“Wonderful Old World Charm with Exceptional Service”
Review of Maison du Sud

Maison du Sud
Ranked #23 of 174 Essaouira B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Wonderful Old World Charm with Exceptional Service”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My fiance, girlfriend and I stayed here for three days in Spring - were provided a rooftop one bedroom riad suite with separate living room and it was absolutely wonderful. We had complete command of the rooftop louging area and were able to watch the sites of the Medina while enjoying our cocktails.

The hotel proprietor was gracious and accommodating and willing to help us in any way. The food at breakfast was great - fresh and appealing. I would highly recommend staying here - right in the heart of the Essaouira medina. A PERFECT location!!

Room Tip: Top floor - rooftop one bedroom - highly recommended!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank BluenoseBlonde10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
los angeles
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We had a great stay here, despite me being sick. Because I was sick, I had to spend a day in bed here, so I can attest that the rooms are comfortable. Our room was tasteful, clean and spacious, and the staff very friendly and courteous. They have a restaurant for dinner also, but we only had their breakfast - which was a basic Moroccan breakfast (breads, fresh oj, coffee/tea, yogurt). The location in the medina is fantastic. JFYI - they have wi-fi but it only works on the ground level.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank flowerchicken
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I joined others on a week's photography course with Darren Lewey - Images in the Sun -and enjoyed one of the best week's in a long while. Essaouira itself is very relaxed, charming, interesting, colourful, and the people are incredibly kind and welcoming. We were made to feel at home. The photography course was great, and Darren a very calm, friendly and thoughtful teacher. I learnt lots and wished I could have stayed longer to learn more; I visited places I wouldn't have ventured to alone; and I felt encouraged, supported and challenged in terms of getting the most out of my photography. I also made some wonderful friends with whom I shall return to the shores of Morocco for yet more photography adventures I'm sure! The hotel was great - situated in the centre of the medina, the rooms were full of character and the staff were very friendly and helpful and clearly take great care and pride in their work. The course, the hotel and the town are all highly recommended. A fabulous way to get away.

Room Tip: if available, request the roof top rooms.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Rebecca J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I enjoyed a week at Maison Du Sud in Essiouaira ffrom 6th to the 13th August. Despite the fact that the staff were all fasting for Ramadan, we were very well looked after and the restaurant provided meals and beverages for visitors. I was part of a photography group hosted by Darren Lewey and learnt an enormous amount whilst having great fun at the same time. The only comment I would make is to advise any visitor to request a room away from the street as there is very little sound insulation from street noises which carry on until the early hours of the morning. The week was wonderful and a stimulating learning experience. We will all be back in Easter next year for a follow up!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed at the Maison du Sud while I was taking part in a four day photography workshop with Darren Lewey. First of all, the accomodation was great! Situated right in the middle of the medina, Maison du Sud offers very comfortable and spacious rooms, a fabulous roof terrace and a quite and cool dining area where one can cool down after a hot day out in the medina.

I found this Hotel and Darren Leweywhile looking for a place to escape the cold of the German winter in February and also to learn some more about how to use my SLR. And both worked perfectly well in Essaouira! Thanks to Darren I learned how to use the basic functions of my camera like shutter speed, apperture and iso and thereby gained a lot of confidence in using my camera. Darren also took me to places in and around Essaouira where I would never have gone without him. Every evening we sat together and looked through the pictures of the day which I found was very helpfull to understand how a professional photographer sees pictures and to get first hand advice on what to improve on the next day.

So if you are looking for an oriental surrounding to improve your photography skills check out this hotel.
Thank you Darren for a great time in Essaouira!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I signed up for a photography holiday with Darren Lewey and the accomodation was in this gorgeous Riad. Located in the heart of the medina and close to the port, it is in an ideal location and the staff are attentive and kind. I had a lovely rooftop terrace room which was spacious and cleaned every day. The photography course was one of the best things I have ever done. Darren is a great teacher and somehow managed to get me taking the photographs that I had always dreamed of taking but never thought I could! The town is beautiful, so relaxed and the people generous and open. I would recommend the Riad for a holiday, the photography course for anyone wishing to progress with digital photography and Essaouira itself for a releaxing break away from the rush of Marrakesh!

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Perfectly located in the old walled city, Maison de Sud has lots of nooks to explore plus a roof terrace. My room had a loft where the bed was, and was warm enough , even in January.
The bath was a bit dark and moldy, but hey, this is right at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, and moldy wood and stone are part of Essaouira´s charm. The blue and green painted doors are just gorgeous throughout the medina.
Maison has blue Mediterranean type shutters which are easy to spot when you arrive.

The front desk staff was quite informative, even down to some details about special cotton curtains they have in the rooms.
The breakfast is upscale continental, strong flavorful cafe au lait, and the restaurant has a menu of the evening for a good price that proved to be delicious, candles everywhere around low tables and sofas for reclining, making this a favorite romantic evening meeting place fit for any caliph.

Room Tip: Just ask if your room could be improved upon; there are 3 floors and the roof terrace.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled solo