All reviews yogurt roof terrace call to prayer street noise local artists sitting room first floor baguette bring earplugs central location no elevator moroccan style light sleeper direct access breakfast was included tea coffee double bed
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I have just returned from one of the best holidays ever! Maison du Sud is perfectly situated in the centre of the busy Medina of Essaouira and yet once you step inside the riad you are greeted with a wonderfully calm and relaxed atmosphere. The hotel staff are all extremely friendly and helpful and the rooms clean,comfortable, spacious and full of character.
I was staying at Maison du Sud whilst on a photography holiday with Darren Lewey of Images in the Sun. As an enthusiastic amateur I was keen to improve my photography skills. Darren is a fantastic tutor, with seemingly endless patience and encouragement he taught me how to get the best from my camera, through both technique and composition.
In addition to the photography I was lucky enough to spend 2 great days cooking traditional Moroccan dishes with Darren's wife Naima.
Darren and Naima were extremely generous hosts and both went to great lengths to ensure that my visit to Essaouira was one to remember.
I can't recommend this holiday highly enough and am hoping to return next year!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kate R
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This Riad is superb. Right from arrival we were made to feel almost part of the family. The hosts are generous of their time and hospitality is superb. The staff at the Riad are all wonderful too, they go out of their way to be polite and helpful. Nothing ever seemed too much trouble. we had Room 19 which was beautiful and with heather, a perfect place to return to and relax in. The bed was very comfortable. The Riad is in the centre ,5 minute walk to the beach and port . Breakfast was made of many different parts from homemade preserves and toast ,panckakes ,fresh jus .... We found that after breakfast we didnt want to eat until the evening. The evening meal that we had at the Riad on the first evening because we arrived late was superb. We felt the cost of meals and drinks at the Riad was very reasonable throughout our stay. Do ask Brahim and Said to arrange the taxis for you from and to the airport. The cost was reasonable and you will be taken to and collected from the Riad. Essential for a first time visitor to Morocco ! If we return to essaouira it will be to stay at the Riad Maison du sud .

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at Riad Maison du sud in january and had an amazing time. The staff were so helpful and attended to our every need. My husband and I - we stayed in a beautifully decorated room and enjoyed breakfast in the courtyard. We enjoyed an evening meal at the Riad ,the staff were so great. the driver that picked us up from the airport was also nice .

This was an oasis of calm in the madness of Essaouira! A lovely, calm atmosphere, where nothing was too much trouble.

Do not hesitate to go there

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the riad as part of a yoga retreat. The staff was incredibly helpful and the food was great. I loved my split level room and the roof of the riad was great for lounging or having breakfast. It was centrally located in the Media, so it was easy to walk to everything. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were two friends travelling from the USA and perhaps our standards are higher? but I did not find this to be such a great place as others have said. We had room number 1 and our bathroom was very small with a sewer drain smell that was so foul we had to sleep with the bathroom door closed and a pillow over our heads. The bathroom shower area had mildew stains all over the tile and the door to the bathroom doesn't open the whole way. The towels were dingy and stiff and the room was constantly damp which made all of our clothes smell. The size of the room was good, the staff generally friendly and the location is good, but I cannot recommend this place as a good one to stay in. I don't think they know what a cleanser is. For me this place was kind of a dump. The rooftop area has a rundown feel with broken furniture.
If you are looking for a step above backpacking, yes this is the place for you. If you are looking for a nice place for a vacation stop, look elsewhere. Also, the food was completely tasteless which was a disappointment considering the wonderful spices Morocco has to offer.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends