“I Love Morocco!!!”

Ranked #23 of 175 Essaouira B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“I Love Morocco!!!”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have never been to Morocco before but Maison Du Sud certainly gave me the taste for it... The interior is amazing very traditional but still have the homely feel. The Staff were very friendly and very welcoming... they made the stay very relaxing and most enjoyable. Darren was a fantastic teacher and gave us a trip to remember taking us to places which were "hidden Gems". I have learnt a lot from him, composition and framing has improved massively and i have regained my passion for Photography. I would recommend this trip in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I have just returned from one of the best holidays ever! Maison du Sud is perfectly situated in the centre of the busy Medina of Essaouira and yet once you step inside the riad you are greeted with a wonderfully calm and relaxed atmosphere. The hotel staff are all extremely friendly and helpful and the rooms clean,comfortable, spacious and full of character.
I was staying at Maison du Sud whilst on a photography holiday with Darren Lewey of Images in the Sun. As an enthusiastic amateur I was keen to improve my photography skills. Darren is a fantastic tutor, with seemingly endless patience and encouragement he taught me how to get the best from my camera, through both technique and composition.
In addition to the photography I was lucky enough to spend 2 great days cooking traditional Moroccan dishes with Darren's wife Naima.
Darren and Naima were extremely generous hosts and both went to great lengths to ensure that my visit to Essaouira was one to remember.
I can't recommend this holiday highly enough and am hoping to return next year!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kate R
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This Riad is superb. Right from arrival we were made to feel almost part of the family. The hosts are generous of their time and hospitality is superb. The staff at the Riad are all wonderful too, they go out of their way to be polite and helpful. Nothing ever seemed too much trouble. we had Room 19 which was beautiful and with heather, a perfect place to return to and relax in. The bed was very comfortable. The Riad is in the centre ,5 minute walk to the beach and port . Breakfast was made of many different parts from homemade preserves and toast ,panckakes ,fresh jus .... We found that after breakfast we didnt want to eat until the evening. The evening meal that we had at the Riad on the first evening because we arrived late was superb. We felt the cost of meals and drinks at the Riad was very reasonable throughout our stay. Do ask Brahim and Said to arrange the taxis for you from and to the airport. The cost was reasonable and you will be taken to and collected from the Riad. Essential for a first time visitor to Morocco ! If we return to essaouira it will be to stay at the Riad Maison du sud .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at Riad Maison du sud in january and had an amazing time. The staff were so helpful and attended to our every need. My husband and I - we stayed in a beautifully decorated room and enjoyed breakfast in the courtyard. We enjoyed an evening meal at the Riad ,the staff were so great. the driver that picked us up from the airport was also nice .

This was an oasis of calm in the madness of Essaouira! A lovely, calm atmosphere, where nothing was too much trouble.

Do not hesitate to go there

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the riad as part of a yoga retreat. The staff was incredibly helpful and the food was great. I loved my split level room and the roof of the riad was great for lounging or having breakfast. It was centrally located in the Media, so it was easy to walk to everything. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were two friends travelling from the USA and perhaps our standards are higher? but I did not find this to be such a great place as others have said. We had room number 1 and our bathroom was very small with a sewer drain smell that was so foul we had to sleep with the bathroom door closed and a pillow over our heads. The bathroom shower area had mildew stains all over the tile and the door to the bathroom doesn't open the whole way. The towels were dingy and stiff and the room was constantly damp which made all of our clothes smell. The size of the room was good, the staff generally friendly and the location is good, but I cannot recommend this place as a good one to stay in. I don't think they know what a cleanser is. For me this place was kind of a dump. The rooftop area has a rundown feel with broken furniture.
If you are looking for a step above backpacking, yes this is the place for you. If you are looking for a nice place for a vacation stop, look elsewhere. Also, the food was completely tasteless which was a disappointment considering the wonderful spices Morocco has to offer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Myvatn
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the Maison Du Sud as part of the photography course organised by Darren of Images in the Sun. (Photographers should give it a try http://www.imagesinthesun.com).

The accomodation is spacious and comfortable and contained everything I needed. My room was quiet and unaffected by street noise. The Riad is located only about 5 minutes walk from the Port entrance of the Medina. Actually, the location is excellent.

The public areas are comfortable and very interesting and contain many interesting artworks from the adjoining gallery. They are changed regularly too.

Breakfast was good and plentiful and comprised bread, butter, preserves, freshly squeezed orange juice, tea or coffee. They also provide me with fruit (instead of preserves) upon my request.

The evening menu was interesting and well cooked and presented. I ate there 3 nights out of my 7 night stay and enjoyed every meal.

The wi-fi is only meant to work on the lower floor but I was lucky that my roon on the first floor had a signal, albeit not as strong as downstairs). However, there are plenty of quiet places in the public areas where you can connect and work if required. I had to work for a couple of hours each day and the signal never faltered.

I stayed at the Riad in January (2012) and so the evenings were cold but the room heater provided was more than adequate to compensate. The public areas were a little cold in the evenings but they are designed to counter the searing summer heat and are not meant for lower temperatures I guess. A sweater was enough to compensate.

During my stay I had a 24 hour food bug (caused by a kebab I bought elsewhere in the Medina). The staff at Maison du Sud were so friendly and helpful, recommending a pharmacy and cooking me plain rice and vegetables when I began to feel a little better in the evening.

One last point. I have never seen a hotel cleaned as thoroughly and as often as this place. It was spotless.

If I return to Essaouira I will stay in the Maision du Sud again, without hesitation.

Room Tip: The top floor is a bit of a climb but has great access to a balcony>