“A beautiful property run by friendly and helpful staff”
Review of Riad Watier

Riad Watier
Ranked #3 of 74 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 2 October 2012

From the moment we arrived at Riad Watier we were made to feel extremely welcome by Jean-Gabriel and his staff.
The riad is a beautiful property that has been renovated in a loving manner to create comfortable, spacious and attractive accommodation. The rooms are large, airy and tastefully decorated with lovely bathroom facilities. The breakfasts were delicious and served by a very attentive waitress, whilst the welcome drinks and free soft drinks were extremely well received.
The location is convenient for both the beach and the souks and Jean-Gabriel is full of excellent recommendations for the local restaurants, his suggestion to visit Elizir was a great one, the food was delicious.
I have stayed in many different kinds of accommodation on my travels and Riad Watier is without a shadow of the doubt one of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Riad Watier

Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

After two weeks of travelling around Marrakech, Fes and Meknes with the heat it was a delight and relief to check in the Riad Watier in Essouaira. Although still very warm there was a lovely sea breeze. The Riad is perfectly located in the centre of town 1 minute from one of the main streets through it. Our room was more like a suite given the size of it with its own secluded terrace. The staff were charming and helpful and Jean Gabriel himself is a very welcoming and interesting host. Breakfast every morning was served in the roof terrace. If you like sea food too this is wonderful place to finish your break.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank StevejFrench
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Lovely room with a balcony and indoor sitting area. Massage available onsite and a library of books to borrow. The owners were very helpful happy to escort me to an out of the way shop I needed to visit. All in all my daughter and I had a wonderful time there.

Room Tip: as far as I could see all rooms were excellent
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Family-Thomas
Reviewed 26 July 2012

As many reviewers mentioned, the personal touch provided by Jean and his staff was amazing. We visited in september to avoid some of the summerheath. Jean offered us several rooms to choose from, wich were in fact free upgrades. We chose a very big corner room with an amazing traditional open bathroom (Madani suite). Everything was very clean, and we enjoyed reading books in the library, playing with the tortoises in the courtyard and talking to other travelers.

If it's windy, breakfast on the roof can become somewhat of an adventure, but I guess you can have it somewhere else if you ask for it. Otherwise it's great.

Jean spend a lot of time with us, advising wonderful trips and restaurants. If a personal touch is you thing, I higly recommend this riad, especially with such an interesting and friendly host.

Room Tip: The Madani suite is perfect for couples.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Myself and 4 friends stayed in this riad on 17th June for 3 nights and we really could not fault it! Large, clean, beautifully designed, comfortable and more importantly brilliant staff!

Unfortunately due to a stomach bug I didn't get to have breakfast there but my friends said it was very good. The waitress who was serving breakfast even noticed I hadn't been down and came to the roof terrace where we were sunbathing to see if I would like to get anything? I work in hospitality industry in Ireland and this really is 5 star service!

We had dinner on our last night there also and this was perfect as we got to choose what we wanted.
We also got a great recommendation for dinner from Jean (cant remember the name unfortunately)on our second night which we enjoyed very much. Jean even walked us there!
I would have no problem recommending this accommodation to anyone as it was flawless :)

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I've travelled widely and stayed in some wonderful places, but this was the best. Riad Watier is beautiful. Everything about it is wonderful.

Jean is the perfect host: charming, intelligent, knowledgable, efficient, relaxed, kind, funny... He had excellent recommendations perfectly tailored to my wife, young daughter and I (and I know from talking to other guests he was just as good at showing them suitable things to eat, do and see.) All the other staff were splendid too - often above and beyond the call of duty. (Apologies for talking of matters lavatorial, but, to give one example, my four-year-old daughter had an upset stomach and made rather a mess a couple of times, and the maids were wonderfully understanding - and efficient in cleaning up.)

It was worth visiting just to talk to Jean about his life, his books and his art collection. But, on top of that, the Riad is lovely. It is itself a work of art, but one that is comfortable to live in. The food is great, the beds are huge and luxurious, it's clean and it's welcoming... We spent a wonderful four days there and I felt sad to leave. I want to go back already.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SamJOxford
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed for 2 days here as a break from the hassle and bustle of Marrakch
As mentioned before, the thing that makes Riad Waiter so special is the service. We were treated so nicely by Jean and the other staff there. Always greetwed witha smile!
After spending hectic and busy days in Marrakech we found Essaouira a very relaxing town, and teraace with the sea view was superb.
We would really like to return one day to this haven.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple