mostly in town. In Essaouira we did not need to eat out as the Zahra met all our needs.

The management and staff are always on hand. Always visible and friendly but never pushy or in your face. The staff from the room cleaners to the waiters are a credit to the hotel an I believe most have been at the Riad for some time.......and it shows. They are there to make your stay as good as it can be and they achieved this 100%.

It is true that the Riad is not in the prettiest location but this does not detract in anyway from a great stay. It is a two minute walk to a massive beach and a pleasant twenty minute stroll into town.

The pool at the Riad is a bit cool but just right in the warm weather. The resident tortoise's are part of the Riads charm and are very popular.

Finally a few tips. Room 20 is very spacious and would make a great choice for a family as it has two additional sofa beds.

Xavier (the manager) organised a mornings quad bike trip for us and it was one of the highlights of our stay.

As said before, do eat in the top floor restaurant, it is superb.

If you don't fancy a stroll to or from town, then a taxi will cost 7 or 8 dirhams.

Our best tip is if you are travelling to Essaouira then choose Riad Zahra, you will not be disappointed.

To Xavier, your wife, son and all your staff, thank you for a terrific holiday.

Room Tip: Room 20 is a spacious room for a couple or a family. The balcony was a handy little spot.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
XavierEssaouira, Propietario at Riad Zahra, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Stuart,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your kind and detailed review on Tripadvisor.
It is with pleasure that we read your comments and I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful, and enjoyed meals in ours Restaurants.
Our team is working hard every day to make our guest feels happy and your satisfaction is the best reward they could receive.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Many, many kind greetings for your family
Xavier, Edith, Jofre and all the team

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We arrived at the riad a few hours before check in and were greeted very warmly by the owner, given a tour of the grounds and made to feel very welcome by the pool whilst our room was prepared. The grounds are nicely planted and there is a sizeable swimming pool, which was normally dotted with three resident tortoises - quite the attraction in themselves!
The room was on the ground floor and was spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated.
Regarding meals, there was always a good choice at breakfast and we dined poolside most days as the lunch menu was delicious and the service was always impeccable. We took evening meals in the fish restaurant upstairs, where the dishes were always cooked to perfection and we ate some of the best fish courses we have ever eaten here. If you travel to Essaouira then I urge you to eat at the restaurant; it's better quality than cote plage on the seafront and less costly.
The riad is located two streets back from the beach and is around a 15-20 minute walk along the bay to the Medina. Essentially, it's the perfect location for the beach and a great nights sleep, within easy reach of the town centre.
In summary, I would highly recommend that you stay here if you are ever in Essaouira. The facilities are brilliant, the food is divine and the staff and owners are the most helpful and hospitable people we met on our trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
XavierEssaouira, Propietario at Riad Zahra, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I´m very glad we met your expectations. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful, and quality of food in our Restaurants was ´delicious and divine ´.
I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. Had a mini suite with a view of the ocean and pool. My partner was on crutches and they made us very comfortable. The owner and staff are always around making sure everything is perfect for your visit. The food in both restaurants was superb. This hotel is a 15 -20 min walk along a beautiful promanade to the medina. But the beach is right across the street. they have an unheated pool that is protected against the wind. Would definitely recomend this place to everyone. And make sure you eat upstairs at the grill restaurant. Beer is always cold!!!

Room Tip: pay the extra and get the view of the ocean!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
XavierEssaouira, Propietario at Riad Zahra, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the quality of food.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again soon and thank you so much for recommending Riad Zahra.